No announcement yet.

The RJ 1000: The top 1000 rock classics of all time Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Township is great...that whole album is amazing. Morello is my guitar hero.

I havent listed to Twonship in a while but the cowbell is freakin prominent...and yes, bullet in the head is better.

If you have to play the radio version of a song and it cuts out the last minute...well....not as classic

Comment

• Gregg- Your list is 100% solid - but "I'll Stand by You" aint rock and roll man, that's easy listening.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
        Observation: I am enjoying this very much and see that it is becoming more of a "favorites" list than a true top songs list. Which is not a problem with me, in fact its more fun. So....
        The THING that sets this list above sirius or others is that we have great musical diversity combined with people who actually know how to draft. I am personally thrilled at how this is going. I expect to expand my music knowledge as well as revisit forgotten friends. So much of these are the soundtrack of my life.

I believe we are all competitive enough to intertwine our favorites with the top picks available.

You are all doing a great job. I am enjoying the heck out of it,

Thank you all for playing!

Comment

• Originally posted by Pauly View Post
          Township is great...that whole album is amazing. Morello is my guitar hero.

I havent listed to Twonship in a while but the cowbell is freakin prominent...and yes, bullet in the head is better.

If you have to play the radio version of a song and it cuts out the last minute...well....not as classic
          [ControversialStatement]
          RATM - RATM is the greatest album ever made ... and IMO there's clear daylight between this and whatever comes next. Every track is a straight up killer, and the record will still sound just as vital, destructive, angry and relevant in 100 years time as it did the day it was released.
          [/ControversialStatement]

[notControversial]
          Tom Morello is a straight up genius and easily in the Top 5 rock guitarists of all time
          [/notcontroversial]

Comment

• RATM is an all-time classic, but it's a shame they never followed it up with anything remotely as good.
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
              RATM is an all-time classic, but it's a shame they never followed it up with anything remotely as good.
              I'd say the other records were decent with some really good stand out tracks ... but yeah, nothing eveng close to RATM.

There's a video floating around of their first ever live performance at a State Fair or something ... people just are randomly strolling past with their rucksacks and mullets, oblivious to the fact this is the first time this material is made public. This one ..

Comment

• Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                #99 - Mayonaise, Smashing Pumpkins

To go with the discussion...this song kicks today in the butt
                You could pick 6/7 songs of Siamese Dream and argue that any is the best: Rocket, Cherub Rock, Disarm, Soma ... I mean, mutherfucking Soma!

... but I still feel dirty for not indulging my nostalgia and picking a "Gish" track first.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                  Seriously dude? If you're going to engage people by talking shit about stuff they personally like, how can you expect them to respond positively and productively? Surely after all these years using messageboards you must realize that there is a right way and a wrong way to express yourself?

Take it from someone who's had their fair share of Internet drama down through the years ... if you haven't got something productive or positive to say ... say nothing. And if you must say something negative, which you seem compelled to do, do it in an overtly-over-the-top-emoji-laden-humorous-non-confrontational manner. Otherwise don't complain if your comments come back at you with some heat.
                  Talking shit? If that's how you see it.

If I said "Pulp fucking blows and anyone who likes them is a tosser". That's talking shit. If you think my comments equal that, that's on you.

Chance constantly "talks shit" on me liking Rush. Do I blow up on him? No. Because it's part and parcel of music discussions
                  "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Someone make it happen:

#102 Fist Fight In The Parking Lot - Crisis of Conformity

Comment

• I was about to challenge the identity of Steve 2.0 ... thankfully balance has been restored.

Comment

• Just noticed the first Bruce Springsteen pick. Over the years I have noticed a dearth of Boss love on RJ.

One of the only major acts we haven't had a unique draft for ... or have we ... don't think so.

Comment

• Love "She Sells Sanctuary".
                          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                          - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Another top pick goes with "A Day In the Life". But I could find a worthy pick even if 50 Beatles songs are off the board.
                            - Terence McKenna

Comment

• At the UArizona baseball game, I heard two of my picks, "Blitzkrieg Bop" and "Baba O'Riley", woohoo!
                              - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Hey Chance! Redbirds said, "take that"!
                                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Working...
                                X