The RJ 1000: The top 1000 rock classics of all time Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
    Just a couple of fun facts about Sky Pilot other than the obvious important Vietnam era anti-war protest song.

It was one of the first 45's released in the US in Stereo. It was so long it was both the A and B sides (you had to turn it over to hear the whole song). Also because of it's length it did not get a lot of air play or make AM top 40 lists.
    I don't think I'd ever heard that one, nice pick!
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Great pick with the Star Spangled Banner Steve!! What a monster epic version of that tune! Best.ever.
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
        I don't think I'd ever heard that one, nice pick!
        Thank you.

Sky Pilot is military jargon for a military clergyman within the ranks.

I was 15 when it came out. The Vietnam war was a constant always there in all of our lives at that time. This song represents a lot of what we were thinking and feeling at the time.

From our pick perspective it would have been easily in my top 10, but I figured most either would not be familiar with it or have forgotten about it. I have considered it after my first 5 or so figured it was time.

Comment

• overkill - A lot of BOC tunes are spooky. Joan Crawford scares the heck out of me every time I listen to it, also.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Especially something like "7 Screaming Diz Busters" What's a diz buster and why is it screaming at me? And why are there 7 of them?!?!

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
              overkill - A lot of BOC tunes are spooky. Joan Crawford scares the heck out of me every time I listen to it, also.
              A distinct lack of cowbell in that one.

Comment

I shoulda known revo would take that song. I mean, he has to support the musicians who are also financial guys!
                Haha, is he? I had no idea. I did know that he was the former lead singer of The Jaggerz, who had an early 70s hit with "The Rapper." I'll have to read up on what he's doing now.

overkill - A lot of BOC tunes are spooky. Joan Crawford scares the heck out of me every time I listen to it, also.
                Blue Oyster Cult -- Stony Brook University's claim to the rock world!

Comment

• Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                  Here you go.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                    LOL...tis true. I have a lot of fond memories from Agents of Fortune. I learned to throw knives to that album.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                      Haha, is he? I had no idea. !
                      Yeah, he's the owner of a mortgage firm somewhere in Pennsylvania. A buddy of mine living just outside of Pittsburgh had his mortgage with his company.

Comment

• Love "Jane" and "Astronomy"

BOC never seemed to get much love here other than their BIG 3 hits. I'm a huge fan of theirs. Always thought they were overlooked because their 70's output is phenomenal.
                        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

BOC has their own distinct sound and it can be creepy and sinister. Like there is something lurking just beyond the edges.....

Comment

• "DAWNIE" Iris is huge in da 'burgh. He made some really good music and should have been a lot bigger nationally.

Comment

• And Pauly snakes Gregg E. on 500 miles.

Love that song and played it to my two young girls (about 3 and 7) while we were waiting for mom to come out of the grocery store. Cranked and we sang at the top of our lungs (badly). Turned it down as mom came out acting if nothing had happened.

Mom "So why are all of you smiling like that?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                                Love "Jane" and "Astronomy"

BOC never seemed to get much love here other than their BIG 3 hits. I'm a huge fan of theirs. Always thought they were overlooked because their 70's output is phenomenal.
                                I've always been drawn to them but never quite became a superfan. Their greatest hits was one of my first CDs when I was 15, they were my first ever concert, and when Napster came around I was able to sample a lot of their non-hits (most of which I liked). It's hard to catch all the way up with a band who's been around for 50 years but I should at least dig in a little more.

Comment

Working...
                                X