Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pondering Political Parties.

Quote Originally Posted by DMT View Post
    And address climate change, which the Trump party thinks is a hoax.
    I view that as part of "the government can and must take action to … reduce suffering".

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Fly View Post
    I view that as part of "the government can and must take action to … reduce suffering".
    On a world wide stage or only within our borders?

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    On a world wide stage or only within our borders?
    That gets at the means and priorities debate that I referenced in my earlier answer, but on climate change I think it's na´ve to think that it can be addressed by individual countries within their own borders. I think it poses a threat to all peoples and requires international collaboration around solutions.

Journeyman
    That gets at the means and priorities debate that I referenced in my earlier answer, but on climate change I think it's na´ve to think that it can be addressed by individual countries within their own borders. I think it poses a threat to all peoples and requires international collaboration around solutions.
    How can we get China and India to buy in?

Quote Originally Posted by nots View Post
    How can we get China and India to buy in?
    India is a democracy, so the electorate there needs to insist upon it, just as in the US. As for China, that's tougher. But if all the other world powers are coming to the table, it should put some real pressure on Beijing to step up. They are already proving ready, willing and able to try to profit from the green energy sector, so they may be able to align their economic interests with global environmental interests.

India is a democracy, so the electorate there needs to insist upon it, just as in the US. As for China, that's tougher. But if all the other world powers are coming to the table, it should put some real pressure on Beijing to step up. They are already proving ready, willing and able to try to profit from the green energy sector, so they may be able to align their economic interests with global environmental interests.
    I think that is a lot to ask, many of them are just struggling to survive. It's unfortunate that they are also suffering so much from the effects of global warming.

https://www.soschildrensvillages.ca/...y-in-india-602

Two-thirds of people in India live in poverty: 68.8% of the Indian population lives on less than $2 a day. Over 30% even have less than $1.25 per day available

Wikipedia doesn't paint such a bleak picture. (Lol, don't trust the first link in a Google search)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poverty_in_India
    Last edited by The Feral Slasher; 02-10-2020 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    I think that is a lot to ask, many of them are just struggling to survive. It's unfortunate that they are also suffering so much from the effects of global warming.

https://www.soschildrensvillages.ca/...y-in-india-602

Two-thirds of people in India live in poverty: 68.8% of the Indian population lives on less than $2 a day. Over 30% even have less than $1.25 per day available
    It's like asking Brazil not to cut down trees when it's their greatest natural resource... you need to figure out how to monetize oxygen on a global scale or something.
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

There is a lot of interesting stuff on global warming and poverty in India. How do you get the electorate to insist on it is a good question ?

In the general sense, the Democratic party now reminds me of the Republicans about 15 years ago. They also had a disruptive change of generation, except their happened more during a midterm election. Still, there was carry over to 2008 and the old guard candidate got smoked. Other than Mayor Pete and arguably Bloomberg, they are all old guard.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude