Pondering Political Parties.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
    India is a democracy, so the electorate there needs to insist upon it, just as in the US. As for China, that's tougher. But if all the other world powers are coming to the table, it should put some real pressure on Beijing to step up. They are already proving ready, willing and able to try to profit from the green energy sector, so they may be able to align their economic interests with global environmental interests.
    I think that is a lot to ask, many of them are just struggling to survive. It's unfortunate that they are also suffering so much from the effects of global warming.

https://www.soschildrensvillages.ca/...y-in-india-602

Two-thirds of people in India live in poverty: 68.8% of the Indian population lives on less than $2 a day. Over 30% even have less than $1.25 per day available

Wikipedia doesn't paint such a bleak picture. (Lol, don't trust the first link in a Google search)

Last edited by The Feral Slasher; 02-10-2020, 02:37 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
      I think that is a lot to ask, many of them are just struggling to survive. It's unfortunate that they are also suffering so much from the effects of global warming.

https://www.soschildrensvillages.ca/...y-in-india-602

Two-thirds of people in India live in poverty: 68.8% of the Indian population lives on less than $2 a day. Over 30% even have less than $1.25 per day available
      It's like asking Brazil not to cut down trees when it's their greatest natural resource... you need to figure out how to monetize oxygen on a global scale or something.
      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
        India is a democracy, so the electorate there needs to insist upon it, just as in the US. As for China, that's tougher. But if all the other world powers are coming to the table, it should put some real pressure on Beijing to step up. They are already proving ready, willing and able to try to profit from the green energy sector, so they may be able to align their economic interests with global environmental interests.
        There is a lot of interesting stuff on global warming and poverty in India. How do you get the electorate to insist on it is a good question ?
        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

In the general sense, the Democratic party now reminds me of the Republicans about 15 years ago. They also had a disruptive change of generation, except their happened more during a midterm election. Still, there was carry over to 2008 and the old guard candidate got smoked. Other than Mayor Pete and arguably Bloomberg, they are all old guard.

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
            So, the whole--What's best for the Party thing, coupled with a few articles stating--this is a fight for the heart and soul of the Party (from both Sanders and Biden camps) got me thinking--What DO the Parties stand for anymore? Here's my take (a non-factual, jest my thoughts and observations not to be misconstrued as anything absolute, opinion)

From my perspective, there are 4 distinct groups in play in todays politics. The Progressive Democrats, The Centrist Democrats, The Centrist Republicans and The Trump Republicans.

Centrist Dems and Repubs are closest in their desire to keep things as they've been, embrace incremental change and both share similar fiscal beliefs. They differ on social issues, some so keen they'll never form consensus

Progressive and Centrist Dems are on board with social issues, but differ in what role the Govt should play in things, Fiscal restraint and Changing/keeping the status Quo. I believe they can overcome differences if the Center moves toward the progressive platform as I don't see the Progressives budging from theirs and I believe Centrist Dems are less hardline about their differences with the Progressives than the Centrist Repubs are with their social differences with the Centrist Dems.

The Trumpers are their own group of special folks who won't ever get along with anyone. That they're in power right now is an aberration. However, as long as they think they're important, they can wield some power, especially if Centrist Repubs keep enabling their agenda to get a few things they want.

Now some will say, the Progressives and Trumpers aren't really Dems or Republicans, but what defines a party? Who defines a Party? I believe that whomever wins this election will make that determination. If it's Sanders--he'll define the Democratic platform going forward changing it forever, if it's Trump--he'll define the GOP platform essentially obliterating what WAS the Republican party. If it's Biden or another D Centrist, the Democratic/Republican Parties as have been know, should survive.

In any case, this is indeed an important election in the History of our country, that--I believe--Can't be overstated.

Just my thought's and ramblings--please feel free to share, contradict and pontificate your ideas/worries/hopes for the future of Political parties in this country.
            "Forever" is a long time. Being a relative old fart, I've seen a lot of "permanent change" and "death of the [fill in the blank] Party" over the years, including--

--the death of the Republicans in 1964
            --the "permanent" lurch left of the Democrats in 1972
            --the death of the Republicans in 1976
            --the "permanent" lurch right of the Republicans in 1980
            --the death of the Democrats in 1984
            --the death of the Republicans in 2008

Also--I believe the Centrist Dems don't have nearly the problem with the "progressive" Dems that the "progressives" have with...everybody, including the centrist Dems. By their nature the far wings are more stubborn than the centrists.
            Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
            -- William James

Comment

Working...
            X