Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: RJ consensus worst Democratic candidate?

Quote Originally Posted by nots View Post
    Maybe the question should be: who do you think will win the Democratic nomination? I would be more interested in those responses than who is the worst
    (No disrespect at all Gregg, I greatly appreciate your point of view and don’t want to step on your toes)
    Sanders

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by nots View Post
    Maybe the question should be: who do you think will win the Democratic nomination? I would be more interested in those responses than who is the worst
    (No disrespect at all Gregg, I greatly appreciate your point of view and donít want to step on your toes)
    No problem.

I don't think RJ has one yet. I thought there might be unity in the worst one. I am surprised that this question was much more complicated than I imagined.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    No problem.

I don't think RJ has one yet. I thought there might be unity in the worst one. I am surprised that this question was much more complicated than I imagined.
    The question to me is, do you want to win, or do you want ideological purity? And if the latter, whose ideology?

As far as I'm concerned, all the right ideology (whatever that is) mean nothing if you can't gain power. If your platform is good, and you lose the election, what does the platform matter? Look at the recent experience of the Labour Party in the UK. Some of their "manifesto" is very good stuff (as well as some of it being left-wing tripe), but their "leadership" was totally tone-deaf and unconcerned with the day-to-day lives of the electorate. They got their tails kicked by the Conservatives (led by a man with about as much morality as our President), and the good of the defeated parties' platforms will be as irrelevant as the bad.

If I'm as against President Trump as most here seem to be (and indeed I am), my concern is about winning--period. Perhaps some get some pleasure out of being right in principle, but I'd rather be right and in office. And while I don't see a way as of now for any of the remaining Democrats to win the general election, I'm also aware that (a) it's over eight months until Election Day, and (b) no one saw a way for the eventual Republican nominee to beat the "inevitable Clinton landslide" four years ago.
    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

There are only two remaining with more than one delegate, so who is worst now?

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Quote Originally Posted by onejayhawk View Post
    There are only two remaining with more than one delegate, so who is worst now?

J
    Still Trump

Quote Originally Posted by B-Fly View Post
    Still Trump
    I agree that Trump has no chance for the Democratic nomination. But, he doesn't have even one Democratic delegate, so he doesn't fit the criteria.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Quote Originally Posted by onejayhawk View Post
    I agree that Trump has no chance for the Democratic nomination. But, he doesn't have even one Democratic delegate, so he doesn't fit the criteria.

J
    But Sanders isn't a Democrat and is tied for the lead, so what are you saying--Trump can't beat either of them?
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.