Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 37 of 37

Thread: Mike Trout question/exercise

  1. #31
    All Star The Feral Slasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    6,343
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Not really - his thread was for inflation.
    I disagree

  2. #32
    All Star The Feral Slasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    6,343
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    You misread completely - it is one of many. It doesn't trump all. Not for me, and not for anything I recommend. I think it's important to focus on the details of one item so that you completely understand it so that you can utilize that tool. Just because I focus on the details doesn't mean that it's the only tool I have.
    Lets keep the politics out of this forum

  3. #33
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    25,077
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    You misread completely - it is one of many. It doesn't trump all. Not for me, and not for anything I recommend. I think it's important to focus on the details of one item so that you completely understand it so that you can utilize that tool. Just because I focus on the details doesn't mean that it's the only tool I have.
    I don't get the decoupling point--and you did state it was all about value in the other thread. You also turned a relatively simple inflation calculation into a complicated math formula in the other thread; it is fair to assume that this means that you find the math behind things to be of high importance relative to other factors. I guess I also disagree that you need to completely understand something like inflation to utilize it as a tool.

  4. #34
    All Star Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    5,521
    Quote Originally Posted by cavebird View Post
    I don't get the decoupling point
    I'm aware

    It's about separating your understanding of what a player is worth in terms of stats, vs what their price is going to be based on your league tendencies. Value and price are different concepts.

    Quote Originally Posted by cavebird View Post
    --and you did state it was all about value in the other thread.
    I believe you may be referring to when someone said that the best owners experience the effects of inflation the most. I said that wouldn't work on me for a variety of reasons, one of which was that I can bid on anyone, and additionally it would be hard to back me into a corner when I focus on value and I'm not trapped by having to win a specific category.

    Quote Originally Posted by cavebird View Post
    You also turned a relatively simple inflation calculation into a complicated math formula in the other thread;
    Strange, my conclusion was an extremely simple formula. I'm not sure how you see it as complicated. Projected Value minus (price / inflation)

    Quote Originally Posted by cavebird View Post
    it is fair to assume that this means that you find the math behind things to be of high importance relative to other factors.
    I believe understanding why something works and how it works is important, otherwise when you run into situations that are unique (like a category of players being bid up), you know how to handle it.

    Billions of people can drive cars. If I'm a mechanic, I'm more adept at handling an unexpected situation when my car breaks. I don't have to be a mechanic to drive a car, and 90%+ of the time I dont need to be. but it can help.

    I believe when we discuss cars lets discuss them like mechanics, not like drivers who don't understand how it really works under the hood.

    Quote Originally Posted by cavebird View Post
    I guess I also disagree that you need to completely understand something like inflation to utilize it as a tool.
    see above

  5. #35
    All Star Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    5,521
    Honestly with this kind of negative push back I'm done discussing inflation for this year. Either you "get" it or you don't. If someone else is interested in the topic they can take up the discussion and press it forward. Enjoyed it!

  6. #36
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    25,077
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Honestly with this kind of negative push back I'm done discussing inflation for this year. Either you "get" it or you don't. If someone else is interested in the topic they can take up the discussion and press it forward. Enjoyed it!
    I didn't see it as negative pushback. I saw it as two people disagreeing on the importance of a topic. If you don't want to discuss that, feel free not to say anything. If you want to, say something. I was going to go for a point for point disagreement with the previous post, but I guess I'll skip it if you don't want to engage. I'll just leave on the note that I do not think that "value" is that important---it's an artificial construct. The important inputs are price and production (i.e. HR's, RBI's, K's, W's, etc.). Value is an attempt to convert production into a single number comparable to price, which is always going to be an inexact science no matter how simple or fancy the formula.

  7. #37
    Journeyman TranaGreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    downtown
    Posts
    4,587
    For what it's worth I enjoyed reading this discussion.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •