Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Trout question/exercise

Hall of Famer

Mike Trout question/exercise

Ok junkies here is the set up and the question.

You are entering in a new AL only 5x5 OBP instead of Ave. 12 team $260 budget Keeper league. There will be the standard 14 position players and 9 pitchers. There will be a 15 man reserve draft after the auction.

Prospects cannot be bid on but picked up in the reserve draft. All the rest of the AL is available for auction.

Mike Trout is the first player to be bid on. How much will you pay for him?

$50-$55

edit - ehhhh, maybe a bit less since it's a new league and there will be no inflation? Still, would be surprised if he went for <$50. Personal preference to not spend that much on a single player for me, though.
    Last edited by SlideRule; 01-30-2020 at 07:46 PM.

yeah I'm of the same mind - I don't like putting all my eggs in one basket, and a Trout investment certainly would be that. Having said that, if the bidding was stopping at anything less than 60 I think I'd have to jump in.

Double-A
    I am in a similar league.... 12 team AL only that uses OB% instead of avg that is a keeper league with the same $260 limit. We have 2-3 owners each auction that don't spend much time in draft prep as compared to the others and show up on draft day with the same Stars and Scrubs plan. This causes bidding wars between these types of owners and drive up prices on the top talent.

We also have one another owner that does the 2 year plan. He also gets a few top players (no matter the cost) so he can cherry pick top keepers from other teams via trade early in the season. To limit really terrible dump trades, our league created an in season salary cap of $310 from draft day to the ASB and then increases to $340 from ASB to end of season.

Trout has been protected for since his first year ($5 initial contract and owner signed him to a 6 year extension to make him $35). If Trout were to be available to be bid on during the auction, I would say he would go $55 - $60 range and maybe a few $ over that. But with all that said, I also do not like to invest too much in a single player. I am more of a spread the risk type, so I would not go over $45 on him. I know there would be zero chance for me to get him at that.

$45 is about where I take my foot off the accelerator and I do not expect to win him at that price.

Triple-A
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    Ok junkies here is the set up and the question.

You are entering in a new AL only 5x5 OBP instead of Ave. 12 team $260 budget Keeper league. There will be the standard 14 position players and 9 pitchers. There will be a 15 man reserve draft after the auction.

Prospects cannot be bid on but picked up in the reserve draft. All the rest of the AL is available for auction.

Mike Trout is the first player to be bid on. How much will you pay for him?
    in a start up, if I could get fishboy for high 40's, I absolutely grab him. in year 2, inflation kicks in and the value begins to show.

hey Gregg, I am kind of jealous that you found a brand new a.l. start up. I wish I could...

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    hey Gregg, I am kind of jealous that you found a brand new a.l. start up. I wish I could...
    Then start one

Curious what his actual projected value would be. I would guess I'd be willing to PLAN to bid at least 53-54. Like TG I can see myself pushing 60 in the moment.

Welcome to the Big Leagues, Kid TS Garp's Avatar
    It's all about how comfortable you are having so much of your total budget invested in one player and knowing that if he goes down, your team is finished. With that said, in an AL-only, OBP league, his value is through the roof. $55, maybe a bit more.

RJEL is an 18 team mixed, and Trout is available for the 1st time in his career, IIRC. I would expect 60 to be the floor, and a possibility or someone going 70...maybe me? Or would I?
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis