Mike Trout question/exercise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ken View Post
    Not really - his thread was for inflation.
    I disagree
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

You misread completely - it is one of many. It doesn't trump all. Not for me, and not for anything I recommend. I think it's important to focus on the details of one item so that you completely understand it so that you can utilize that tool. Just because I focus on the details doesn't mean that it's the only tool I have.
      Lets keep the politics out of this forum
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

You misread completely - it is one of many. It doesn't trump all. Not for me, and not for anything I recommend. I think it's important to focus on the details of one item so that you completely understand it so that you can utilize that tool. Just because I focus on the details doesn't mean that it's the only tool I have.
        I don't get the decoupling point--and you did state it was all about value in the other thread. You also turned a relatively simple inflation calculation into a complicated math formula in the other thread; it is fair to assume that this means that you find the math behind things to be of high importance relative to other factors. I guess I also disagree that you need to completely understand something like inflation to utilize it as a tool.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
          I don't get the decoupling point
          I'm aware

It's about separating your understanding of what a player is worth in terms of stats, vs what their price is going to be based on your league tendencies. Value and price are different concepts.

--and you did state it was all about value in the other thread.
          I believe you may be referring to when someone said that the best owners experience the effects of inflation the most. I said that wouldn't work on me for a variety of reasons, one of which was that I can bid on anyone, and additionally it would be hard to back me into a corner when I focus on value and I'm not trapped by having to win a specific category.

You also turned a relatively simple inflation calculation into a complicated math formula in the other thread;
          Strange, my conclusion was an extremely simple formula. I'm not sure how you see it as complicated. Projected Value minus (price / inflation)

it is fair to assume that this means that you find the math behind things to be of high importance relative to other factors.
          I believe understanding why something works and how it works is important, otherwise when you run into situations that are unique (like a category of players being bid up), you know how to handle it.

Billions of people can drive cars. If I'm a mechanic, I'm more adept at handling an unexpected situation when my car breaks. I don't have to be a mechanic to drive a car, and 90%+ of the time I dont need to be. but it can help.

I believe when we discuss cars lets discuss them like mechanics, not like drivers who don't understand how it really works under the hood.

I guess I also disagree that you need to completely understand something like inflation to utilize it as a tool.
          see above

Comment

Honestly with this kind of negative push back I'm done discussing inflation for this year. Either you "get" it or you don't. If someone else is interested in the topic they can take up the discussion and press it forward. Enjoyed it!

Comment

Honestly with this kind of negative push back I'm done discussing inflation for this year. Either you "get" it or you don't. If someone else is interested in the topic they can take up the discussion and press it forward. Enjoyed it!
              I didn't see it as negative pushback. I saw it as two people disagreeing on the importance of a topic. If you don't want to discuss that, feel free not to say anything. If you want to, say something. I was going to go for a point for point disagreement with the previous post, but I guess I'll skip it if you don't want to engage. I'll just leave on the note that I do not think that "value" is that important---it's an artificial construct. The important inputs are price and production (i.e. HR's, RBI's, K's, W's, etc.). Value is an attempt to convert production into a single number comparable to price, which is always going to be an inexact science no matter how simple or fancy the formula.

Comment

For what it's worth I enjoyed reading this discussion.
                It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Working...
                X