A discussion on inflation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ken View Post
    Sour Masher, you hit on one of the key components that most people skip, which is considering the relative $'s not spent and nuking them for inflation.

But we can do that in a general formula, and it turns out some of the numbers cancel out.

Let's take a step back away from the problem for a second. What we really care is total value... at the end of the auction. Let's start by looking at what we would have if we don't keep anyone.

$260 (or placeholder, it works for any total budget) / (1 + inflation/100)
    So we are talking about 260/1.25 here = $208. If you don't do anything with keepers that is your base.

And the key is your total EV if you keep a player, vs if you do not.

Lets say I keep player Z. Reminder Player Z is on a $14 contract and you believe he's worth $40.

So I will have my $40 of value, and then I will have ($260 - $14) remaining. But that remaining auction money will be worth less due to inflation. Specifically 25% less. (one interesting nugget here, is that we are seeing that the more a keeper COSTS, the less I'll be subject to inflation during the auction - this is counter intiutive in the general sense - we all want our keepers to be cheap - but in fact when comparing two keepers we need to keep in mind that the more expensive a keeper is, the less money I will have left at auction - which sounds like a bad thing, but that means I'll have less money that is subject to inflation!)

So my EV for keeping player Z is $40 + ($260 - $14) / 1.25 = $40 + $246/1.25 = $236.8. In other words, if I keep player Z and no other keepers, my expectation should be to come out of the auction with $236.8 of total value (which is not good, I want more than $260!)

The "keeper value" of player Z is the $236.8 EV - my base $208 = $28.80 ******** Note, this is the value correctly scaled that we should use when comparing the values of different players. It's truly the net profitability of keeping this player.

So, Sour Masher, at this point you are thinking, "but you said I'd answer in 1 step, and you took more steps than I did".

... but there's a trick. Let's change our values into variables and look at the total equation.

Lets call our price too keep the player (in this case $14) X
    Lets call our valuation of the player (in this case $40) Y
    And lets call our total budget (normally $260) Z
    And lets call our inflation (our example was 25) i

The specific numbers don't matter. This formula works in all cases.

Above we said our base was 260/1.25. That is Z / (1 + i/100).
    And we said our EV for our whole team was 40 + (260-14)/1.25 => in the general sense Y + (Z - X) / (1 + i/100)

And our "keeper value" which is the number we care about, is simply the difference in those two numbers.

[Y + (Z - X) / (1 + i/100)] - [Z / (1 + i/100)]

This simplifies down to:

Y - X/(1 + i/100)

40 - 14/1.25 = 28.80

So all I'm doing is taking my valuation, and subtracting the keeper PRICE of the player divided by inflation.

Everyone thinks you multiply the value by inflation (I used to think this too).

Nope.

We divide the price by inflation to get our true valuation.

Player X = 30 - 1/1.25 = 29.20
    Player Y = 35 - 8/1.25 = 28.60
    Player Z = 40 - 14/1.25 = 28.80

Surprise! Player X is the answer.

I picked examples that were really close so that I would not get generic answers (Feral!), and in this real scenario I'd obviously go with Player Z. Our valuations are not precise enough to go down to decimals like this.

But the takeaway here is a) surprise, the answer is Player X which no one got correct. b) there's a really simple solution to the question and c) use your inflation to reduce your PRICE not to increase your VALUATION!

Value minus (Price over inflation).

That's it. That's all you have to do. It takes everything into consideration and gives you that true "keeper value" that we are always looking for when comparing keepers at different price points. (Obviously positional needs, and contract - a/b/c/z - matter too, but that's not what I was trying to compare here).

Anyway, I hope this was as surprising to you guys as it was to me when I came across it!

Let me know if you disagree with anything here.
    Just for the record, this is the post to which I was referring when I said you made something simple into a complicated math formula.

Comment

Let me know if you disagree with anything here.
      Not the case now, I just wanted to discuss formulas at the start, at this point, bring on your strategy!
      I believe all of them are fundamentally wrong. And I believe I'm right. I know that's extremely naive of me.
      Value of posts = 0
      Total posts = 5000
      Inflation = 25%

0 - 5000/1.25 = -4000 posts.

Given your last post in the hijacked thread, none of these quotes of yours appear to be true.

Comment

You are describing a difference in price, not a difference in the inflated value.

There's nothing in the rules that forces you to spend a certain amount on pitching and hitting. Especially in a keeper league you should not care about that. Just because I saved $X more on pitching than I did on hitting doesn't mean I should allocate that to one or the other.

In my example, why are you paying more just because I switched the prices of two players?

It is a logical fallacy.
        It's not a logical fallicy, it's just a difference in how we view the market. You view the entire player pool as one single market while I see the hitter market as separate but related to the pitcher market. In a points league, I agree that inflation should affect hitters and pitchers equally because the goal is to accumulate the most points regardless of where they come from. In roto however there is a distinct difference, hitters can only accumulate 50% of the points while pitchers are responsible for the other half. Your goal is still to accumulate the most points but since hitters can only score points in hitting categories and pitchers can only score points in pitching categories this creates the need for a split buget and 2 distinct but correlated markets. These markets are correlated as changes in inflation to hitters does affect pitcher inflation but since the pools are different sizes and scoring they are not necessarily inflated the same.

When you create your predraft auction values, prior to adding keepers, do you have an expected hitter/pitcher split or do you just total up your SGPs/z-scores and divide by $$? If you have a hitter pitcher split then you have by definition created 2 separate but related markets. Going back to your Betts/Cole example, inflation would be affected differently depending on which player was worth assigned the $20 price tag vs the $1 price tage even if both players are worth the same $40 value. The reason for this is that the size of the hitter and pitcher pools and allocation of $$ are different. This means that even though when looking at the effect on overall dollars is the same, the actual market dynamics are different.
        Last edited by ssmallz; 02-01-2020, 03:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken
          Are you so dense that you can't recognize self deprecation with that last post? I noted that my posts have no value and you are using that in some kind of dick measurement contest that you've contrived?

As far as "hijacked thread", you do realize that Gregg specifically noted that he started that thread to talk about inflation concepts right? You noted a couple times in our discussions over the last couple days when pressed that you didn't actually read the thread. Next time do everyone a favor and read them...

I was serious that I was no longer interested in discussing this topic, and this kind of post is why. Seriously, drop it. I get it, you think you're smarter than everyone who wastes their time with their nerd glasses and pocket protectors and graphing calculators. OK, we got it. Move on sir.

I'm no longer interested in the conversation, we had a lot of fun early on in this thread with people saying "wow, that makes sense but it's the opposite of what I thought", which as I noted was the case for me too. But instead you are here to spoil the party and tell us all there's no global warming because you were cold yesterday and it's all fake news. OK got it. Thanks for educating all of us with your superior "been on RJ since the 90s" (as you put it in a ridiculous stalker PM), brain. Buhbye now!
          Yes, I got the self-deprecation in the final comment. I was just noting that it was not consistent with your later comments.

The hijacking was at least mine as much as yours. A good thread hijack is quite the art form. I thought we did it well.

I certainly did nothing like you said I did in the last paragraph. I just questioned the utility of something. (Yes, I also can't really wrap my head around your idea that becoming a mechanic can make you a better driver, that's something I truly don't understand.) We also disagreed (along with others) on whether there was separate pitching and hitting inflation and what would cause it. But, if you are no longer interested in the conversation, that's fine.

Comment

Originally posted by ssmallz View Post
            It's not a logical fallicy, it's just a difference in how we view the market. You view the entire player pool as one single market while I see the hitter market as separate but related to the pitcher market. In a points league, I agree that inflation should affect hitters and pitchers equally because the goal is to accumulate the most points regardless of where they come from. In roto however there is a distinct difference, hitters can only accumulate 50% of the points while pitchers are responsible for the other half. Your goal is still to accumulate the most points but since hitters can only score points in hitting categories and pitchers can only score points in pitching categories this creates the need for a split buget and 2 distinct but correlated markets. These markets are correlated as changes in inflation to hitters does affect pitcher inflation but since the pools are different sizes and scoring they are not necessarily inflated the same.

When you create your predraft auction values, prior to adding keepers, do you have an expected hitter/pitcher split or do you just total up your SGPs/z-scores and divide by $$? If you have a hitter pitcher split then you have by definition created 2 separate but related markets. Going back to your Betts/Cole example, inflation would be affected differently depending on which player was worth assigned the $20 price tag vs the $1 price tage even if both players are worth the same $40 value. The reason for this is that the size of the hitter and pitcher pools and allocation of $$ are different. This means that even though when looking at the effect on overall dollars is the same, the actual market dynamics are different.
            Your analysis is good ssmallz, you certainly could be more correct than me here.

Comment

Your analysis is good ssmallz, you certainly could be more correct than me here.
              Thank you, I appreciate you starting this thread as it’s an underrated part of fantasy. The more discussion that happens the better we understand these concepts. Please keep up the postings

Comment

Oh well. You were going on this while I was deleting my post. Oh well, not in time, I guess. I did appreciate the tone of your recent PM, so maybe we'll get to a better place.

Comment

Man this thread started off on such a promising footing. Let’s get back to some fun here!

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                    Oh well. You were going on this while I was deleting my post. Oh well, not in time, I guess. I did appreciate the tone of your recent PM, so maybe we'll get to a better place.
                    Deleted from my side as well

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
                      Man this thread started off on such a promising footing. Let’s get back to some fun here!
                      get caught in a net you overgrown halibut
                      people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
                        get caught in a net you overgrown halibut
                        Lol. Reminds me of the line from Grumpy Old Men (fabulous movie): “Hey Gustafson, why don’t you pull your lip over your head and swallow?”

Comment

Working...
                        X