NL Pitchers Coming off Injuries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NL Pitchers Coming off Injuries

Last year I drafted with the intention of competing in 2020, and would up with a few injured pitchers. What are the Pen's impressions of Johnny Cueto, Garrett Richards, and possibly, Taijuan Walker, going into this season?
    2021 Auction Anatomy
    2021 Keeper Decisions
    2020 Auction Anatomy
    2020 Pre-Auction
    2015 Auction Anatomy
    2014 Auction Anatomy
    2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
    RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Random thoughts:

Cueto will probably be boringly okay. Garrett Richards will probably also be coming off injury in 2021, unless Anaheim is actually cursed for pitchers, which I am beginning to think is true. I have no idea what to think of Walker---and apparently MLB clubs don't, either.

Comment

I spent a buck on Cueto last year for the same reason.

was encouraged by his late-season efforts, though he faltered very late. with a 5.06 ERA in 16 MLB IP, hard to imagine he goes for more than a buck or three even with a good spring training, after 3 useless seasons and at age 34. not even a blip on a mixed-league radar, frankly.
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Richards is a pretty interesting case. SD would be smart to limit his innings (perhaps half and half with a rookie like Gore?) and put that combo behind Paddack, Lamet, Luccesi and Davies. I would take a flier on Richards in that sort of situation for a buck or two in an NL only.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
          Cueto will probably be boringly okay. Garrett Richards will probably also be coming off injury in 2021, unless Anaheim is actually cursed for pitchers, which I am beginning to think is true.
          I never knew curses were geographic in nature, and traveled between cities. Or I guess maybe it's just a 100 mile wide cloud hanging over SoCal.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
            I never knew curses were geographic in nature, and traveled between cities. Or I guess maybe it's just a 100 mile wide cloud hanging over SoCal.
            Ah, you missed my point. If Anaheim is cursed for pitchers, then Richards should be fine having left. Otherwise, Richards might just not be able to stay healthy.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
              Ah, you missed my point. If Anaheim is cursed for pitchers, then Richards should be fine having left. Otherwise, Richards might just not be able to stay healthy.
              Ah, I get it - you are saying that if LAAAAA is just cursed then he'll be better than okay.
              I read it as you meaning that if Richards' team is cursed he'll be less than okay.

Comment

Ah, I get it - you are saying that if LAAAAA is just cursed then he'll be better than okay.
                I read it as you meaning that if Richards' team is cursed he'll be less than okay.
                Ah, baseball. The last bastion of superstition among reasonable minds. Only here do intelligent folks like you guys have semi-serious convos about curses . It is glorious. Baseball is magic.

Comment

Of the list, Taijuan Walker is the most mysterious to me. He's pretty far out from TJ surgery, even threw a bit at the end of the year, but so far hasn't received a bite. But in a good pitchers park, he could help a real team and be a passable mid-to-lower level SP in a deep fantasy league.

I wouldn't waste the opportunity cost of a pitching slot on Garrett Richards. For those of us old enough, he reminds me of a deteriorating Mark Gubicza. There's definitely talent, but his best pitch just is an arm-destroyer.

Cueto is very intriguing. Velocity sure seems to track well with his arm deterioration and subsequent surgery, so it'll be interesting to see if he gets back to 93 MPH on his fastball and 87-88 on his cutter. I'd take something a little more than an endgame shot on him - like $3-4.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I am not sure Walker will be a starter in the future. I would not use a roster spot on him. I might take an endgame flier on him depending on choices available.

Agree with chance on the rest.

Comment

Chad Kuhl of the Pirates missed all of 2019 recovering from Tommy John surgery and has a shot at reclaiming a rotation spot. He's no ace, but he could end up being a serviceable SP4/SP5. He had some nice ratios in the minors from 2014-16 and his K ratio was trending upward in the majors before the injury. His major league ratios have been pretty mediocre so far but he may have some sneaky upside. Just don't expect too many wins. Watch him closely in spring training as the Pirates are still looking to fill out the back end of their rotation.
                      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

BTW, i like Cueto, i don't trust Richards' health, and i find Walker to be frustratingly inconsistent. But i guess they are all worth a shot if lacking better options.
                        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Seems like several people are in on Cueto, at least at the "ok" level.

I'm interested in why. I had written him off already, and the surface numbers support that. Velocity down, FIP hasn't been lower than 4.5 since 2016.

If you are in on Cueto, sell me on him.

Comment

Seems like several people are in on Cueto, at least at the "ok" level.

I'm interested in why. I had written him off already, and the surface numbers support that. Velocity down, FIP hasn't been lower than 4.5 since 2016.

If you are in on Cueto, sell me on him.
                            I'm not willing to spend a lot, but he tried to not have TJ surgery and pitched through a junk arm for a fairly extended period of time. Given that when he had higher velocity, he actually achieved premium results, I'm willing to spend a little money - but more importantly, the slot - on him to find out. In Spring Training, to your point, he may come in with 87 MPH velocity - which would be bad if it's his fastball, but good if it's his splitter. And if he doesn't get all the way back, but most of the way back, I figure pitching half his games for the Giants will allow him to be moderately successful. Clearly, if his velocity is in the tank, I'll cut bait pretty quickly.
                            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                            X