2K20: MacKenzie Gore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K20: MacKenzie Gore

He has only 20.7 IP in AA, but there is speculation that he will be going into camp with a genuine chance to make the big leagues. The Padres did something similar with Paddack last season, following Paddack's big camp. Paddack only had 37.3 IP at AA, so a couple more start, ie no big deal. That said, Paddack was 23 and Gore is 20 for whatever that is worth.

Can Gore make the Padres with a big camp?
    If not and assuming normal progression, how long will he stay in MiLB?

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

MacKenzie Gore? With Paddack, Lamet, Lucchesi, Garrett Richards, and Zack Davies around, the Padres won't be looking for him to make the rotation out of spring training. If he's tearing it up, he'll likely get his chance when someone gets hurt, which, with this group, probably already happened yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
      MacKenzie Gore? With Paddack, Lamet, Lucchesi, Garrett Richards, and Zack Davies around, the Padres won't be looking for him to make the rotation out of spring training. If he's tearing it up, he'll likely get his chance when someone gets hurt, which, with this group, probably already happened yesterday.
      What? Lamet didn't trip his dog or something? Garrett Richards is still pitching?

It's a reasonable point, because they do have a decent first five and last year they did not. Does that make Gore one of the first wave at the end of April/early May?

J
      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

M(a)cKen(z)ie? Did you leave out those characters as a hint that he's being traded to Arizona?

Comment

With the depth the Padres have a SP, I have to doubt he makes the team out of ST unless he leaves them no choice.

Comment

If the Padres do include Lucchesi in a Betts deal, he might get a shot. He'd have to do what paddock did last ST though. He'd also be on a pitch/start count very similar to Paddack's as well if he does break camp with the big club.
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
              If the Padres do include Lucchesi in a Betts deal, he might get a shot. He'd have to do what paddock did last ST though. He'd also be on a pitch/start count very similar to Paddack's as well if he does break camp with the big club.
              Any word on Paddack's IP restrictions this year, if any?
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                He won't be on any restrictions this season and should start the year as their #1 barring some uber trade at the last minute
                If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                  He won't be on any restrictions this season and should start the year as their #1 barring some uber trade at the last minute
                  Excellent, thanks!
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                    SAN DIEGO -- Fernando Tatis Jr. did not appear at the Padres’ annual FanFest on Saturday at Petco Park. He was, nonetheless, one of the primary topics of conversation. As Tatis stayed home to continue his rehab from a stress reaction in his back, new Padres manager Jayce Tingler said

After being shut down when he reached his innings limit at 140 2/3 frames as a rookie, right-hander Chris Paddack is eager to go without restrictions as a sophomore.

“I’m going to go as far as I can, as far as they’ll let me,” he said. “My goal this year is 180 innings. Why not be the force of the staff?”
                    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

unless Paddack is now managing the Padres, 180 IP is a lofty goal.

as I said about him last year, this is an absolutely elite arm - but he might be overpriced.

he managed to meet typical bids last year, but this time his price might exceed his production.

outside of fantasy baseball, this guy is a sure thing. but we tend to need value in very quick time frames.

Paddack, then, could frustrate, depending on league parameters.
                      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                        Is it?

This is an interesting topic, I looked back through the last several years at Tommy John surgeries for elite pitchers and came up with a few examples that I think fit well.

1) Walker Buehler - TJ surgery in late 2015
                        2016 lost season (5 IP)
                        97 IP in 2017 - recovery year 1
                        153 IP in 2018 - year 2
                        183 IP in 2019 - year 3

2) Jacob Degrom - TJ surgery in 2011
                        111 IP in 2012 - year 1
                        147 IP in 2013 - year 2
                        178 IP in 2014 - year 3

3) Jose Fernandez (RIP)

TJ surgery in 2014
                        64 IP in 2015 - year 1
                        182 IP in 2016 - year 2

4) Zach Wheeler
                        TJ surgery in 2015
                        2016 lost season (1 IP)
                        86 IP in 2017 - year 1
                        187 IP in 2018 - year 2
                        195 IP in 2019 - year 3

The general pattern I see is <100 IP year 1, ~150 IP in year 2, and ~180 IP in year 3. With a couple examples being slightly more aggressive.

Obviously there are many more examples of pitchers who underwent TJ. When picking these, I was looking for players who were clear starters (there are lots of relievers), I was looking for a similar age pitcher, or as close as possible, and I was looking for a similar elite level. I wish I had more data points. Obviously 4 is not enough for a statistical analysis, but at least for an anecdotal account, it seems like all the data is showing the same thing.

For Paddack we have TJ in late 2016
                        2017 lost season
                        90 IP in 2018 - year 1
                        140 IP in 2019 - year 2
                        ?? IP in 2020

Based on the previous examples, I'd say these numbers look very typical and 180 IP is pretty reasonable actually for Paddack's 3rd year off of TJ.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post

as I said about him last year, this is an absolutely elite arm - but he might be overpriced.

he managed to meet typical bids last year, but this time his price might exceed his production.

outside of fantasy baseball, this guy is a sure thing. but we tend to need value in very quick time frames.

Paddack, then, could frustrate, depending on league parameters.
                          Paddack was purchase for $18 last year in our 12 team NL only 5x5 $260 budget. He is being kept this year. Attempts to trade for him proves there will be no discount.

Stupid sharks

Comment

Ummm Gore thread, people!

Comment

Working...
                            X