Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woman can't use her frozen embryos after divorce, state Supreme Court rules

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/26/healt...rnd/index.html

An Arizona woman cannot use frozen embryos fertilized by her ex-husband to have children and has to donate them, according to a ruling by the state's Supreme Court.
    Ruby Torres had her eggs fertilized before undergoing cancer treatment in 2014, court documents say. At the time, she and her then-boyfriend, John Joseph Terrell, signed an agreement at the fertility clinic that said if they split up the embryos could either be donated to another couple or used by one of them to have children -- but only with the "express, written consent of both parties."
    The couple married days later and underwent in vitro fertilization, court documents state. The viable embryos were frozen and stored away. Torres' chemotherapy caused a "significant drop in her reproductive function," the documents say.
    They divorced in 2017, kicking off a court battle. On one side is Torres, who wants to keep the embryos. On the other is Terrell, who doesn't want to father any children with his ex-wife and wants the embryos to be donated.

A family court initially ruled in Terrell's favor, saying his "right to not be compelled to be a parent outweighs (Torres') right to procreate and desire to have a biologically related child." An appeals court then overturned the family court's decision and ruled in Torres' favor.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Then why have the original agreement? Fucking stupid.
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

i don't understand frozen embryos. did the guy get any physical pleasure out of it like sex? if he didn't, i don't see why he has to pay child support if there was no sex. it seems like a bad deal.

Comment

i want to be a frozen embryo when i grow up someday so i can be born in the distant future and start my own 20th century master race.

Comment

Originally posted by nullnor View Post
          i want to be a frozen embryo when i grow up someday so i can be born in the distant future and start my own 20th century master race.
          I think you are a bit late for the 20th century

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
            Then why have the original agreement? Fucking stupid.
            According the the OP, the original agreement is clear that both parties would need to agree on their use if they split. This ruling is consistent with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
              According the the OP, the original agreement is clear that both parties would need to agree on their use if they split. This ruling is consistent with that.
              If that is true then there should have been no need of a court ruling. You signed the original agreement it stands live with it. No court for you!

Comment

Originally posted by nots View Post
                I think you are a bit late for the 20th century
                Gotta use nully level logic - it's in the future so that he could use the time machine to go back to the 20th century ...
                It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

i feel this would be a great discussion on the Dr Phil show. he would get animated and talk with his hands while saying appearances and struggles don't matter as long as you give your heart, mind and soul and a frozen embryo to the world, you'll get back acceptance, love and selflessness.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                    If that is true then there should have been no need of a court ruling. You signed the original agreement it stands live with it. No court for you!
                    People frequently use the courts to try to get out of contractual agreements. This is no different.
                    2021 Auction Anatomy
                    2021 Keeper Decisions
                    2020 Auction Anatomy
                    2020 Pre-Auction
                    2015 Auction Anatomy
                    2014 Auction Anatomy
                    2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
                    RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

Working...
                    X