2020 German Marquez

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 German Marquez

Was amazing in 2018. Was good the first half of 2019. Was bad the second half. It seems to be the limit of magic at Coors field for a pitcher to have one glorious year and then fade. Still, I like the skills, and wonder if he can double the 1st half of 2019. That seems doable and is valuable. What say you?

For those who saw my Caleb Smith thread, that owner keeps stringing me along, so I acquired a $1 Eovaldi basically for free as a back up plan, but I am still looking for an SP upgrade. Marquez is $5 and I like him better than Smith, I think. The Marquez owner would take Logan Gilbert for him.

Comment

I owned both Smith and Marquez last year (!).
      Smith seems to have a higher ceiling, so I'd take him by a nose.

if Marquez seems 100 pct in mid-March, though, then yes I could see it.
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
        I owned both Smith and Marquez last year (!).
        Smith seems to have a higher ceiling, so I'd take him by a nose.

if Marquez seems 100 pct in mid-March, though, then yes I could see it.
        Smith is $3 more and I am very broke, so that is a small factor as well. IDK, I guess I perceive Smith to be more injury prone. Marquez is younger too. As far as ceiling, 2018 marquez was pretty darn good.

Comment

interesting. I think you won me over.
          well, I expect both to open next season in my rotation

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

If you could be disciplined enough to only start Marquez on the road you have a near elite pitcher.

Let's look a triple slash against him the last 2 years:

Home: .284/.344/.452
            Away: .203/.260/.349

Home: .317/.354/.495
            Away: .212/.254/.397

So combined in 2018-2019 his road triple slash against was:

.208/.257/.373

Let's compare that to:

.222/.267/.372

Any idea what pitcher that is?
            It is this pitchers full season triple slash against for last year.
            So by this metric Marquez was slightly better in comparison of just his road starts.
            The pitcher: Max Scherzer
            Comparing a Fantasy Baseball Draft to an Auction is like comparing Checkers to Chess!!!

Comment

Ah, if only they would trade him, but that would be dumb of them. It is amazing considering how much that org does to dampen the Coors affect how pronounced it still is. They build a massive field to suppress homers, the water-log the balls in the humidor. All that amounts to is making it in range of a normal park. The early years were really out there.

I'm very close to getting him for Alek Thomas and my 3rd round prospect recoop draft.

Comment

and of course I own Scherzer, too! now someone do Jeff Samardzija!

ours is a no-bench league - and when we go bowling, we don't use the bumpers, either.
                horseback riding? no saddle. #howweroll

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

and of course I own Scherzer, too! now someone do Jeff Samardzija!

ours is a no-bench league - and when we go bowling, we don't use the bumpers, either.
                  horseback riding? no saddle. #howweroll
                  Really? Seems like the opposite to me. Anyone can build a lineup of just 23, but being able to manage the bench such that you can fill in the gaps and figure out matchups and injury fill ins / etc with the correct amount of coverage for each position involves a careful utilization of your bench. And then how many spots do you devote to this year, and how many are you willing to devote to the future? How do you build a dynasty going forward and also win this year? Wait you just have a regular 23 man roster, and don't have to worry about beating your competition's bench construction? Why do you have the bumpers out?
                  Last edited by Ken; 01-22-2020, 05:04 PM.

Comment

#decaf

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

#decaf
                      I always get a good chuckle when someone pounds their chest (even in jest) about being #extra only to find out they are #lacking instead. Typically when that happens the next move is for them to complain about the analysis rather than put up an actual argument.

Either way its always good for a laugh.

.... But you are right, it was definitely up hill both ways, dad. And in the snow, I know.

Comment

I landed Marquez and feel pretty good about it. I ended up giving Alek Thomas and my 2nd round prospect pick for his 4th and 5th rounders (last two rounds). Marquez rounds maybe the best keeper lists I have ever had, although I am also broker than ever before, because I am choosing to keep a very pricey Verlander. I don't have any money to address need in the auction, and I depleted almost all of my prospects, but I think I can make post auction moves to get what I need:

15 keepers:

Carlos Santana
                        Whit Merrifield
                        Francisco Lindor
                        Nolan Arenado
                        Dansby Swanson
                        Alex Bregman
                        Michael Brantley
                        Michael Conforto
                        David Dahl
                        Gerritt Cole
                        Justin Verlander
                        Charlie Morton
                        German Marquez
                        Craig Kimbrel
                        Edwin Diaz

Comment

He threw more sliders last year and threw them harder, but the pitch value was way worse. Both Z-contact and O-contact were worse than 2018. But swinging strike rate was better. Given the juicy ball his HR/9 increase was unsurprising but unless the ball comes back to earth, I'm not sure I expect a rebound. I dunno, man, Coors is just so weird. Raw K% was worse but raw BB% was better. Pitching to more contact in Coors in a juiced ball era?

Comment

Working...
                          X