Baseball Hall of Fame voting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    So you are claiming Bonds/Clemens are much better defensively ??
    Exactly. It's like they were bowling with the bumpers out.

Comment

Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
      I totally disagree that Walker was a fringy candidate but there are some very deserving names on that list (most notably Grich, Evans, and Edmonds) so if Walker's induction helps them, that's great.
      The proof's in the pudding. He lasted 10 elections, he didn't have particularly overwhelming counting stats, and he experienced a huge vote renaissance due to changing thoughts on players of his caliber, likely due to recent Vet's Committee inductions. His WAR places him below many non-HOFers and in the neighborhood of others who you would never consider for the Hall, such as Rick Reuschel, Kevin Brown, Buddy Bell, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
        The proof's in the pudding. He lasted 10 elections, he didn't have particularly overwhelming counting stats, and he experienced a huge vote renaissance due to changing thoughts on players of his caliber, likely due to recent Vet's Committee inductions. His WAR places him below many non-HOFers and in the neighborhood of others who you would never consider for the Hall, such as Rick Reuschel, Kevin Brown, Buddy Bell, etc.
        Lasting 10 elections shouldn't be held against him given the track record of some of the voters (no need to look further than the fact that Harold Baines is in while Grich and Allen aren't or Tim Raines having to wait 10 times). In general, I think you're looking at Walker's career too narrowly. You have to take the full picture into account -- his WAR (which is also higher than many Hall of Famers...) and OPS+ are HOF worthy and his counting stats are very good although not superb but it's the all-around game: the defense, the speed, the ability to hit for average and sustain an elite OBP, the gold gloves, the MVP, the batting titles, the excellence throughout his career, even in his later years. A player like Buddy Bell may check the WAR box (largely because of his defense) but he falls down by the other measures.

Comment

Lasting 10 elections shouldn't be held against him given the track record of some of the voters (no need to look further than the fact that Harold Baines is in while Grich and Allen aren't or Tim Raines having to wait 10 times). In general, I think you're looking at Walker's career too narrowly. You have to take the full picture into account -- his WAR (which is also higher than many Hall of Famers...) and OPS+ are HOF worthy and his counting stats are very good although not superb but it's the all-around game: the defense, the speed, the ability to hit for average and sustain an elite OBP, the gold gloves, the MVP, the batting titles, the excellence throughout his career, even in his later years. A player like Buddy Bell may check the WAR box (largely because of his defense) but he falls down by the other measures.
          Why say Buddy Bell and not Todd Helton?

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

This is all excellent. Reminds me of an old board post by Bob Kohm about how it’s the Hall of Fame, not hall of really good
            Players. And Walker had the fame factor, too. The incredible throws from right field. Base running like a hockey player. Filled box sheets. And I can guarantee Todd Helton doesn’t show for his interview in a Spongebob NASCAR shirt. That then breaks the internet and sells out instantly
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
              This is all excellent. Reminds me of an old board post by Bob Kohm about how it’s the Hall of Fame, not hall of really good
              Players. And Walker had the fame factor, too. The incredible throws from right field. Base running like a hockey player. Filled box sheets. And I can guarantee Todd Helton doesn’t show for his interview in a Spongebob NASCAR shirt. That then breaks the internet and sells out instantly
              didn't BK proclaim Jeter to be not just the greatest baseball player of all time, but perhaps the greatest human ever to walk the earth ? If he is indeed human ? Or is my memory just failing me ?
              ---------------------------------------------
              Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I didn’t think it was that excessive. But my memory may be blitzed and you could be right.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                  I didn’t think it was that excessive. But my memory may be blitzed and you could be right.
                  It could be possible, however unlikely, that i am exaggerating
                  Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                  The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                    didn't BK proclaim Jeter to be not just the greatest baseball player of all time, but perhaps the greatest human ever to walk the earth ? If he is indeed human ? Or is my memory just failing me ?
                    His main theory was that only Yankees could actually have the "fame" needed to enter the HOF, IIRC. He griped about Chipper Jones.

Comment

There were 14 blank ballots submitted this year, I can see i-2 for symbolic reasons, but 14? That's just crazy. BBWAA is probably going to have to look at their voting procedures.
                      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                      -Warren Ellis

Comment

Curt Schilling announced on his personal Facebook page that he has requested to be removed from the BBWAA ballot for the National Baseball Hall of Fame.

Schilling said that he wants to "defer to the veterans committee and men whose opinions actually matter and who are in a position to actually judge a player."
                        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                          Curt Schilling announced on his personal Facebook page that he has requested to be removed from the BBWAA ballot for the National Baseball Hall of Fame.

Schilling said that he wants to "defer to the veterans committee and men whose opinions actually matter and who are in a position to actually judge a player."
                          Take your ball and go home cheater
                          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                            There were 14 blank ballots submitted this year, I can see i-2 for symbolic reasons, but 14? That's just crazy. BBWAA is probably going to have to look at their voting procedures.
                            I'm not surprised this year. Cancel culture being what it is, even if a writer thought about voting for Schilling, Clemens, and/or Bonds, they know they'd have to deal with the outrage crowd, and so would their employers. A number of others just wouldn't vote for any of those three anyway, and no one down ballot, IMO, is worth voting for. I suspect a number of writers will follow Passan's lead and give up their voting rights after this year.

Comment

You can make it up to them by drafting them 1, 2, 3 in the nfbc league.

Un=cancelled!

I obviously disagree.

It's pretty simple. Asking people to do the right thing (don't cheat), tell the truth (don't lie) and to be a decent person (don't be a dick) isn't cancel culture.. It's building a better society.

I'm just here for the moral outrage.
                              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                              X