2K20: Closer and Bullpen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
    This is the old thread. After 100 pages, a new one seems appropriate. http://forum.rotojunkiefix.com/showt...hlight=closers

This is a list of the 2019 RP with value in the top 100 players--BBMonster 12 team, default settings.

Name Team Age
    Josh Hader MIL 25.8
    Liam Hendriks OAK 30.9
    Kirby Yates SD 32.8
    Brandon Workman BOS 31.4
    Roberto Osuna HOU 24.9
    Felipe Vazquez PIT 28.5
    Will Smith SF 30.5
    Emilio Pagan TB 28.7
    Aroldis Chapman NYY 31.9
    Taylor Rogers MIN 29.1
    Brad Hand CLE 29.8
    Seth Lugo NYM 30.2
    Hansel Robles LAA 29.4
    Hector Neris PHI 30.6
    Kenley Jansen LAD 32.3
    Ken Giles TOR 29.3

I notice three things immediately.
    • The average is over 30, with only Hader and Osuna under 27.
    • A number of the pitchers were not in the top 300.
    • While several of the pitchers are save leaders, several are not.

Obviously Hader is valuable. Osuna will be if he avoids offending too many women. Which of the rest would you trust with a mid-round pick? Who are candidates among the lower ranked pitchers? How do spot a valuable pickup before the rest of your league?

J
    Are you fucking serious with this bullshit? He offended is girlfriend? I'm pretty sure you are confusing offending with assault.
    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
      Are you fucking serious with this bullshit? He offended is girlfriend? I'm pretty sure you are confusing offending with assault.
      Just to keep the baseball board from turning into the sports bar, I'll offer that I read this more as an indictment on mlb (and pro sports in general) than an approval of Osuna's actions. In other words, he'll keep pitching, regardless of the idea that he has abused women, as long as it doesn't "offend" fans and hurt the bottom line. Which is gross, but sadly money is what the sports world is all about. That's how I read it at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
        Just to keep the baseball board from turning into the sports bar, I'll offer that I read this more as an indictment on mlb (and pro sports in general) than an approval of Osuna's actions. In other words, he'll keep pitching, regardless of the idea that he has abused women, as long as it doesn't "offend" fans and hurt the bottom line. Which is gross, but sadly money is what the sports world is all about. That's how I read it at least.
        That's rather generous of you. I read it as an extremely tasteless joke. He didn't talk about offending fans, he specifically said "offending too many women." Certainly sounds like he thinks domestic violence isn't a big deal.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

That's rather generous of you. I read it as an extremely tasteless joke. He didn't talk about offending fans, he specifically said "offending too many women." Certainly sounds like he thinks domestic violence isn't a big deal.
          Again, I'd rather the baseball board not be the sport bar so I'll always go with the generous route over here

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
            Again, I'd rather the baseball board not be the sport bar so I'll always go with the generous route over here
            That's fine, I just couldn't let it go without a comment. It's too offensive.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

That's fine, I just couldn't let it go without a comment. It's too offensive.
              That's fair and I apologize for offending you. I actually misspoke, but offended against too many women is still pretty cheeky. Ken had it right when he thought I meant he would pitch unless he was in prison.

J
              Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

What will the Phillies do? Girardi could definitely be a "loyal to one person" kinda guy and Neris was sneakily pretty good last year (and got 28 saves to boot). I feel like he could be Chapman lite (maybe not the most elite, but good and very safe) but then I think about using Hector Neris and very safe in the same sentence and I don't feel great about it.

Comment

Looks like Brandon Kintzler may be tightening his grip on the Marlins closer gig.

According to Joe Frisaro of MLB.com, Jose Urena will head into spring training as a starting pitcher.
                  “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                    According to Joe Frisaro of MLB.com, Jose Urena will head into spring training as a starting pitcher.
                    And Marlins fans everywhere cry.
                    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Anyone want to venture a guess as to who gets the most saves for the Rays in 2020? With Pagan traded, well, the Rays will do the Rays thing.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                        Anyone want to venture a guess as to who gets the most saves for the Rays in 2020? With Pagan traded, well, the Rays will do the Rays thing.
                        Rays will be Rays. But I did not realize that Nick Anderson had 110 k in 65 ip last year.

Comment

Originally posted by cleo View Post
                          Rays will be Rays. But I did not realize that Nick Anderson had 110 k in 65 ip last year.
                          Oh, yeah, he did. And I can keep him for $6. But he's locked in lineup and too good to actually be the closer in Tampa, lol.

Comment

So...did the Padres acquire Pagan with an eye towards Yates impending free agency? And/or are they considering a mid-year trade of Yates? If Yates goes to a contender with an established closer, that cuts his projected save totals in half...so how much do you bid on what was one of the safer choices for the most volatile stat category.
                            2021 Auction Anatomy
                            2021 Keeper Decisions
                            2020 Auction Anatomy
                            2020 Pre-Auction
                            2015 Auction Anatomy
                            2014 Auction Anatomy
                            2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
                            RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

Originally posted by ThatRogue View Post
                              So...did the Padres acquire Pagan with an eye towards Yates impending free agency? And/or are they considering a mid-year trade of Yates? If Yates goes to a contender with an established closer, that cuts his projected save totals in half...so how much do you bid on what was one of the safer choices for the most volatile stat category.
                              Unfortunately, that answer is "maybe", IMO. I think the Pads feel they can make a run at the playoffs this year, so they're putting the pieces in play for that run. If they're in contention for a wild card or the NL West, I think they hold onto Yates until the bitter end and make a QO to him before free agency to get the pick. If the Pads tank, then I believe Yates will certainly be out the door.
                              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Rockies manager Bud Black announced on Tuesday that Wade Davis would start out as closer, with Scott Oberg to work as the setup man.
                                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                                X