The End of Privacy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The End of Privacy?

I know what you are thinking. It already ended. But this is next level, and scary: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...7OT?li=BBnbcA1

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
    I know what you are thinking. It already ended. But this is next level, and scary: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...7OT?li=BBnbcA1
    China already is using apps like this to surveil their citizens. They have cameras everywhere. And they also have a "social credit" system which they use is various ways, including influencing whether or not you get a job, house, loan, stay out of jail etc. How long before western, so called "free" countries, including the US, start doing this? 1984 may have been a little late in coming, but it is here now.
    Last edited by rhd; 01-18-2020, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post
      China already is using apps like this to surveil their citizens. They have cameras everywhere. And they also have a "social credit" system which they use is various ways, including influencing whether or not you get a job, house, load, stay out of jail etc. How long before western, so called "free" countries, including the US, start doing this? 1984 may have been a little late in coming, but it is here now.
      Yeah, I posted about that exact thing awhile back, but I guess everyone was afraid they were being monitored and didn't comment.

Comment

Yeah, I posted about that exact thing awhile back, but I guess everyone was afraid they were being monitored and didn't comment.
        Yeah, what's maybe even scarier than the surveillance is the apathy people display towards it. In China, the citizens generally dont seem to care much about the government surveilling them life this and many think that it's good thing. People think that it will only affect "bad" people, not them.

Comment

it's ok, if you have 3 names like a cat. you have to have a name that everyone knows and calls you by, like Jonathan, George or Bill . but you need a fancy name too, for the occasions you do something special, names like Plato, Electra or Demeter. and one more name that only the cat knows himself. a name that never belongs to more than one cat. one that no human research can discover. there is no species more private than cats. you have only in contemplation and meditation. and when you ask them what it is, they say although you invented a microwave and built a 747 airplane, you can't guess my name...a cat maintains the most privacy of all. a lesson to us all. an animal concerned with dignity and titles, and a thread of neat yarn in a ball.

Last edited by ; 01-19-2020, 08:09 PM.

Comment

I ran across this today. Wow. My nephew has an Instagram where his posts have a lot of shots of him smoking weed. Seems like such a bad idea, that will follow him for years. Maybe marijuana will become legal but I suspect it will still be detrimental in a job search.

I had to get a background check for my job, and it turns out the report is a 300+ page pdf of every single tweet I’ve ever liked with the work “fuck” in it.

Enjoy your dystopian bs! *waves*
            ---------------------------------------------
            Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
            ---------------------------------------------
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
              I ran across this today. Wow. My nephew has an Instagram where his posts have a lot of shots of him smoking weed. Seems like such a bad idea, that will follow him for years. Maybe marijuana will become legal but I suspect it will still be detrimental in a job search.

I had to get a background check for my job, and it turns out the report is a 300+ page pdf of every single tweet I’ve ever liked with the work “fuck” in it.

Enjoy your dystopian bs! *waves*
              Maybe my web search for images for the old Moonlight J thread is why I can't find a job ....
              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Anyone else both emotional and fearful from last night's Google commercial about remembering Loretta?

"Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Yeah, that got me choked up a bit. An effective commercial for the positive side of an extended memory, but yeah, there is a potential dark side to all that we are sharing of ourselves with the machines and those who control them. You just know this guy will be getting ads to buy all of Loretta's favorite things. I'm sure there will be ads to go to Sitka as well. The price of preserving these cherished memories is their commodification, at the very least.

Comment

Yeah, that got me choked up a bit. An effective commercial for the positive side of an extended memory, but yeah, there is a potential dark side to all that we are sharing of ourselves with the machines and those who control them. You just know this guy will be getting ads to buy all of Loretta's favorite things. I'm sure there will be ads to go to Sitka as well. The price of preserving these cherished memories is their commodification, at the very least.
                    As someone who works in social services for seniors, this commercial is really concerning to me. My wife loved this commercial, and the side of me that has compassion for all the comes with memory loss, I was persuaded. Then the privacy part of me says, "This is going to be a real issue with too much information out there for anyone looking to steal identities.
                    "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                    - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                    - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
                      As someone who works in social services for seniors, this commercial is really concerning to me. My wife loved this commercial, and the side of me that has compassion for all the comes with memory loss, I was persuaded. Then the privacy part of me says, "This is going to be a real issue with too much information out there for anyone looking to steal identities.
                      For sure, and also other predators like psychics and mediums. You get ahold of this info, and suddenly you become very believable when you say you are talking to a passed loved one.

Comment

every news site tells me to disable my add blocker before i can read. i simply say fuck you and X out. they can go out of business for all i care.

you ever notice how long it takes sites to load. it's true. first they have to identify you, then track you, then track every where you went. it can take a while for a site to load. i doubt any of you actually look what the site is loading or trying to do.

let me install a little malware, let me fuck up your computer. make operating systems behave glitchy and fuck you up more.

why!! because they just want to make enough money to stay in business at your expense. it's a bad business model when you have to deceive your customers and sell them out to stay in operation. they can all go to hell if it's the only way. it's not cool. it's not what the internet was created to do.

but every millennial just wants to be friendly! lets share our data. what could possibly go wrong. it's not like anyone will use that information to my detriment.

Comment

in the old days on Bulletin boards when you thought you were downloading something for free, and a 2400 baud modem seemed amazing, every now and then someone would tree my fucking ass and i'd have to reinstall my OS. you can't teach that nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by nullnor View Post
                            every news site tells me to disable my add blocker before i can read. i simply say fuck you and X out. they can go out of business for all i care.

you ever notice how long it takes sites to load. it's true. first they have to identify you, then track you, then track every where you went. it can take a while for a site to load. i doubt any of you actually look what the site is loading or trying to do.

let me install a little malware, let me fuck up your computer. make operating systems behave glitchy and fuck you up more.

why!! because they just want to make enough money to stay in business at your expense. it's a bad business model when you have to deceive your customers and sell them out to stay in operation. they can all go to hell if it's the only way. it's not cool. it's not what the internet was created to do.

but every millennial just wants to be friendly! lets share our data. what could possibly go wrong. it's not like anyone will use that information to my detriment.
                            you left the part where they activate your camera & microphone
                            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                              you left the part where they activate your camera & microphone
                              When I had to get a new monitor last year, I made sure to get one without a built-in camera of any kind. No camera, no pictures. And the built-in camera on my laptop can't do much if I keep the laptop closed 98% of the time.
                              Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                              -- William James

Comment

Working...
                              X