Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The End of Privacy?

The End of Privacy?

I know what you are thinking. It already ended. But this is next level, and scary: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...7OT?li=BBnbcA1

Welcome to the Big Leagues, Kid
    Quote Originally Posted by Sour Masher View Post
    I know what you are thinking. It already ended. But this is next level, and scary: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...7OT?li=BBnbcA1
    China already is using apps like this to surveil their citizens. They have cameras everywhere. And they also have a "social credit" system which they use is various ways, including influencing whether or not you get a job, house, loan, stay out of jail etc. How long before western, so called "free" countries, including the US, start doing this? 1984 may have been a little late in coming, but it is here now.
    Last edited by rhd; 01-19-2020 at 12:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rhd View Post
    China already is using apps like this to surveil their citizens. They have cameras everywhere. And they also have a "social credit" system which they use is various ways, including influencing whether or not you get a job, house, load, stay out of jail etc. How long before western, so called "free" countries, including the US, start doing this? 1984 may have been a little late in coming, but it is here now.
    Yeah, I posted about that exact thing awhile back, but I guess everyone was afraid they were being monitored and didn't comment.

Welcome to the Big Leagues, Kid
    Yeah, I posted about that exact thing awhile back, but I guess everyone was afraid they were being monitored and didn't comment.
    Yeah, what's maybe even scarier than the surveillance is the apathy people display towards it. In China, the citizens generally dont seem to care much about the government surveilling them life this and many think that it's good thing. People think that it will only affect "bad" people, not them.

Welcome to the Big Leagues, Kid nullnor's Avatar
    it's ok, if you have 3 names like a cat. you have to have a name that everyone knows and calls you by, like Jonathan, George or Bill . but you need a fancy name too, for the occasions you do something special, names like Plato, Electra or Demeter. and one more name that only the cat knows himself. a name that never belongs to more than one cat. one that no human research can discover. there is no species more private than cats. you have only in contemplation and meditation. and when you ask them what it is, they say although you invented a microwave and built a 747 airplane, you can't guess my name...a cat maintains the most privacy of all. a lesson to us all. an animal concerned with dignity and titles, and a thread of neat yarn in a ball.

Last edited by nullnor; 01-19-2020 at 09:09 PM.

I ran across this today. Wow. My nephew has an Instagram where his posts have a lot of shots of him smoking weed. Seems like such a bad idea, that will follow him for years. Maybe marijuana will become legal but I suspect it will still be detrimental in a job search.

https://twitter.com/kmlefranc/status...69659139366912

I had to get a background check for my job, and it turns out the report is a 300+ page pdf of every single tweet I’ve ever liked with the work “fuck” in it.

Enjoy your dystopian bs! *waves*

Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    I ran across this today. Wow. My nephew has an Instagram where his posts have a lot of shots of him smoking weed. Seems like such a bad idea, that will follow him for years. Maybe marijuana will become legal but I suspect it will still be detrimental in a job search.

https://twitter.com/kmlefranc/status...69659139366912

I had to get a background check for my job, and it turns out the report is a 300+ page pdf of every single tweet I’ve ever liked with the work “fuck” in it.

Enjoy your dystopian bs! *waves*
    Maybe my web search for images for the old Moonlight J thread is why I can't find a job ....
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Welcome to the Big Leagues, Kid In the Corn's Avatar
    Suburbs of Minneapolis...close to Hornsby
    Anyone else both emotional and fearful from last night's Google commercial about remembering Loretta?

"Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
    - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
    - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Yeah, that got me choked up a bit. An effective commercial for the positive side of an extended memory, but yeah, there is a potential dark side to all that we are sharing of ourselves with the machines and those who control them. You just know this guy will be getting ads to buy all of Loretta's favorite things. I'm sure there will be ads to go to Sitka as well. The price of preserving these cherished memories is their commodification, at the very least.

Welcome to the Big Leagues, Kid In the Corn's Avatar
    Suburbs of Minneapolis...close to Hornsby
    Yeah, that got me choked up a bit. An effective commercial for the positive side of an extended memory, but yeah, there is a potential dark side to all that we are sharing of ourselves with the machines and those who control them. You just know this guy will be getting ads to buy all of Loretta's favorite things. I'm sure there will be ads to go to Sitka as well. The price of preserving these cherished memories is their commodification, at the very least.
    As someone who works in social services for seniors, this commercial is really concerning to me. My wife loved this commercial, and the side of me that has compassion for all the comes with memory loss, I was persuaded. Then the privacy part of me says, "This is going to be a real issue with too much information out there for anyone looking to steal identities.
    "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
    - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
    - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.