*** VD 14 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
    Congrats to Cavebird and DMT. That was a helluva tussle at the end. Cavebird's team looked like it was going to be a contender from very early on. DMT's planning was spot-on ... he got so much great value from middling / poor letters at the end.

Getting to 3rd feels like a win to be honest. Utley drafted in 5th, and Dan Uggla goes undrafted; Evans in the 4th, Ennis goes in the 11th; Kilebrew 6th, Kaline goes in the 24th; not to mention Garp and Frae snipping my picks. So many of my early picks proved worthless, at one point I felt I was looking down the barrel of bottom 3. So I decided to use all my strong letters in the middle, load up on stats and hope I could configure something in the end game. It was fun.

These end games are getting tighter and tighter as competition gets stronger ... at one point I projected 0.3 points between 4 teams from 3rd to 6th.
    Your finish was amazing. A bit aided by others to get there, but your picks were the best possible. I think Garp gets third if he goes with Quinn at 1890's MI instead of Childs.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
      I really liked Revo's early game. Williams, Yount, Anson, Ortiz was a great opening.
      Revo started out great. He just never made a decision about his pitching (to ratio tank or not) until Uhle in Round 23; that's just too late.

Comment

• Originally posted by cavebird View Post
        Revo started out great. He just never made a decision about his pitching (to ratio tank or not) until Uhle in Round 23; that's just too late.
        I really thought he was going to go with the "shitty career, awesome BY" strategy for his pitching. There are enough guys to make that work but they're not a ton of them at scarce letters. Silver King is a nice pick for that strategy, although his career numbers aren't quite there. Of course, Dwight Gooden, Vida Blue, Charlie Buffington, guys like that are perfect but at premium letters. Luis Tiant works. So does Russ Ford and Dutch Leonard but their career numbers aren't there either. It's a tough strategy to pull off with letter restrictions.
        More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
          And Revo can finally reveal to us what his mystery strategy was! So, what the fuck were you doing, man?
          I didn’t mention that I had my 13- year old make all my picks based on OOTP ratings?

I just went with a hitter-heavy ratio dump, but I left myself with a combo of bad letters/decades that didn't match up well; I used a poor projection-replacement theory that didn't work at all; and I royally screwed the pooch by not concentrating on BY hitting as much as I did Career hitting. I mean, jeez, how do you draft hitters in 8 of the first 9 rounds and end up DEAD LAST in BY Runs??? This was one to forget.

Comment

Working...
          X