No announcement yet.

2K20: Wil Myers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is a good amount of value the Pads would be giving. If I didn't hate all catcher prospects so much, Campusano would be one of my favorites. Dude is a hitter.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
      That is a good amount of value the Pads would be giving. If I didn't hate all catcher prospects so much, Campusano would be one of my favorites. Dude is a hitter.
      It is, but to swap Myers for Betts and get out of the following two years of Myers, it's worth it. Plus the Padres have lots of value in pitching on the way.

I'd make that deal and if mookie walks they get a couple of picks which Preller seems to be good at turning into currency
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
        It is, but to swap Myers for Betts and get out of the following two years of Myers, it's worth it. Plus the Padres have lots of value in pitching on the way.

I'd make that deal and if mookie walks they get a couple of picks which Preller seems to be good at turning into currency
        Yeah, i would too. Just saying, some value there the casual fans might not know they are missing. Getting Betts, even for a year, is worth it though.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
          I can't agree with that. Depending on whose metrics are used, the Brewers, who have been a pretty successful organization the past three years, brought in $250 - 300 MM in revenue in 2018. Player payroll last year alone was about $123 MM. Add in management expenses, minor league costs, scouting costs, field/stadium costs, and a whole host of other costs in running a team and I'd not be surprised to find out owner Mark Attanasio barely broke even. Or even lost money. Changing payroll structure for the Brewers was a must for two reasons: first, an owner expects some level of return from their investment; second, if the Brewers can free up enough payroll, they might be able to make a run at Yelich. So, no, I don't necessarily agree that smaller market teams can just spend nearly unlimited money to keep star players moving into free agency. I'd expect any GM of a team with more limited revenue to critically investigate whether they can keep a star player moving to free agency, given the cost, whether they should keep that player, and what they could get on the open market for certain players IF their team is also not playoff competitive. I'd posit getting a team to a World Series is worth a fair amount of money and worth the risk of holding star players for another year.

Now, the Red Sox are a different animal. But maybe they have a low degree of confidence they can sign Betts in free agency. Maybe they're looking at their team as composed today as not having a competitive chance of winning the AL. There's other legitimate maybes. There's also the possibility that the owner is a greedy pig, and will do anything to cut costs, get below the luxury tax, and make another $100 mil. Maybe it's some of all of the above. But a GM who could trade Betts, unload the Price albatross contract, and get two high-level prospects....yeah, we disagree. With the right prospects, I think the GM has to at least seriously consider that deal.
          Player salaries are easily the biggest expense an MLB team pays. No way that the expenses are more than the player salaries unless the payroll is incredibly small (looking at you Florida teams) or the franchise is run very poorly, in which case there shouldn't be return on investment and the change to expenses should not be payroll. And, honestly, the actual revenue may be higher than reported. Only the teams and the union know (they get the info; they aren't allowed to share it). As for return on investment, the rapidly increasing values of sports franchises works very well for all of the owners. No, smaller market teams cannot spend $200 million plus on payroll without taking it in the shorts, but the Brewers did just fine last year. Still, the difference between small and big market teams is very, very real.

Comment

Let me clarify.

The deal being talked about from what we've been told here in San Diego is this:

Betts for Myers, Lucchesi, Quantrill, Baez and Campusano.

Padres aren't taking Price to get Betts.
            I assume the Pads would be paying a bunch of Myers salary?

Comment

Let me clarify.

The deal being talked about from what we've been told here in San Diego is this:

Betts for Myers, Lucchesi, Quantrill, Baez and Campusano.

Padres aren't taking Price to get Betts.
              Not nearly as enthralled with the deal as SM seems to be. Quantrill and Baez have already underwhelmed, maybe they get better, maybe they don't. But a move to the AL East certainly isn't going to help them. Lucchesi is intriguing, as is Campusano. So I would think that the Sox would either demand that SD take on a good portion of Myers salary, or take the chance that mid season there will be more bidders. They can also hold onto Betts and get the compensation picks after the season is over...

So to me it almost looks like a 2-1 deal with the Red Sox eating Myers contract...
              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
              -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                Not nearly as enthralled with the deal as SM seems to be. Quantrill and Baez have already underwhelmed, maybe they get better, maybe they don't. But a move to the AL East certainly isn't going to help them. Lucchesi is intriguing, as is Campusano. So I would think that the Sox would either demand that SD take on a good portion of Myers salary, or take the chance that mid season there will be more bidders. They can also hold onto Betts and get the compensation picks after the season is over...

So to me it almost looks like a 2-1 deal with the Red Sox eating Myers contract...
                Well, I assumed the Sox would be eating all or most of Myers contract. If not, that obviously changes things. And as I've said, I do not think they should trade him at all. Betts is awesome in every way. If I were a Sox fan, I'd be mad at any deal that sent him away.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post

I wouldn't be so fast to give up on Quantrill or Baez. Baez did well in relief and Quantrill was very good until the end of August when the whole team seemed to be going through the motions. I'm not saying either will be exceptional, but absolutely serviceable with a chance to be very good.

That said--is this a deal the Sawx should do? They're trying to get under the Luxury Tax, every dollar they save is 2 they save in penalties. they'd save $14 Million (Plus 7 in salary-so 21) which seems to be important to them. They also get Myers for 2 more years, he could very well return to his 30/30 form in Fenway and build value if they needed to trade him foe even more minor league depth.

Luchessi and Campusano are also in the deal.

The Padres don't have to make any deal, nor do the sawx. But if any of the chatter regarding Betts or Marte is real--they definitely have to move Myers.
                  If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I wouldn't be so fast to give up on Quantrill or Baez. Baez did well in relief and Quantrill was very good until the end of August when the whole team seemed to be going through the motions. I'm not saying either will be exceptional, but absolutely serviceable with a chance to be very good.

That said--is this a deal the Sawx should do? They're trying to get under the Luxury Tax, every dollar they save is 2 they save in penalties. they'd save $14 Million (Plus 7 in salary-so 21) which seems to be important to them. They also get Myers for 2 more years, he could very well return to his 30/30 form in Fenway and build value if they needed to trade him foe even more minor league depth.

Luchessi and Campusano are also in the deal.

The Padres don't have to make any deal, nor do the sawx. But if any of the chatter regarding Betts or Marte is real--they definitely have to move Myers.
                    They save even more by resetting the penalties for next year. I don't think the 2-1 savings now is the issue. But still, they have to do better for Betts than this.

Comment

Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune reports that the Padres are willing to trade at least one prospect plus one outfielder -- Manuel Margot or Josh Naylor -- and one starting pitcher -- Cal Quantrill or Joey Lucchesi -- as part of the deal. Acee also notes that the Padres want the Red Sox to cover more of the $61 million remaining on Myers' contract. As of now, the Red Sox are said to be offering to cover about half of it.
                      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                        Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune reports that the Padres are willing to trade at least one prospect plus one outfielder -- Manuel Margot or Josh Naylor -- and one starting pitcher -- Cal Quantrill or Joey Lucchesi -- as part of the deal. Acee also notes that the Padres want the Red Sox to cover more of the $61 million remaining on Myers' contract. As of now, the Red Sox are said to be offering to cover about half of it.
                        I'd take Naylor and Lucchesi, plus a high level prospect...but I wouldn't eat 75% of the Myers deal. The Pads should pay some sort of penalty for dumb signings...and Hosmer is looming in a few years.
                        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                        -Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                        X