Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2020 NFL Off-Season Arrest Thread

Quote Originally Posted by revo View Post
    Actually, it's all good because he has five 1,000 yard seasons in his 6-year career to go with 48 TDs. He's also only 3rd All-Time with 86.8 receiving yards per game.
    that is stellar propaganda:
    - the second stat eliminates the issue of his missing 21 out of 96 games
    - it pretends that receiving yards per game is a static stat over the years
    - it ignores that his yearly rank keeps declining: 1/3/4/x/9/x
    - two of those 'five 1,000-yard seasons' are not even in the top 10, and another is 10th
    - his best TD ranks are 5th and 9th

if that's all you think of his skillset, then sure, it's all good.
    entering 37th yr in same 12-team NL 5x5
    horrendous final week dropped me from a shot at 3rd to 6th
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

2020 candidates (keep up to 11)
    SP Scherzer 44, Samardzija 1, CSmith 1, Cueto 1, Marquez 10, Eflin 10
    RP Stanek 8
    C Realmuto 13, C Posey 12, 1O Belt 10, SS BCrawford 9
    OF CDickerson 17, O1 Cooper 10, Dyson 8

Down the river ..................from PNC Park
    No arrest, but Browns RB Kareem Hunt is extremely lucky after getting caught with marijuana and an open container of vodka. Amazingly, the cop lets him off with just a speeding ticket because he is a Cleveland Browns fan! The NFL may not be as kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Jude View Post
    that is stellar propaganda:
    - the second stat eliminates the issue of his missing 21 out of 96 games
    - it pretends that receiving yards per game is a static stat over the years
    - it ignores that his yearly rank keeps declining: 1/3/4/x/9/x
    - two of those 'five 1,000-yard seasons' are not even in the top 10, and another is 10th
    - his best TD ranks are 5th and 9th

if that's all you think of his skillset, then sure, it's all good.
    This ignores that:
    a) an old and decrepit Eli Manning was his QB for 2018 and a distracted and decrepit Baker Mayfield was his QB for 2019
    b) if you want to ignore receiving yards per game because it wasn't a "static stat over the years," sure, let's do away with WAR and xFIP and wOBA too while we're at it.
    c) TDs among WRs is nice and all, but if it's that important to you, I'd love to have you in my fantasy league when you ignore Julio Jones to take Marvin Jones.

The reality is OBJ is a Top 5 WR in terms of talent and production. If he gets a perfect scenario where he has a solid QB also, just watch.

This ignores that:
    a) an old and decrepit Eli Manning was his QB for 2018 and a distracted and decrepit Baker Mayfield was his QB for 2019
    b) if you want to ignore receiving yards per game because it wasn't a "static stat over the years," sure, let's do away with WAR and xFIP and wOBA too while we're at it.
    c) TDs among WRs is nice and all, but if it's that important to you, I'd love to have you in my fantasy league when you ignore Julio Jones to take Marvin Jones.

The reality is OBJ is a Top 5 WR in terms of talent and production. If he gets a perfect scenario where he has a solid QB also, just watch.
    Wait, WAR and wOBA are weighted stats that take league numbers into context? xFIP I can buy as equivalent.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Wait, WAR and wOBA are weighted stats that take league numbers into context? xFIP I can buy as equivalent.
    That wasn't the point. It was that new-fangled stats were not "stats over the years" either. If he doesn't want to acknowledge "Yards Receiving Per Game" as important, which obviously simply shows how effective he is, then that's his call.

Hmmmm.....I'm gonna say both revo and JJ are right about Beckham. Is he underplaying his ability by a wide margin? I just don't know how anyone can say no to that question. Sure, Mayfield had a bad year, but Beckham was outcaught AND outgained by DaVante Parker (led by Miami's dynamic duo of QBs), Kenny Golladay (with a very much second-rate second stringer throwing to him much of the year), Keenan Allen (by a clearly declining Phillip Rivers), DJ Moore (second string QB and his own inexperience), Allen Robinson (Trubisky. If you even begin the discussion that Mayfield isn't better than Trubisky, I'll be shocked), and Cooper Kupp (who shouldn't be in the same building as OBJ talent-wise). He was outgained (though with less catches) than such luminaries as Michael Gallup (!!), John Brown, and AJ Brown.

That list just has the guys that I think - with the exception of Golladay - that are nowhere near OBJ's ability level. There's a host of other premier receivers I didn't list. A similar list could be created for 2018.

OTOH, I agree with revo on the top 5 in terms of talent; I'd even rate him top 3 and wouldn't argue with anyone who said he was #1. And he certainly has past production to back it up.

But right now, it's not merely a bad QB situation that's not translating his talent to production. 2019 makes that pretty much gin-clear.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Browns OL and former 2nd overall pick Greg Robinson was arrested for possessing 157 lbs of marijuana.

Down the river ..................from PNC Park
    Browns OL and former 2nd overall pick Greg Robinson was arrested for possessing 157 lbs of marijuana.
    Shades of Bam Morris.
    http://www.espn.com/espn/wire/_/section/nfl/id/1848946