And yet another RJEL keeper list...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And yet another RJEL keeper list...

My team is overly young, but it's pretty cheap. And the hitters have tons of positional flexibility, but the list doesn't go deep. My last few are iffy. Pitching is a huge hole that will have to be addressed at draft, a situation I prefer.

My ten, as of this writing:

1B- CBellinger-LA 5B (will extend to $15 or $20)
    2B- GHampson-Col 4ZERO
    3B- RMcMahon-Col 7A
    MI- TEdman-StL 4A
    OF- ARiley-Atl 4ZERO
    OF- RTapia-Col 3A
    OF- EHernandez-LA 1B (will not extend)
    OF- GCooper-Mia 1A

SP- ADeSclafani-Cin 3A
    RP- EPagan-TB 7A

Next up: JDonaldson 28A

Minor leaguers that might factor in: NHoerner-Chi, BDalbec-Bos, EWhite-Sea, SHilliard-Col, JIndia-Cin, XEdwards-TB

GHampson and ARiley are risky plays, but I have a feeling they both may just need a year more of growth. In this case, the ZERO contract feature is handy.

Even in an 18 team league, going in with much less than FT ABs from 3 OF spots (Kike, Tapia and Cooper) almost means you're punting on 2020. So you'd better be sure those guys will be worth having in 2021. Or at least that they make good trade bait in Kike's case. I think Donaldson is a good keeper almost regardless of where he signs.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
      Even in an 18 team league, going in with much less than FT ABs from 3 OF spots (Kike, Tapia and Cooper) almost means you're punting on 2020. So you'd better be sure those guys will be worth having in 2021. Or at least that they make good trade bait in Kike's case. I think Donaldson is a good keeper almost regardless of where he signs.
      Good point. Those guys are pretty iffy for me, and clearly at the bottom of my list. I don't really have much else (except Donaldson). Everyone's roster has a couple of those sorts guys, when they're playing, so since I didn't have better options, and they were supercheap, I figured they were okay for now. I'd kick Tapia or Cooper (or DeSclafani) for Donaldson.

Comment

The other thing that gets forgotten a lot (well, and isn't obvious outside our league) is that we actually get $265 to buy our roster plus five reserves, so if you have a $1 keeper you're just saying that that guy is better than whatever you'd take in the reserve round. If you really have nobody better to keep, I could definitely see keeping those guys over whatever player #400 is.
        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
          The other thing that gets forgotten a lot (well, and isn't obvious outside our league) is that we actually get $265 to buy our roster plus five reserves, so if you have a $1 keeper you're just saying that that guy is better than whatever you'd take in the reserve round. If you really have nobody better to keep, I could definitely see keeping those guys over whatever player #400 is.
          As long as everyone has at least 5 $1 players then this is basically identical to a $260 budget. Is it common for owners to spend more than $5 on their reserves?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
            As long as everyone has at least 5 $1 players then this is basically identical to a $260 budget. Is it common for owners to spend more than $5 on their reserves?
            Not intentionally but it happens. But it also means that these players aren't even really taking up a spot on your roster - you can just put them on the bench at the beginning of the auction and not have your active spots blocked. So it's pretty painless to keep them.
            In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
              Not intentionally but it happens. But it also means that these players aren't even really taking up a spot on your roster - you can just put them on the bench at the beginning of the auction and not have your active spots blocked. So it's pretty painless to keep them.
              Fair point. The opportunity cost of the roster spot is the relevant issue.

Comment

Working...
              X