Rays - Cards trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rays - Cards trade

Matthew Liberatore heading to STL, according to Passan. No word of the other parts, but it’s a 6-piece deal.

Orginally, Rotoworld via Passan reported a boatload--O'Neill, Bader, Woodward. But that was pulled quickly. Now it is a more modest haul of Jose Martinez, Randy Arozarena, and a comp pick.

The first fake report was too much, but I think this is too little for St. Luis.

Comment

They must really like Liberatore. Martinez needed to move to AL. It’s an interesting trade for sure as you have 1 team getting the best prospect and the other 3 players that can help this year. Rays have SP depth but needed cheap bats so seems a win-win.

Comment

Whew. In my NL-only, just last week, I traded Arozarena for Winker. That kind of thing rarely ends up working out for me.

Comment

Man the Rays must be down on Liberatore. I really like J-Mart's bat, and I know the Rays love cheap cost controlled guys, but how much would it really cost them to sign CJ Cron or someone like that to be their righty DH/1B?

Weird for 2 teams that always have tons of depth and usually make consolidation trades... to be trading with each other.

Comment

Rays really want some thump vs LH and a high-character dude for the clubhouse, and Martinez fits both of those nicely. They've been on him at least a year. Arozarena gives them a RH athletic player to move around the outfield and more contact in the lineup eventually with speed. They're looking to maximize the current window to stay in contention, and perhaps how the Honeywill situation played out scared them a bit with Liberatore. They still have Baz & McClanahan around. Win/win deal IMO

Comment

Working...
            X