potential keepers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• potential keepers

In an 18 team 5 x 5, obp league how would u rank the following guys (similar salary)

Vogelbach
    D Swanson
    G Richards
    B Nimmo

Anyone of them stand out for any reason ?
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

An interesting group, as they all have upside and warts.

Nimmo gets banged up and it is hard to rely on him, but I still like him a lot on a obp league. If he can stay on the field, he can be very valuable. Swanson also got hurt and it may mask his break out, but I think it is real. I like them both a lot in 2020. Vogy has the power, but his skill set seems to come really cheap these days. I worry he loses his job to a cheap external signing of a better version of him, or to an up-and-comer internally. I like Richards, but he always gets hurt. I'd rank them:

Swanson
    Nimmo
    ---------
    Richards
    Vogelbach

Comment

I am not a fan of Richards so he is easily the last choice.

I own a $4 Nimmo in my NL only OBP. I am not giving him a raise. I worry about his health and when healthy his playing time. But at 4 I can keep him and hope for upside. I do like his OBP.

A 12B Swanson is on the trade block. I am not trading for him as I am not convinced he will earn a profit. I don't like his OBP.

I own Vogy in my AL only at $15A. He will DH and spend some time at 1B. I like the 30 hrs in 462 abs (I think he will get more). I also like the .341 OBP he got last year. I would easily make him my #1 pick off this list if he were 10 bucks. At 15 I will keep him but I am a bit uneasy about it.

If they were all $10 I would go Vogy then Nimmo.

Comment

I've seen commentary that suggests that Vogelbach might not even make the team out of spring training. He had a really solid first half last year (.238/.375/.505, 21 HR) and an awful second half (.162/.286/.341, 9 HR). I don't know if it's as bad as the columnist says but it's not great. Also, Evan White got signed to a long term contract so he's going to be competing for at bats also.

found it, from The Athletic:

What’s Daniel Vogelbach’s future with the team? With Evan White coming in at first base, Vogey will have to hit a lot better than he did in the second half last year to keep the DH spot. Also, I’m a bit surprised there wasn’t more consideration of shifting Narváez or Santana into the DH spot full time when they were still with the organization? – Conrad C.

I think based on his poor second half (when he hit .162), Vogelbach will need to win a job on the 26-man roster this spring. His options are limited. I don’t think we see him at first base at all, but there’s a chance he could win the DH job or at least slide into a platoon where he starts against right-handed pitchers, and, say Austin Nola starts against lefties. I’m just not sure. Vogey’s first half — really, his first month or so — was very good. The second half was about as bad as it could be. He’ll need to show something during spring training.
        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Thanks for the input. Yeah, listing Vogelbach was probably more hopeful than realistic. Hope Richards looks exceptional in ST, or if not make the call on Nimmo/Swanson at that time.
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I'd reinforce the concern about Vogelbach. Given DiPoto's recent presser, it's clear Seattle's going to trot out young talent as much as possible in 2020. Despite only being 27, I don't think Vogelbach is considered part of that "young talent".

i like Sour Masher's order and split.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I agree with Sour Masher as well. Vogelbach is way too risky for playing time. Evans's contract means that he'll play first, and DH is too easy to fill. Richards is a dart throw at this point---a shame given the talent, but how many pitchers just never did anything because they couldn't stay healthy? To stay healthy, you have to be a freak of nature---the human body was not made to throw a baseball 90+ mph. Swanson and Nimmo are pretty close to me. Both have injury concerns. Both have upside. I give the slight edge to Swanson due to the history of the Mets' medical staff. And hell, he's a Met, you have to worry about wild boar.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                I agree with Sour Masher as well. Vogelbach is way too risky for playing time. Evans's contract means that he'll play first, and DH is too easy to fill. Richards is a dart throw at this point---a shame given the talent, but how many pitchers just never did anything because they couldn't stay healthy? To stay healthy, you have to be a freak of nature---the human body was not made to throw a baseball 90+ mph. Swanson and Nimmo are pretty close to me. Both have injury concerns. Both have upside. I give the slight edge to Swanson due to the history of the Mets' medical staff. And hell, he's a Met, you have to worry about wild boar.
                Feral Boar, Feral Boar ! How many times do I need to say this !!!!

and thanks, good input.
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I don't think you can have feral boar since they aren't domesticated. Just wild boar.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                    I don't think you can have feral boar since they aren't domesticated. Just wild boar.

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                      In an 18 team 5 x 5, obp league how would u rank the following guys (similar salary)

Vogelbach
                      D Swanson
                      G Richards

Anyone of them stand out for any reason ?
                      With the Rays recent trade I'm leaning more towards Nick Anderson $3 over Dansby Swanson $4. Anyone have some strong opinions either way ?
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

With the Rays recent trade I'm leaning more towards Nick Anderson $3 over Dansby Swanson $4. Anyone have some strong opinions either way ?
                        I think I'd go with Anderson, though I like both. With the Braves getting Ozuna, it's likely that Swanson hits in the bottom half of the lineup (Acuna/Albies/Freeman/Ozuna).

Comment

I'd lean the same way you do.
                          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Expiring contract for Glasnow in 18 team mixed, standard categories.

Keep at 6 for final season
                            Extend to 11 for two
                            Extend to 16 for three

I'm thinking 11 is the right call, anyone got a different take ?
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Expiring contract for Glasnow in 18 team mixed, standard categories.

Keep at 6 for final season
                              Extend to 11 for two
                              Extend to 16 for three

I'm thinking 11 is the right call, anyone got a different take ?
                              I’d lean 6 because pitcher ( especially one with some injury history )

Comment

Working...
                              X