Carlson and Kieboom for Mondesi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carlson and Kieboom for Mondesi

The Mondesi owner has cold feet about extending him for some reason and is willing to deal him to me for Dylan Carlson and Carter Kieboom. I know you all are saying yes, but this is a points league, so Mondesi is not quite as valuable. He was still great in our scoring system last year, though. We give 2 pts per steal. I should do this, even in a points league, right?
    Last edited by Sour Masher; 01-04-2020, 11:37 AM.

There are two schools about Mondesi. One is that his on base skills are a serious enough issue, especially given the injury, that he is fairly seriously overpriced. The other is that he's only 24, so there is room for growth, along the lines of what Tim Anderson did.

One thing certain is the defense. He will play every day.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
      The Mondesi owner has cold feet about extending him for some reason and is willing to deal him to me for Dylan Carlson and Carter Kieboom. I know you all are saying yes, but this is a points league, so Mondesi is not quite as valuable. He was still great in our scoring system last year, though. We give 2 pts per steal. I should do this, even in a points league, right?
      I'd do it...he's still a baby, and he could easily do 20/50. The K's might be a concern, but with 2 points for a steal, it's fine with me. With the signings of Castro and Cabrera, it shows that the Nats aren't quite ready for Kieboom yet.
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

Ok, so next question is, what would you extend him?

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
          I'd do it...he's still a baby, and he could easily do 20/50. The K's might be a concern, but with 2 points for a steal, it's fine with me. With the signings of Castro and Cabrera, it shows that the Nats aren't quite ready for Kieboom yet.
          Will Kieboom be the starting 3B this year? Cabrera being super UT?

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            Will Kieboom be the starting 3B this year? Cabrera being super UT?
            still a lot of talk about donaldson getting signed

Comment

Ok, so next question is, what would you extend him?
              How many teams in your league? What are the salaries on the extension?

I extended Mondesi $5 last offseason in an AL Only, tacking on 3 extra years, making him $20 through 2022. It felt very risky at the time. If I had to make the extension decision this offseason, I would probably do the same, 3 extra years to $20. I might consider 4 years to $25 given the disappearance of the SB across baseball, but I'd likely take the extra value and play it safe with 3 years.
              Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                still a lot of talk about donaldson getting signed
                They also signed Starlin Castro. It doesn't seem like they have enough room for Donaldson at this point.

Comment

The old bait and switch. Now he wants Kelenic, Carlson, and Kieboom. That is a huge jump in ask. I think I'm out, just on principle, but does anyone think it is a reasonable swap? Prospects are worth a lot in my league. I am sure I can get top tier rentals later in the season for each of these guys. Mondesi is a keeper, but I think I prefer the larger volume of rentals and the flexibility of keeping my prospects.

Comment

The old bait and switch. Now he wants Kelenic, Carlson, and Kieboom. That is a huge jump in ask. I think I'm out, just on principle, but does anyone think it is a reasonable swap? Prospects are worth a lot in my league. I am sure I can get top tier rentals later in the season for each of these guys. Mondesi is a keeper, but I think I prefer the larger volume of rentals and the flexibility of keeping my prospects.
                    No, it's kind of a bullshit move, if you ask me...Kelenic is going to be a top 20 guy this year, and maybe higher. Sickels has him at #12 in the 1st top 100 I've seen so far. So that would amount to you giving up what are arguably 3 top 25 prospects. Big time pass.
                    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                      No, it's kind of a bullshit move, if you ask me...Kelenic is going to be a top 20 guy this year, and maybe higher. Sickels has him at #12 in the 1st top 100 I've seen so far. So that would amount to you giving up what are arguably 3 top 25 prospects. Big time pass.
                      Yeah, to be fair, it wasnt a firm offer. He said he wanted Carlson and was shopping Mondesi and I asked what it would take, and he said the first two he'd probably do that, but needed to look closer. I made it seem like we were close. Obviously we were not.

On another note, is the athletic worth paying for just for Sickels, you think? What about the rest of their content? How much do you use and read it?

Comment

I think it all depends on the point system used. 2 points per steal could be a lot or a little depending on the other points. If walks and singles are even at one point, Mondesi's OBP issues could be a huge problem. I certainly wouldn't go for the second offer if prospects are big in the league.

Comment

Yeah, to be fair, it wasnt a firm offer. He said he wanted Carlson and was shopping Mondesi and I asked what it would take, and he said the first two he'd probably do that, but needed to look closer. I made it seem like we were close. Obviously we were not.

On another note, is the athletic worth paying for just for Sickels, you think? What about the rest of their content? How much do you use and read it?
                          I love the Athletic, but I am a sucker for almost any sport, so I can use it year-round.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                            I think it all depends on the point system used. 2 points per steal could be a lot or a little depending on the other points. If walks and singles are even at one point, Mondesi's OBP issues could be a huge problem. I certainly wouldn't go for the second offer if prospects are big in the league.
                            Yeah, every base is a point, except steals, which are two. We also lose a point for caught stealing. Mondesi was really good last year, but not elite. The owner enticed me with what I thought would be a sell low, but clearly he 8s still high on him, at least for now.

Comment

Yeah, every base is a point, except steals, which are two. We also lose a point for caught stealing. Mondesi was really good last year, but not elite. The owner enticed me with what I thought would be a sell low, but clearly he 8s still high on him, at least for now.
                              Oh, yeah. I wouldn't even do the first offer for him given that info. The steals go away much faster than the batting skills. Think about how much people paid for Billy Hamilton back in the day (okay, not that far back in the day; the one who is still in the majors and alive, not the much better one from the 19th century---okay, you can take the person out of the vintage drafts, but not the vintage drafts out of the person).

Comment

Working...
                              X