Possible War with Iran

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible War with Iran

The U.S. just killed the commander of the Iranian Qods Force, Qassem Suleimani, in a drone strike at the Baghdad airport. Suleimani was regarded as the second most powerful person in Iran.

This is a major escalation of the conflict over the past week in Iraq between the U.S. and Iran. The U.S. conducted air strikes last week on the camps of Iranian-backed militias in response to the killing of an American contractor. The militias then organized protests in Baghdad that resulted in the storming of the American embassy by crowds of protestors.
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

A war with Iran would be a disaster for all involved. I am cautiously optimistic that it can still be avoided, because everyone knows how bad it would be. I'm hoping there will only be saber rattling and harsh rhetoric--something both Trump and Iran excel in. This may be too much of an affront for Iran to ignore, in which case, this will turn into a historically bad move by the US. I hope cooler heads can prevail here. It will get real bad if they don't.

Comment

I seriously doubt Iran does nothing in response. Trump is feeling the heat of impeachment closing in and hopes this will serve as a big enough distraction. Meanwhile tens of thousands will be killed to serve his fragile ego.
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

So tired of this shit.
        ---------------------------------------------
        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

posted without comment.

(I know, I know ...)

It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

I think someone posted in another thread that should election year roll around and trump find himself down in the poll, his starting a war was a good possibility.
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
              I think someone posted in another thread that should election year roll around and trump find himself down in the poll, his starting a war was a good possibility.
              I remember that as well.

Comment

Maybe I'm naïve, but I think starting a war with Iran would hurt Trump for 2020, not help him, and I also actually think Trump knows and believes that to be the case. The counter-pull for Trump, however, is that he's so beholden to burnishing his own toxic sense of alpha dog masculinity that he could easily be dragged into an escalating out-of-control better butter battle with Iran, North Korea or any other regime, despite his better political instincts to avoid starting new wars that the American voters don't want.

Comment

So are we the Axis this go around?
                  If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                    Maybe I'm naïve, but I think starting a war with Iran would hurt Trump for 2020, not help him
                    Interested in hearing more on this. Which group of potential Trump voters do you think this would change?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                        Interested in hearing more on this. Which group of potential Trump voters do you think this would change?
                        Certainly not his supporters, but potential to impact undecided or those unsure about even voting. The way the mainstream press covers this will be intersting and could play a big part
                        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                          Isolationists, libertarians and others who viewed him as a lower risk than Hillary Clinton to get us into more foreign wars. They could flip from Trump to Sanders, IMO (or Gabbard, but she has no chance). Sanders, in particular, I think would have a better shot of defeating Trump if he could point to Trump as having blundered the US into another war in the Middle East.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                            Isolationists, libertarians and others who viewed him as a lower risk than Hillary Clinton to get us into more foreign wars. They could flip from Trump to Sanders, IMO (or Gabbard, but she has no chance). Sanders, in particular, I think would have a better shot of defeating Trump if he could point to Trump as having blundered the US into another war in the Middle East.
                            I agree
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Agreed, this sets up well for Sanders because of Biden's record in Iraq.
                              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Working...
                              X