Who to Keep?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who to Keep?

I will try to trade some of them, but in a 16 team mixed league (even one with 30 man majors, 20 man minors), these guys aren't worth much, so I probably won't find takers. Still, we keep 15 major leaguers, and have a deep minors, so we have tons of inflation, and all are worth their salary. I have room to keep two. Which two would you keep and why?

Jordan Lyles $5
    Ian Kennedy $5
    Alex Verdugo $5
    Adam Eaton $5
    Nick Ahmed $5
    James McCann $5

Kennedy and Eaton are both underpriced at $5

Comment

Kennedy is my easy top choice as I like cheap closers.

Washington picked up the Eaton option so he should be the starter. If healthy he gets you 14-15 hrs and 15 sbs. $5 is limited exposure so I would go with him.

I see Ahmed as a keeper at $5, but I like the other two better.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
        Kennedy and Eaton are both underpriced at $5
        Ha, I was typing and you beat me to it.

Comment

Yeah, Kennedy has the most value, I think. Trying to move him, as I plan on keeping two other closers in Diaz and Kimbrel. I don't like to keep 3 closers, but I may have to, if I don't find a taker. I could move Diaz or Kimbrel fairly easily. Anyone think Kimbrel doesn't bounce back? Maybe the play is to move the pricier Kimbrel and keep the cheaper Kennedy.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
            I don't like to keep 3 closers, but I may have to, if I don't find a taker.
            One idea is to watch for the guy who missed out on the last closer. The one bidding up the final decent closer who loses out will plan to trade for a closer after the auction. That's why I always go for value before the auction. You need to accumulate stats and fill up the categories but beforehand it's all about value for me.

Several years back my auction plans fell apart in a 15 team mixed and I was sitting there with a bunch of pitcher spots, a bunch of money, and no decent starters left to buy. So I bought 6 closers. And I traded 4 of them within the first two weeks because the rest of the league was light on closers. I won that year.

Comment

Yeah, Kennedy has the most value, I think. Trying to move him, as I plan on keeping two other closers in Diaz and Kimbrel. I don't like to keep 3 closers, but I may have to, if I don't find a taker. I could move Diaz or Kimbrel fairly easily. Anyone think Kimbrel doesn't bounce back? Maybe the play is to move the pricier Kimbrel and keep the cheaper Kennedy.
              If I could move Kimbrel for something good I would. I would also have no problem keeping 3 closers and trading one off after the auction or after I get some good amount of saves under the belt.

It never hurts to kick the tires.

Comment

I'd say Kennedy and Verdugo...I think that if healthy, Verdugo might well be this years breakout sleeper. BUT, he's got to be healthy (he currently not), and he has to overcome a crowded outfield.

So, you might get him cheaper if you toss him back, but I think I'd take the risk if he shows up healthy for ST.
                "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                  I'd say Kennedy and Verdugo...I think that if healthy, Verdugo might well be this years breakout sleeper. BUT, he's got to be healthy (he currently not), and he has to overcome a crowded outfield.

So, you might get him cheaper if you toss him back, but I think I'd take the risk if he shows up healthy for ST.
                  My league is all about the upside. I win a lot, and it is because I chase value, and guys like Eaton are the ones that go cheap. I think Eaton outscores Verdugo in 2020, but in my league, 100%, Verdugo would go for more in the auction. Which, I guess is a reason to keep him over Eaton, but I hate going with the heard unless I really believe in a guy. Not sure I believe Verdugo shows enough in 2020 to hit in the upper half of the line up, which hurts his counting stats. But he and Kennedy are the most tradable pieces in my league. Maybe the play is to move them both and keep Eaton and Ahmed? I am light on SPs, but no lov for Lyles yet. He showed some flashes last year, but Arlington is tough on pitchers with his skill set.

Comment

Two of:
                    Kennedy-Eaton-Verdugo. Obviously try to deal the odd man out.

Comment

but Arlington is tough on pitchers with his skill set.
                      I'm not a fan of Lyles, but "Arlington" being tough on pitchers isn't something we know. They have a completely new stadium with a retractable roof. Unclear how it plays out, the early word is that it looks close to league average, but until we see actual games no one will know.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                        I'm not a fan of Lyles, but "Arlington" being tough on pitchers isn't something we know. They have a completely new stadium with a retractable roof. Unclear how it plays out, the early word is that it looks close to league average, but until we see actual games no one will know.
                        Thanks. I did not know they des8gned the new place to be more neutral. Good to know.

Comment

Thanks. I did not know they des8gned the new place to be more neutral. Good to know.
                          Their goal was to be more neutral. Whether they succeeded or not, who knows. The fabled "jet stream" should be gone. There's slightly more foul ground now. Fences are about the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                            If I could move Kimbrel for something good I would. I would also have no problem keeping 3 closers and trading one off after the auction or after I get some good amount of saves under the belt.

It never hurts to kick the tires.
                            I would try to move Kennedy. At age 35 and on the last year of his contract with the Royals, he is likely to be traded before the MLB trade deadline and may only provide half a season's worth of saves.

I like Verdugo and Eaton as keepers. It's always nice to have a power/speed combo or two on the keeper list.
                            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                              I would try to move Kennedy. At age 35 and on the last year of his contract with the Royals, he is likely to be traded before the MLB trade deadline and may only provide half a season's worth of saves.

I like Verdugo and Eaton as keepers. It's always nice to have a power/speed combo or two on the keeper list.
                              Well reasoned. I support this approach.
                              Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Working...
                              X