Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Albums of 2019

Feel free to add to the list!

I made 2 lists this year, due to hosting a radio show. I split the lists into top 20 international and/or mainstream successful and top 15 Canadian artists with smaller profiles.

Top 20

1 - Lightning Bolt - Sonic Citadel

This album shreds. Thrash metal with some super catchy riffage. Constantly careening almost off the rails.

2 - The Comet Is Coming - Trust in the Lifeforce of the Deep Mystery

Brilliant assortment of jazz, punk rock, electronic and everything in between. Prolific band leader, 3 different projects running concurrently of different jazz strains. This one is my fave.

3 - Carla Dal Forno - Look Up Sharp

Really cool no wave electronics. Dispassionate and spooky vocals.

4 - Marissa Nadler and Stephen Brodsky - Droneflower

Beautiful, dark and crunchy guitar undertones added to heavenly vocals. It reminded me of Danzig's best work, (my fave is '4').

5 - The Dandy Warhols - Why You So Crazy

I've never gotten into these guys, around since the mid 90's, but this album was my first foray, and I loved it. It has a slight country/Americana vibe to about half the songs, the other half is more alt-rock, pop-rock. A few of my favourite radio friendly catchy tracks of the year on this one.

6 - The Mauskovic Dance Band - S/T

Not sure where they're from, but it's such a wild sound. Space-y electronic dance tunes that remind me of William Onyeabor, weird otherworldly synths bumbling and meandering through trippy melodies. Almost has a reggae vibe, but not quite.

7 - Peaking Lights & Lee Scratch Perry - Life of the Plants

I've never explored Lee Scratch Perry before, despite some notable guest spots (Beastie Boys from the Hello Nasty album). This collab with one of my favourite current groups (Peaking Lights) is excellent. I'm just starting into Perry's back catalog now.

8 - King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Infest the Rats' Nest

Thrash metal done right. Very tight, fast, and surprisingly interesting lyrical narratives. "There Is No Planet B" is a great sing-along chorus to shout with. They constantly change up genres that they work in on each album, and this was their first metal album for the most part, but they did a great job with it.

9 - Kirin J Callinan - Return to Center

Covers album. A few duds, but 4-5 incredible takes. Australian who genre hops around.

10 - Battles - Juice B Crypts

Wild and crazy mix of electronics and guitar theatrics. Kinda like Ratatat.

11 - Matmos - Plastic Anniversary

Samples used to create the songs were made entirely of different noises made by plastic. Interesting mix from electronic veterans.

12 - Nate Young - Vol. 1: Dilemmas of Identity, Vol. 2: Nightshade

Started as a pretty harsh kind of noise artist about 20 years ago. Has morphed into experimental electronics.

13 - Leonard Cohen - Thanks for the Dance

Working at a record shop, I've had a chance to sell this album to dozens of elderly customers and engage in some great chat about Leonard Cohen. Highly enjoyable. The record itself is posthumously produced by his son, Adam Cohen, and other musicians like Feist, Beck, etc. I was a bit skeptical of the backing players, but I think they did a really great job of providing the tunes for Cohen's words to shine. It also contains one of Cohen's classic notch-in-the-belt songs about seducing a woman, called "Night of Santiago", which remains my favourite kind of Cohen song. A few tracks delve into mortality, and the musings of one at the end of life. Cohen fans will enjoy it. Probably too low on my list!

14 - Devendra Banhart - Ma

The first single is one of my favourite tracks of the year, and I like the album overall, but hasn't blown my socks off.

15 - Kim Gordon - No Home Record

3 incredible songs, all quite diverse, stand out. The rest of the album is kinda meh. But for a woman in her 60's, going solo for the first time, she makes some very bold choices, and they mostly pay off.

16 - Moon Duo - Stars are the Light

West coast psych-rockers, this band is more electronic influenced than the other main band (Wooden Shjips).

17 - Jeffrey Lewis & The Voltage - Bad Wiring

One of my favourite punk/folk kinda dudes. Always outstanding lyrical content, but the accompanying tunes here are a little on the forgettable side.

More to come later...
    Last edited by Teenwolf; 12-29-2019, 02:50 PM.
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Nobody listens to new music anymore or what?
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

The only new album I listened to in 2019 was "Fear Inoculum" by Tool. I love it

10/10
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
        The only new album I listened to in 2019 was "Fear Inoculum" by Tool. I love it

10/10
        I'm glad you enjoyed the new long awaited Tool album! My dad loved the hell out of it, and I know Sour Masher mentioned loving it too.

Working at a record store, I think it's really awful the way they put out the new album.

The 1st day edition was only available as a $90 deluxe edition package. After 4 months or so, they finally released a cheaper version, but it's still a slightly smaller deluxe CD package that costs $50.

I just hate bands that overly monetize their content to the point of creating a barrier to people hearing their music.

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
          I'm glad you enjoyed the new long awaited Tool album! My dad loved the hell out of it, and I know Sour Masher mentioned loving it too.

Working at a record store, I think it's really awful the way they put out the new album.

The 1st day edition was only available as a $90 deluxe edition package. After 4 months or so, they finally released a cheaper version, but it's still a slightly smaller deluxe CD package that costs $50.

I just hate bands that overly monetize their content to the point of creating a barrier to people hearing their music.
          I am not paying $90 for or even $50 for Tool because I am no Tool.

Comment

Nobody listens to new music anymore or what?
            Halestorm 24/7 dude.

(I kid....but only a little)
            “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
              I am not paying $90 for or even $50 for Tool because I am no Tool.
              HA! Good one!!
              “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

My favorite album this year was Julia Michaels "Inner Monologue" Part 1 and Part 2. I had a pretty difficult 2nd half of 2019 and that album was my soundtrack through some pretty intense bouts of depression and anxiety.

Additionally, I know it's over saturated and hyped at this point, but Billie Eilish's "When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?" is honestly a pretty outstanding album.

Comment

I've never gotten into these guys, around since the mid 90's, but this album was my first foray, and I loved it. It has a slight country/Americana vibe to about half the songs, the other half is more alt-rock, pop-rock. A few of my favourite radio friendly catchy tracks of the year on this one.
                  Have to check it out. Their first 3 albums are really solid if you are into psychedelic drone rock. Very cool band IMO. Saw them live a few times.

Comment

Feel free to add to the list!

I made 2 lists this year, due to hosting a radio show. I split the lists into top 20 international and/or mainstream successful and top 15 Canadian artists with smaller profiles.

Top 20

1 - Lightning Bolt - Sonic Citadel

This album shreds. Thrash metal with some super catchy riffage. Constantly careening almost off the rails.

2 - The Comet Is Coming - Trust in the Lifeforce of the Deep Mystery

Brilliant assortment of jazz, punk rock, electronic and everything in between. Prolific band leader, 3 different projects running concurrently of different jazz strains. This one is my fave.

3 - Carla Dal Forno - Look Up Sharp

Really cool no wave electronics. Dispassionate and spooky vocals.

4 - Marissa Nadler and Stephen Brodsky - Droneflower

Beautiful, dark and crunchy guitar undertones added to heavenly vocals. It reminded me of Danzig's best work, (my fave is '4').

6 - The Mauskovic Dance Band - S/T

Not sure where they're from, but it's such a wild sound. Space-y electronic dance tunes that remind me of William Onyeabor, weird otherworldly synths bumbling and meandering through trippy melodies. Almost has a reggae vibe, but not quite.

7 - Peaking Lights & Lee Scratch Perry - Life of the Plants

I've never explored Lee Scratch Perry before, despite some notable guest spots (Beastie Boys from the Hello Nasty album). This collab with one of my favourite current groups (Peaking Lights) is excellent. I'm just starting into Perry's back catalog now.

8 - King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Infest the Rats' Nest

Thrash metal done right. Very tight, fast, and surprisingly interesting lyrical narratives. "There Is No Planet B" is a great sing-along chorus to shout with. They constantly change up genres that they work in on each album, and this was their first metal album for the most part, but they did a great job with it.

9 - Kirin J Callinan - Return to Center

Covers album. A few duds, but 4-5 incredible takes. Australian who genre hops around.

10 - Battles - Juice B Crypts

Wild and crazy mix of electronics and guitar theatrics. Kinda like Ratatat.

11 - Matmos - Plastic Anniversary

Samples used to create the songs were made entirely of different noises made by plastic. Interesting mix from electronic veterans.

12 - Nate Young - Vol. 1: Dilemmas of Identity, Vol. 2: Nightshade

Started as a pretty harsh kind of noise artist about 20 years ago. Has morphed into experimental electronics.

13 - Leonard Cohen - Thanks for the Dance

Working at a record shop, I've had a chance to sell this album to dozens of elderly customers and engage in some great chat about Leonard Cohen. Highly enjoyable. The record itself is posthumously produced by his son, Adam Cohen, and other musicians like Feist, Beck, etc. I was a bit skeptical of the backing players, but I think they did a really great job of providing the tunes for Cohen's words to shine. It also contains one of Cohen's classic notch-in-the-belt songs about seducing a woman, called "Night of Santiago", which remains my favourite kind of Cohen song. A few tracks delve into mortality, and the musings of one at the end of life. Cohen fans will enjoy it. Probably too low on my list!

14 - Devendra Banhart - Ma

The first single is one of my favourite tracks of the year, and I like the album overall, but hasn't blown my socks off.

15 - Kim Gordon - No Home Record

3 incredible songs, all quite diverse, stand out. The rest of the album is kinda meh. But for a woman in her 60's, going solo for the first time, she makes some very bold choices, and they mostly pay off.

16 - Moon Duo - Stars are the Light

West coast psych-rockers, this band is more electronic influenced than the other main band (Wooden Shjips).

17 - Jeffrey Lewis & The Voltage - Bad Wiring

One of my favourite punk/folk kinda dudes. Always outstanding lyrical content, but the accompanying tunes here are a little on the forgettable side.

More to come later...
                    Umm...which one of these are classic. umm I need some fillar for our 1000 classic songs list.

All kidding aside I will check some of these out. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                      Umm...which one of these are classic. umm I need some fillar for our 1000 classic songs list.

All kidding aside I will check some of these out. Thanks for posting.
                      This one is pretty good:

Comment

I wish I could care as much about new music as I did 10+ years ago but whenever I listen to the artists that are supposed to be the "best of the year" I end up disappointed. I will say, however, that this band piqued my interest this year:

Comment

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                          I wish I could care as much about new music as I did 10+ years ago but whenever I listen to the artists that are supposed to be the "best of the year" I end up disappointed. I will say, however, that this band piqued my interest this year:

I'm not sure if i like it or not. I really like the sound of the band. Especially the bass player. Not crazy about the singer. His voice reminds me of Weird Al Yankovic.
                          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                            I'm not sure if i like it or not. I really like the sound of the band. Especially the bass player. Not crazy about the singer. His voice reminds me of Weird Al Yankovic.
                            I like the bass lead too (coming from a bass player so no surprise), but yeah, the vocals are a Weird Al parody of the Monkeys.

Comment

I like the White Reaper album, they put on a good live show. I personally like the earlier albums more, a little less polished than this one.

I've been meaning to put together a best of for 2019 but have gotten pretty busy lately.
                              I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Working...
                              X