2K20: Shohei Ohtani

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K20: Shohei Ohtani

How you grade him depends on how you will use him. Unlike most players there are three choices--SP/DH/Both.

His ADP at NFBC is late in the top 100, which would reflect drafting for both. The question is how to break it down if necessary.

Fangraph's auction tool, using base settings and Depth Chart projections, gives a SP value of $9.6 and DH value of $4.7. The combined value of $14.3 is consistent with an ADP in the 90s and breaks out as late 200s - early 300s as a hitter and low 100s as a pitcher. So, about 90% of the value is as a SP.

What do you think of the projections the values are based on?

As DH - 133 G, 560 PA, 29 HR, 81 R, 88 RBI, 13 SB, .280/.353/.523, .876 OPS, 2.7 WAR
    As SP - 8 W, 3.72 ERA, 19 GS, 110.0 IP, 135 K, 1.21 WHIP, 11.10 K/9, 3.39 BB/9, 3.78 BB/K 2.2 WAR

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

I think the ADP's and projections are, in a sense, all wrong. His value completely depends on league settings. When he is both pitching and hitting, he is almost worthless in leagues with weekly roster moves. He's a superstar in leagues with daily roster moves. In weekly leagues, he never gets more than one start, and, when it is near the end of the week, a rain out can mean he gets no starts. And he doesn't hit enough to be useable as a hitter in a weekly league. Now, if he gets both stats counting in a weekly league, he is back to being a superstar, but very few leagues have that. In daily move leagues, he can start and hit a few days a week and is awesome.

Comment

I am not sure I am willing to go that far. Even in weekly league, and on pitch count, he has value if the IP are good enough. However, the point is well taken. He's an irregular SP3 that might give you an occasional SP1 game.

J
      Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
        he is almost worthless in leagues with weekly roster moves.
        I'm guessing you don't play in AL Only leagues.

Comment

I have Ohtani in a 12 team a.l. only at $4...pitcher eligible only...and he is an automatic protect

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
            I think the ADP's and projections are, in a sense, all wrong. His value completely depends on league settings. When he is both pitching and hitting, he is almost worthless in leagues with weekly roster moves. He's a superstar in leagues with daily roster moves. In weekly leagues, he never gets more than one start, and, when it is near the end of the week, a rain out can mean he gets no starts. And he doesn't hit enough to be useable as a hitter in a weekly league. Now, if he gets both stats counting in a weekly league, he is back to being a superstar, but very few leagues have that. In daily move leagues, he can start and hit a few days a week and is awesome.
            Yep, I didn't extend him this year from $2 in my weekly league.
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

I have him at $2 as well and I am going to extend his contract by adding 2 years to take him to $12. I am in a weekly league AL only league and will plan to use him as a pitcher as I feel that is where his value has always been. Top pitchers go for $35 and up in my league, so I am good with $12. He would go for probably close to $20 if her were in the auction this year.

Comment

I am in a similar situation. This year his option is so cheap it's a no-brainer, probably 2021 as well. 2022 will be a bit dicier.

I don't think he loses that much as a SP in weekly leagues. It's the bat value that gets crushed. Cavebird is right about that part.

J
                Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Working...
                X