Ronny Chieng!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ronny Chieng!

I have not watched the Daily Show in years, and man, I must have been missing out. Hasan Minaj's Netflix special was really great. Loved it. But I just watched Ronny Chieng's special, and oh man, it is one of the best specials ever. I am a stand up junkie, but very rarely have I seen a set so polished, so thought out, and so, freaking funny. He mentions in it that he does like 5 or 6 shows every night. It shows. This guy is like watching a pitcher throw a no hitter. The dude's material and delivery is a thing of hilarious beauty. I almost never laugh out loud when I am alone, but did several times during his special. A must watch!

I only saw snippets, but my wife loved the Ronny Chieng special. I'll be seeing him live in February, I think, at a festival in Vancouver. I'm not interested in many other headliners. Hannah Gadsby and Bill Burr both irritate me, so I'll skip them. Patton Oswalt, I used to enjoy, now seems shockingly old, boring, out of touch.

I will see Margaret Cho, as my wife loves her. I'm also very excited to attend a taping of How Did This Get Made?, a podcast about bad movies.

My #1 most anticipated performer from the festival is Bobcat Goldthwait. I haven't seen any new standup from Bobcat, just the old 80's album "Meat Bob", but I'm a huge fan of his film career. Shakes The Clown, World's Greatest Dad, God Bless America, and Willow Creek are all awesome. Should be interesting.
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Where is the Ronny Chieng special? Also Netflix? I discovered Hasan Minhaj's Patriot Act a few weeks ago and binge watched all of the episodes, which were great. I'm already re-watching select episodes with my wife or my kids.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
        Where is the Ronny Chieng special? Also Netflix? I discovered Hasan Minhaj's Patriot Act a few weeks ago and binge watched all of the episodes, which were great. I'm already re-watching select episodes with my wife or my kids.
        Yes, Netflix.

Comment

Yep, very funny.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
            I watched several episodes, generally enjoyed it. However, the Brazil corruption episode is fake news. Just 7 months ago, Minhaj made a joke about Lula being in prison "for stealing dvd's from Redbox... just kidding, corruption."

Lula is now out of prison for the bullshit charges. I'm presuming Minhaj never corrected the record. Watching the episode live, I called out bullshit, and I'm not particularly well informed on international politics. It seems like the most blatant lie, or the most idiotic writers. Maybe his writers are composed of too many comedian punch-up artists and not enough actually knowledgable people.

In any case, I stopped watching after this happened. YouTube political pundits are almost as funny, and at least they don't lie for the sake of a laugh.

Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
              Yep, very funny.
              It was, but I was most impressed with the polish, and the obvious work that went into perfecting it. This from a dude working in a second language, in a country he has been in for just three years. He made me laugh and feel like a bum who doesn't work hard enough at the same time .

Comment

Ronny Chieng didn't work out, there were only a handful of seats in the last 2 rows, and $45. Went with Bobcat Goldthwait and Judah Friedlander, both playing venues without assigned seating. I feel like Friedlander found another level after Trump's election. His last special was awesome. Other options I'm considering, Todd Barry. His crowd work tour is funny, but it's more of my wife and friends' interest. Jay Pharoah, also for my wife. Ron Funches, I would love, but there's a timing conflict.

I also got tickets for How Did This Get Made, a podcast about bad or batshit crazy movies, and I'll get to view something. They introduced me to a few cult classics.

I have a question that maybe should have it's own thread, but I'll stick it here. Anybody with recommendations for family friendly standup that's good? My daughter is a precocious 12 year old, not exposed to the filth I was in my youth. Eddie Murphy's Delirious and Martin Lawrence were my childhood faves. She loved 2 different Ellen specials, plus Nate Bargatze from Netflix, but that's all she's seen. I think Jim Gaffigan is next for us, but I would really appreciate any suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                  Ronny Chieng didn't work out, there were only a handful of seats in the last 2 rows, and $45. Went with Bobcat Goldthwait and Judah Friedlander, both playing venues without assigned seating. I feel like Friedlander found another level after Trump's election. His last special was awesome. Other options I'm considering, Todd Barry. His crowd work tour is funny, but it's more of my wife and friends' interest. Jay Pharoah, also for my wife. Ron Funches, I would love, but there's a timing conflict.

I also got tickets for How Did This Get Made, a podcast about bad or batshit crazy movies, and I'll get to view something. They introduced me to a few cult classics.

I have a question that maybe should have it's own thread, but I'll stick it here. Anybody with recommendations for family friendly standup that's good? My daughter is a precocious 12 year old, not exposed to the filth I was in my youth. Eddie Murphy's Delirious and Martin Lawrence were my childhood faves. She loved 2 different Ellen specials, plus Nate Bargatze from Netflix, but that's all she's seen. I think Jim Gaffigan is next for us, but I would really appreciate any suggestions.
                  Gaffigan is awesome. Brian Regan works clean and is very funny.

Tom Papa is a funny clean comedian. They play some of his bits on the clean sirius comedy channel. He has announced a new tour. I think the closest he will be to you is Detroit Lakes Minnesota on Feb.14th at the Historic Holmes Theater. Unfortunately for me the closest he will be to Chicago is Nashville, with the Detroit Lakes as the second closest.

Comment

Working...
                  X