Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh Christmas Tree...

Christmas Tree Production in America

Although many love the smell of fresh pine, the majority of Americans display an artificial Christmas tree — 64.9% of households, to be exact. Only 18.2% of households have a real tree.
    There are approximately 15,000 Christmas tree farms across the country, employing about 100,000 people.
    The vast majority of Christmas trees are grown on farms located in Oregon, North Carolina, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin.
    Approximately 98% of Christmas trees - about 350 million - are grown on farms.
    Even though they’re sold only once a year, Christmas trees generate a lot of money. In 2016, consumers spent $1 trillion on Christmas trees in the U.S.
    It takes about 8 years for a Christmas tree to achieve a height of 6 to 7 feet.
    To keep their farms replenished Christmas tree farmers plant between 1 and 3 new seedlings for every harvested tree.

Real and Artificial Christmas Tree Sustainability

Although they’re reusable for a certain amount of time, artificial trees have a higher carbon footprint than real, felled Christmas trees, as the vast majority of artificial models are made of PVC, which doesn’t decompose and creates hazardous fumes during the production process.
    Christmas tree farms, on the other hand, are good for the environment as they can consume up to 12,000 pounds of greenhouse gas emissions every year.
    The main sustainability issues with real Christmas trees involve the amount of fuel used to deliver them around the country, the amount of fuel used by consumers when picking up their trees, and tree disposal.
    There are over 4,000 Christmas tree recycling programs across the U.S.-Thomas Insights

Yeah, I read long ago that live trees are much better for the environment, which is why I stuff an 8 footer in my old Honda Fit every year (that's right, in, not on, just for the looks as I get it in there).

One note, whatever that source is, it must be off by a factor of a thousand. No way in heaven or heck do Americans spend a trillion on xmas trees a year. A billion, I could believe, if it includes all the bells and tinsels.

Comment

BTW, we are a Douglas Fir family. Good trees. Nice Smell. Lasts a month or more if you keep them watered.

Comment

my parents grew up in the Depression, and one year when I was a kid, for a Christmas tree - this would be early 1970s - Dad chopped down a tree in our (small) front yard.

the tree looked the part, but kids in the neighborhood with younger parents couldn't believe we did that.

hey, it was a simpler time.
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
          my parents grew up in the Depression, and one year when I was a kid, for a Christmas tree - this would be early 1970s - Dad chopped down a tree in our (small) front yard.

the tree looked the part, but kids in the neighborhood with younger parents couldn't believe we did that.

Unless you replant, you can't go to the well very often with a small front yard, but I know someone here in upstate NY that does have enough land and trees to do this--talk about doing away with the carbon foot print and expense!

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post

Creating a lifetime Christmas memory.

I love it.

Comment

yeah, all of us kids loved it - and yes that was a "one and done."

finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                Yeah, I read long ago that live trees are much better for the environment, which is why I stuff an 8 footer in my old Honda Fit every year (that's right, in, not on, just for the looks as I get it in there).

One note, whatever that source is, it must be off by a factor of a thousand. No way in heaven or heck do Americans spend a trillion on xmas trees a year. A billion, I could believe, if it includes all the bells and tinsels.
                $3000 on a Christmas tree for each man, woman, and child
                "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Yep no Trillion. I just saw that projections for this year are $1.3 Billion for both artificial and real.

Comment

You do all know that the term Christmas tree makes no sense, right? It was stolen from the pagans.
                    “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
                      You do all know that the term Christmas tree makes no sense, right? It was stolen from the pagans.
                      I am not so sure about that. If we are just talking about having a Christmas tree at Christmas and not about the history of celebrating Jesus birth in winter than we have some things to consider.

While it is true that pagans used bows, logs, branches, leaves for their celebrations there is some Old Testament scripture to consider as well.

Leviticus 23:40 says:
                      And you shall take on the first day the fruit of splendid trees, branches of palm trees and boughs of leafy trees and willows of the brook, and you shall rejoice before the Lord your God seven days.

Some believe this verse means the tree is a celebratory symbol based on the worship of God.

But what about bringing in the whole tree?

Devout German Christians are credited with bringing actual trees into their homes in the 16th century. Many believe Christian reformer Martin Luther is the first to put candles on an indoor tree.

Our tree is to bring joy to our family and all who enter our home at this time of celebration. It is a big one that would make Sparky Griswold proud. While we were decorating this year's tree one of my family members asked about the connection between the tree and the birth of Jesus. I told them that this is just one giant birthday candle to honor our Lord at the time we choose to celebrate His birth.

All are welcome in our house. I think Jesus is happy with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                        I am not so sure about that. If we are just talking about having a Christmas tree at Christmas and not about the history of celebrating Jesus birth in winter than we have some things to consider.

While it is true that pagans used bows, logs, branches, leaves for their celebrations there is some Old Testament scripture to consider as well.

Leviticus 23:40 says:
                        And you shall take on the first day the fruit of splendid trees, branches of palm trees and boughs of leafy trees and willows of the brook, and you shall rejoice before the Lord your God seven days.

Some believe this verse means the tree is a celebratory symbol based on the worship of God.

But what about bringing in the whole tree?

Devout German Christians are credited with bringing actual trees into their homes in the 16th century. Many believe Christian reformer Martin Luther is the first to put candles on an indoor tree.

Our tree is to bring joy to our family and all who enter our home at this time of celebration. It is a big one that would make Sparky Griswold proud. While we were decorating this year's tree one of my family members asked about the connection between the tree and the birth of Jesus. I told them that this is just one giant birthday candle to honor our Lord at the time we choose to celebrate His birth.

All are welcome in our house. I think Jesus is happy with that.
                        I stand corrected.
                        “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

Good stuff, except, of course, Jesus was not born in the winter--all the evidence points to him being born any time but Winter (some camps say spring, some say early Fall, specifically September). But we do need a good, bright celebration is the dark cold times, so having Christmas around the winter solstice makes sense to move it to then, when the pagans were already celebrating.

https://www.bibleinfo.com/en/questio...was-jesus-born
                          Last edited by Sour Masher; 12-17-2019, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Good stuff, except, of course, Jesus was not born in the winter--all the evidence points to him being born in late summer or early fall, probably September. But we do need a good, bright celebration is the dark cold times, so having Christmas around the winter solstice makes sense to move it to then, when the pagans were already celebrating.

https://www.bibleinfo.com/en/questio...was-jesus-born
                            Thank you and I did cover that winter thing in my first two sentences:

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                              Thank you and I did cover that winter thing in my first two sentences:
                              Yeah, I just wanted to highlight it, cuz it is a pretty big example of how religion shifts facts to suit larger practical concerns. Totally understandable, but a blow to those who accept all religious dogma as dogma.

ETA: But I shouldn't be derailing this thread. Christmas Trees are great. I never had a real one growing up, but my wife started that tradition for us, and I love it. I'm pro live trees for all.

Comment

Working...
                              X