What's new with you? We're moving to the country

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
    Last night's conversation was, John Deere or Kubota ...
    Fuck John Deere. They hold farmers over a barrel.

Any landscaping equipment inquiries, I'm your guy.

Toro produces the best riding mowers, in my mind. Stihl produces the best hedge trimmers and weedeaters (get a Kombi engine where you can switch the power heads). Loppers are an essential yard tool as well. Most can make do without a chainsaw, but the chainsaw attachment for Stihl is so handy being on an extended pole, I recommend it for convenience. Most folks with that acreage will have trees coming down that need to be dealt with. Trimmer chainsaw is enough to handle most of those jobs.

Congrats on the move. Perhaps some years in a quieter space will make you appreciate the big city more when you visit, or if you move back in retirement.

I miss the music scene and friends too much, so I'll be re-entering the big city slog in a few more years. Enjoying my big giant house while it lasts.
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post

Toro produces the best riding mowers, in my mind. Stihl produces the best hedge trimmers and weedeaters (get a Kombi engine where you can switch the power heads). Loppers are an essential yard tool as well. Most can make do without a chainsaw, but the chainsaw attachment for Stihl is so handy being on an extended pole, I recommend it for convenience. Most folks with that acreage will have trees coming down that need to be dealt with. Trimmer chainsaw is enough to handle most of those jobs.

Congrats on the move. Perhaps some years in a quieter space will make you appreciate the big city more when you visit, or if you move back in retirement.

I miss the music scene and friends too much, so I'll be re-entering the big city slog in a few more years. Enjoying my big giant house while it lasts.
      Great info, thanks tw. Any experience with the electric tools that have been coming out lately (e.g. EGO at home depot?) ... they seem to have some solid reviews.
      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
        Congrats, Trana!
        Ex-Trana. He can't take it with him.

Comment

Originally posted by Whitey View Post
          Ex-Trana. He can't take it with him.
          damn. didn't think about that. end of an era ... I'm pretty sure I set that username up back in the last century.
          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Cool Greg.

We relocated to north of Kingston (Harrowsmith) last year. Didn't move from the GTA, but, happy to put more distance between us and there! We built new on 5.2 acres, treed lot.

Love it.

Even the local black bear.

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post

I get by, so far, with a Stihl 180. I also use an 18V ryobi cordless for upper branches. That said, I haven't tried to tackle some of the monster trees on our lot with my little saw!

And agreed, Kubota for sure. We have a dealership literally down the road from us. But, we smartly refused any/all grass planting on our lot. Screw mowing. Got the builders to mulch the cedars they needed to take down - using that in lieu of grass. We won't grow it if we can't eat it.

Comment

Congrats! I lived in Cherry Valley from age 2-7 and my dad taught in Picton from the mid 70s to the mid-90s. My grandparents built a house in Cressy in the late 70s and lived there until the mid 2000s. Lots of connections there for me. I knew "The County" was cool before it was cool.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
                  Congrats! I lived in Cherry Valley from age 2-7 and my dad taught in Picton from the mid 70s to the mid-90s. My grandparents built a house in Cressy in the late 70s and lived there until the mid 2000s. Lots of connections there for me. I knew "The County" was cool before it was cool.
                  Wow, interesting. I guess I'm late to the party ... but at least I made it!!!

We moved on the weekend. We're now living out of boxes. Super stressful, but we made it. If I'm not posting much in January it's because I'll be sleeping. Or sitting mindlessly staring into space.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                    If I'm not posting much in January it's because I'll be sleeping. Or sitting mindlessly staring into space.
                    Hell, you could have done that in Toronto ... sitting in your car at the intersection, after the light's turned green.

Comment

Working...
                    X