Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the Most Iconic Song of the 1990s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
    The fact that this one got left off is quite... oh I can't think of the word...

I posted the far superior Alanis song. She was definitely iconic 90s, and I liked her a lot, but as a teacher of writing, I can't get past how the only thing ironic about her song ironic is how nothing she lists is ironic .

Comment

• For the 80s we stuck with just one song per artist and I think that's a good rule.
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
        I posted the far superior Alanis song.
        I feel like this is the more iconic one, superiority aside, but you may be right

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
        She was definitely iconic 90s, and I liked her a lot, but as a teacher of writing, I can't get past how the only thing ironic about her song ironic is how nothing she lists is ironic .
        Or was the fact that none of it was ironic the true irony?

Comment

I feel like this is the more iconic one, superiority aside, but you may be right

Or was the fact that none of it was ironic the true irony?
          All we have to do is change one letter and she crushes the field.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

IDK, maybe it was just my peer group or my emotional connection with the songs, but I thought You Oughta Know felt ground breaking while Ironic felt lame. You Oughta Know is the reason I bought the CD. Ironic is the song I always skipped. You Oughta Know is the song that my first girlfriend in high school sang and gave me all the hopeful feels when she got to the bit about activities in movie theaters (alas, the song did not inspire her to do the deed). It is the edgy, raw song that seemed to spawn a thousand lame imitators. Ironic got a lot of play, but never seemed iconic to me. But again, that may be personal bias cuz of that girl and that line and my teenage hopes .

My fav song from that album was actually the acapella bonus track Your House: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIwFsYyroJ0

And my favorite tune of her today is her cover of Seal's Crazy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIwFsYyroJ0

Finally, I think this is a better version of Ironic

Last edited by Sour Masher; 12-04-2019, 10:04 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
              sorry - wrong song - here is the iconic one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-HLxpWGCzc

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                IDK, maybe it was just my peer group or my emotional connection with the songs, but I thought You Oughta Know felt ground breaking while Ironic felt lame.
                I don't disagree with you there. It's lame.

But ironic peaked at #4 on the billboard charts and You Oughta Know made it to #6. The ironic video has 130MM views on youtube and You Oughta Know has 45MM.

Her fans would vastly prefer You Oughta Know. But if you walked up to a random Joe Shmoe and asked them to name an Alanis Morissette song, more of them would say Ironic.

But I'm just arguing to argue at this point. Lets stay with You Oughta Know.

Comment

• This might be fun to do with movies too....down the road.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                    This might be fun to do with movies too....down the road.
                    Looks like a really cheesy movie, I don't think that one would win.

Madman killing teenagers on a campsite is always a preferred pastime and "Down The Road" is now touring film festivals around the world gathering fantastic r...

Comment

• How did Steve not make a thread called "What is the Most Ironic Song of the 1990s" yet?

Comment

• Originally posted by ironfist View Post
                        How did Steve not make a thread called "What is the Most Ironic Song of the 1990s" yet?
                        The is no Steve....there is only Steve 2.0
                        “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

Working...
                        X