Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atheists in Iowa

https://friendlyatheist.patheos.com/...NhfB1vdbI9uOJ0
    “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

I'm a big fan of friendly atheism. Seriously, though, the confrontational, "angry" atheism of Hitchens, Dawkins, Harris and Maher serves/served a purpose, but also stereotyped atheism and secularism in a harsh light of sarcasm, scorn, anger and aggression. I personally find no conflict in my mind/heart between my lack of belief in G-d and peace/happiness/kindness/empathy.

And defaulting to a pluralistic and secular (or non-denominational) "Happy Holidays" is not waging "war" on Christmas or Christians, but rather is born of a desire to be open and welcoming of all, extending brotherhood/sisterhood equally to all.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
      ... And defaulting to a pluralistic and secular (or non-denominational) "Happy Holidays" is not waging "war" on Christmas or Christians, but rather is born of a desire to be open and welcoming of all, extending brotherhood/sisterhood equally to all.
      Preach it brother B-Fly!!!!!
      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

I see the atheists won 7-1.

Given this victory speech:

"Considering there were only two secular displays in the Capitol this time last year, the atheists have clearly figured out how to play the game this time around. Better to have their well-wishes than another Nativity scene shoved down everyone’s throat."

I am pretty sure their Happy Holidays are not meant for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post

"Considering there were only two secular displays in the Capitol this time last year, the atheists have clearly figured out how to play the game this time around. Better to have their well-wishes than another Nativity scene shoved down everyone’s throat."

I disagree, and to me this is the same logic that leads to "all lives matter" and "straight pride" parades.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

I'm not sure why you feel this way. I didn't mean to offend anyone when I posted this.

I do agree with B that angry atheism is not really doing anyone any good.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
              I'm not sure why you feel this way. I didn't mean to offend anyone when I posted this.

I do agree with B that angry atheism is not really doing anyone any good.
              You did not offend me at all.

I appreciate your friendship and am glad you are back.

I think B-Fly is the poster boy for non-angry atheists.

That said the author of the article is not. It is most certainly written as us vs. them and winning. This does not offend me either.

If you or B-Fly wished me a Happy Holidays I would not think you were making any point other than Happy Holidays.

If Mehta wished me a Happy Holidays it would stand for something quite different. I would hope that I would not get angry or snarky comment if I did.

Romans 12:18
              If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all.

Comment

From the same article, this quote seem seems a bit more inclusive ...

“These displays represent a wide swath of Iowa: atheist and humanist, college-aged to the more experienced in life, queer and straight, transgender and/or nonbinary, Iowans of all backgrounds, races and socio-economic status, as well as from various parts of Iowa,” he added."
                It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                  I disagree, and to me this is the same logic that leads to "all lives matter" and "straight pride" parades.
                  I didn't read Gregg's post that way at all, so I'm interested in a differing opinion. Which part are you disagreeing with and what about his post is similar to "all lives matter"?

Comment

You did not offend me at all.

I appreciate your friendship and am glad you are back.

I think B-Fly is the poster boy for non-angry atheists.

That said the author of the article is not. It is most certainly written as us vs. them and winning. This does not offend me either.

If you or B-Fly wished me a Happy Holidays I would not think you were making any point other than Happy Holidays.

If Mehta wished me a Happy Holidays it would stand for something quite different. I would hope that I would not get angry or snarky comment if I did.

Romans 12:18
                    If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all.
                    Happy Holidays!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
                      Happy Holidays!
                      Thank you and to you and yours as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                        I didn't read Gregg's post that way at all, so I'm interested in a differing opinion. Which part are you disagreeing with and what about his post is similar to "all lives matter"?
                        "All lives matter" was a response to "black lives matter" by people who were triggered that African Americans had the audacity to declare that it wasn't ok for police to murder them at will. The slogan in no way implied that "all lives don't matter". Not everyone who uses this slogan is even aware of how offensive it is. My younger half-sister (we never lived together and she's much younger) had an "all lives matter shirt" on and we were at a mall and I couldn't even look strangers in the eye because I was so embarrassed. I did feel compelled to address it with her and she seemed to understand.

Promoting inclusion of all people during this time of year, regardless of their religious beliefs, similarly isn't meant to imply that Christians aren't welcome but rather make it clear that everyone else is too.

The similarity is distorting a message from a marginalized group as an attack on the dominant group. I'm not saying Gregg meant it this way (and his reply certainly didn't argue that point) but the logic IMO is similar.
                        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                        - Terence McKenna

Comment

For what it's worth, if I'm speaking to a person whose religion and/or holiday traditions I know, I'll wish them a specific "Merry Christmas", "Happy Hanukkah", "Happy Diwali" - whatever. But if I don't know a person's religion or if I'm sending out greetings to a diverse group (as with my family's holiday card mailing or an email to all of my co-workers, for example), then I would go with the open and inclusive "Happy Holidays". I will admit that it really bothers me when folks argue that "Merry Christmas" should be said instead of "Happy Holidays" when one is communicating to a diverse group (like, for example, a retail store or restaurant's customers) or to an individual who's holiday tradition you don't know. I find it baffling that anyone would object to "Happy Holidays" in those contexts.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                            For what it's worth, if I'm speaking to a person whose religion and/or holiday traditions I know, I'll wish them a specific "Merry Christmas", "Happy Hanukkah", "Happy Diwali" - whatever. But if I don't know a person's religion or if I'm sending out greetings to a diverse group (as with my family's holiday card mailing or an email to all of my co-workers, for example), then I would go with the open and inclusive "Happy Holidays". I will admit that it really bothers me when folks argue that "Merry Christmas" should be said instead of "Happy Holidays" when one is communicating to a diverse group (like, for example, a retail store or restaurant's customers) or to an individual who's holiday tradition you don't know. I find it baffling that anyone would object to "Happy Holidays" in those contexts.
                            Exactly.
                            - Terence McKenna

Comment

Not knowing all the details, but this display at the State Capital is a no-win situation for anyone affiliated with organized religion. If they get something approved, the angry atheists file a lawsuit about separation of church and state.

I don't see this as a win for atheists, as there isn't a fair playing field, if anyone is willing to play. IMO, it's atheists stealing someone's ball, and telling them to go home, as you suck at baseball.

BAH-HUMBUG!
                              "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                              - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                              - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Working...
                              X