Question for Techies...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for Techies...

I live at the Ass End of the universe and my internet is abysmally slow...I'm talking less than 2 Mbps on a good day. Would changing out my router and/or modem make any appreciable difference? I'm with Century Link and I have no other options other than satellite, and I've done that bit before.

Any tips would be appreciated...thanks.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Not a techie, but....

- what's the internet speed you're currently paying for (i.e. 25mbps, 50 mbps, 100 mbps)?
    - are you referring to your wi-fi speed? Or hard-wired speed?
    - If you're referring to your Wi-fi speed, then YES -- a higher quality wifi router is not only necessary but essential
    - as I found out recently, my Verizon wifi router -- and my wifi adapter on my desktop -- were capped at a certain speed. Buying a new router and adapter now gave me full wifi speed as advertised by my ISP (100 mbps)

Comment

Connectivity is only as fast as the slowest portion of the chain. If you're paying for 100 Mbps from your ISP and only getting 2 on bandwidth tests, try directly connecting to your modem first and re-running the test. If you get better speeds, your issue is your wifi router. If you get similar speeds, the issue is the modem (and on CenturyLink to improve).

Comment

Working...
      X