Arron Hicks.....TJ Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
    In our inaugural auction, rookie Dwight Gooden was bought for 5 bucks.

if he had stayed off drugs, it would have been silly - in our minds - for that hunch to pay off for many, many years. he actually had a contract of 5, 5, then 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 from his owner. he just snorted away that advantage, eventually.
    Why would it have been silly though? For every hit on a prospect for $5, surely you miss on several, and the system self balances. Otherwise your competition should be paying more for those prospects. The market corrects itself in this case.

Taking out the fun of hitting on a cheap prospect lotto ticket is just removing the fun from the game in my opinion. Let them be extended.

Comment

"Taking out the fun of hitting on a cheap prospect lotto ticket is just removing the fun from the game in my opinion. Let them be extended."

yes, I already said that.

but if it's that much fun, why ever raise their price?

what could be more "fun" than spending a single buck on a future HOF, then making a double-digit profit on him for 20 years?

wait, there are other owners to think about? and if one owner builds up enough of a war chest, it might lead to owners leaving the league?

if there is an objection to my example, then all we are doing is "haggling over price."
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

"Taking out the fun of hitting on a cheap prospect lotto ticket is just removing the fun from the game in my opinion. Let them be extended."

yes, I already said that.

but if it's that much fun, why ever raise their price?

what could be more "fun" than spending a single buck on a future HOF, then making a double-digit profit on him for 20 years?

wait, there are other owners to think about? and if one owner builds up enough of a war chest, it might lead to owners leaving the league?

if there is an objection to my example, then all we are doing is "haggling over price."
        I think the "free" years followed by the ability to "extend" based on an increased price per year is an attempt to model out the real world GM situations with team control and contract extensions. Seems to work fine in every league I've been in without a 2 year max. No haggling over price needed.
        Last edited by Ken; 11-11-2019, 07:22 PM.

Comment

this was the phrase in the discussion:

"(2 years is the max, which is a rule I highly recommend to help boost league stability. if you have lost owners and it's because a team or two is just utterly unbeatable, double that recommendation)."

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

the advantage to deciding not to extend contracts applies to the Aaron Hicks's of the world - so almost everybody.

the limit on long, long, long term contracts is for the Black Swans - Trout, Gooden, etc.
            That helps. It does seem like there are more than 2 buckets. 90-95% of the people I see get extensions are somewhere between Aaron Hicks and Mike Trout.

I prefer less restriction on long term contracts, but it seems like that works for your league.
            ---------------------------------------------
            Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
            ---------------------------------------------
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

my main point really was that I find that owner retention seems to be really difficult.

and I think that, assuming there is a good group there, that sometimes rules that most benefit the "sharps" don't boost owner retention. getting to own a stud forever strikes me as one possible issue.

another is the zeal to keep "evolving" on stat categories - because God forbid a category becomes so seemingly random that it gives everyone a more equal chance to compete (SV are a good example).

well, sure, if your only goal as an owner is to squash as forcibly as possibly randomness that limits the advantage you have from your expertise and your extensive research.

but is that the core point of the founding of most Rotisserie Leagues? I doubt it.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Working...
              X