Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2k20: Yoenis Cespedes

Is this the year he stays healthy.

The last time he had more than 291 abs was 2016.

He is 34 now. I imagine he was picked up cheap in keeper leagues last year. But what is cheap? In our 12 team NL only he went for $11. Would you pay that this year?

The current owner is asking for a reserve round draft pick for him. I have to admit I am tempted.

If his rehab continues well, I get a potential bargain. If it doesn't I cut him and move on.

Thoughts?

Where are you hearing his rehab is going well? RotoWorld doesn't seem to agree:

Mets general manager Brodie Van Wagenen said Monday that it's "too early to tell" if Yoenis Cespedes (ankle) will be back in 2020.
    On the way back from surgery on both of his heels, Cespedes suffered multiple fractures in his right ankle this May after falling into a hole on his ranch. He required surgery to repair the fractures and it doesn't sound like the Mets have the slightest idea about his progress. "I don't have enough information to predict when he's going to be back," said Van Wagenen. It certainly sounds like the Mets aren't counting on him moving forward, though he is still owed $29.5 million next year.

That's not promising. It's not "too early to tell" if he's back to start the season, it's "too early to tell" if he's back in 2020.
    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
      Is this the year he stays healthy.
      I'd give him a snowblower's chance in hell.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
        Where are you hearing his rehab is going well? RotoWorld doesn't seem to agree:

Mets general manager Brodie Van Wagenen said Monday that it's "too early to tell" if Yoenis Cespedes (ankle) will be back in 2020.
        On the way back from surgery on both of his heels, Cespedes suffered multiple fractures in his right ankle this May after falling into a hole on his ranch. He required surgery to repair the fractures and it doesn't sound like the Mets have the slightest idea about his progress. "I don't have enough information to predict when he's going to be back," said Van Wagenen. It certainly sounds like the Mets aren't counting on him moving forward, though he is still owed $29.5 million next year.

That's not promising. It's not "too early to tell" if he's back to start the season, it's "too early to tell" if he's back in 2020.
        One of the rotoworld blurbs used the word encouraging. I also thought I read he was doing light running somewhere else. I took a short look and could not find it.

I was hoping to gauge the pen's thoughts on him (thank you) for 2020. I would use this to see if I am going to try and catch lightening in a bottle. As you might expect the cost to do so is pretty cheap.

Comment

I guess if I squint I can see the upside play but at this point the risk vs reward put him as something like a last round reserve pick in an only league. I can't imagine targetting him or giving up anything of value. When asked if he'd play in 2020 Brodie Van Wagenen was non committal. And even if he gets on the field, what are the odds that he stays? Maybe he'd have a chance in the AL as a DH? I don't know, still seems like extremely long odds. Hard pass.

Comment

Van Wagenen just said it was "too early to tell" if Cespedes will play in '20. That's not a good sign. I think they've already written him off as a sunk cost.

Comment

Thanks gentlemen.

I just let the owner know I am passing.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                Van Wagenen just said it was "too early to tell" if Cespedes will play in '20. That's not a good sign. I think they've already written him off as a sunk cost.
                The Mets have an insurance policy that pays them a large percentage of Cespedes' salary if he doesn't play.

Comment

Originally posted by eephus View Post
                  The Mets have an insurance policy that pays them a large percentage of Cespedes' salary if he doesn't play.
                  Which I guess is why they're very unconcerned.

Comment

"The Post has learned all involved parties agreed that Cespedes was injured on the [Port St. Lucie] ranch stepping into a hole after an interaction with a wild boar.

According to multiple people who were informed of the incident, Cespedes has traps on his ranch for a variety of reasons, including to keep boars away from people. But one boar was removed from a trap — perhaps by Cespedes — and either charged toward Cespedes or startled him, causing Cespedes to step into a hole."

https://nypost.com/2020/01/03/yoenis...ith-wild-boar/

Cespedes received just $22.8 million of what was supposed to be $29 million in salary last season. For 2020, the guaranteed portion of his contract was reduced from $29.5 million to $6 million. His salary rises to $11 million if Cespedes makes the Opening Day roster _ or if he goes on the injured list at that juncture for an ailment that does not involve his feet or ankle _ and gets prorated at that pay level if he joins the team any time after the season opener. Plate appearance bonuses could add another $9 million to Cespedes’ income.
                    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                      "The Post has learned all involved parties agreed that Cespedes was injured on the [Port St. Lucie] ranch stepping into a hole after an interaction with a wild boar.

According to multiple people who were informed of the incident, Cespedes has traps on his ranch for a variety of reasons, including to keep boars away from people. But one boar was removed from a trap — perhaps by Cespedes — and either charged toward Cespedes or startled him, causing Cespedes to step into a hole."

https://nypost.com/2020/01/03/yoenis...ith-wild-boar/

Cespedes received just $22.8 million of what was supposed to be $29 million in salary last season. For 2020, the guaranteed portion of his contract was reduced from $29.5 million to $6 million. His salary rises to $11 million if Cespedes makes the Opening Day roster _ or if he goes on the injured list at that juncture for an ailment that does not involve his feet or ankle _ and gets prorated at that pay level if he joins the team any time after the season opener. Plate appearance bonuses could add another $9 million to Cespedes’ income.
                      Feral boar is the correct term.
                      ---------------------------------------------
                      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                      ---------------------------------------------
                      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I have him as a $9 keeper ($280 12-team NL-only) for 2020. I am holding out hope that he's ready for Spring Training, and, if so, I'll keep him at that price.
                        2021 Auction Anatomy
                        2021 Keeper Decisions
                        2020 Auction Anatomy
                        2020 Pre-Auction
                        2015 Auction Anatomy
                        2014 Auction Anatomy
                        2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
                        RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                          Feral boar is the correct term.
                          "feral pigs" appears to be the most common term, chased by "feral hog," "feral swine" and "wild boar."

but "feral boar" does have its constituents, too.
                          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by ThatRogue View Post
                            I have him as a $9 keeper ($280 12-team NL-only) for 2020. I am holding out hope that he's ready for Spring Training, and, if so, I'll keep him at that price.
                            Michael Conforto said Saturday that Yoenis Cespedes (ankle, heels) "looks like a monster" early on in summer camp workouts.

“He looks like he’s motivated," Conforto said. "He looks like he’s in shape. I’ve seen some of the stuff he was doing to get himself ready, some videos of him working out at his ranch. The guy is definitely hungry. He misses the game.” The Mets aren't sure whether Cespedes will be ready to play left field come Opening Day, but it's looking like he should be fine to serve as a designated hitter. Cespedes is coming back from multiple heel surgeries and a fractured left ankle.

SOURCE: MLB.com
                            Jul 5, 2020, 10:38 AM ET

Comment

He's in the best shape of his hype...er...life.
                              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X