Thread: 2k20: Yoenis Cespedes

Hall of Famer

2k20: Yoenis Cespedes

Is this the year he stays healthy.

The last time he had more than 291 abs was 2016.

He is 34 now. I imagine he was picked up cheap in keeper leagues last year. But what is cheap? In our 12 team NL only he went for $11. Would you pay that this year?

The current owner is asking for a reserve round draft pick for him. I have to admit I am tempted.

If his rehab continues well, I get a potential bargain. If it doesn't I cut him and move on.

Thoughts?

Where are you hearing his rehab is going well? RotoWorld doesn't seem to agree:

Mets general manager Brodie Van Wagenen said Monday that it's "too early to tell" if Yoenis Cespedes (ankle) will be back in 2020.
    On the way back from surgery on both of his heels, Cespedes suffered multiple fractures in his right ankle this May after falling into a hole on his ranch. He required surgery to repair the fractures and it doesn't sound like the Mets have the slightest idea about his progress. "I don't have enough information to predict when he's going to be back," said Van Wagenen. It certainly sounds like the Mets aren't counting on him moving forward, though he is still owed $29.5 million next year.

That's not promising. It's not "too early to tell" if he's back to start the season, it's "too early to tell" if he's back in 2020.
    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    Is this the year he stays healthy.
    I'd give him a snowblower's chance in hell.

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
    Where are you hearing his rehab is going well? RotoWorld doesn't seem to agree:

Mets general manager Brodie Van Wagenen said Monday that it's "too early to tell" if Yoenis Cespedes (ankle) will be back in 2020.
    On the way back from surgery on both of his heels, Cespedes suffered multiple fractures in his right ankle this May after falling into a hole on his ranch. He required surgery to repair the fractures and it doesn't sound like the Mets have the slightest idea about his progress. "I don't have enough information to predict when he's going to be back," said Van Wagenen. It certainly sounds like the Mets aren't counting on him moving forward, though he is still owed $29.5 million next year.

That's not promising. It's not "too early to tell" if he's back to start the season, it's "too early to tell" if he's back in 2020.
    One of the rotoworld blurbs used the word encouraging. I also thought I read he was doing light running somewhere else. I took a short look and could not find it.

I was hoping to gauge the pen's thoughts on him (thank you) for 2020. I would use this to see if I am going to try and catch lightening in a bottle. As you might expect the cost to do so is pretty cheap.

I guess if I squint I can see the upside play but at this point the risk vs reward put him as something like a last round reserve pick in an only league. I can't imagine targetting him or giving up anything of value. When asked if he'd play in 2020 Brodie Van Wagenen was non committal. And even if he gets on the field, what are the odds that he stays? Maybe he'd have a chance in the AL as a DH? I don't know, still seems like extremely long odds. Hard pass.

Van Wagenen just said it was "too early to tell" if Cespedes will play in '20. That's not a good sign. I think they've already written him off as a sunk cost.

Hall of Famer
    Thanks gentlemen.

I just let the owner know I am passing.

Quote Originally Posted by revo View Post
    Van Wagenen just said it was "too early to tell" if Cespedes will play in '20. That's not a good sign. I think they've already written him off as a sunk cost.
    The Mets have an insurance policy that pays them a large percentage of Cespedes' salary if he doesn't play.

Quote Originally Posted by eephus View Post
    The Mets have an insurance policy that pays them a large percentage of Cespedes' salary if he doesn't play.
    Which I guess is why they're very unconcerned.