2K20: Mitch Garver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K20: Mitch Garver

Whut, where did this come from? .273/.365/.630 with 31 HRs, 70 R and 67 RBI in just 311 ABs?!?

He's always shown a good eye for walks, and his BABIP was perfectly in line with his BA. His HR/FB% was elevated at 25.2%, but I suppose you can make that argument for nearly every other major leaguer in 2019. Runs Scored are never a good measure of anything, but to see a catcher score that many runs in that few PAs is phenomenal and is a sign of good speed and on-base skills.

Jason Castro is gone via free agency, but they do have Willians Astudillio to take some PT, but if we saw Garver get another 125 PAs, he could remain as a Top 5 fantasy catcher. It's possible many are writing him off as a fluke, but I'm not so sure that he is.

It's too early to make any projections for '20, but what's the Pen's thoughts on Garver for next year?

This is the poster child for the juiced ball. His HR/FB% shot up dramatically from 8% to 29%, so it is no surprise that his HR went from 7 to 31.

One question is going to be what ball we see in 2020, the regular season ball or the playoffs ball. That will be a big factor in Garver's value.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
      This is the poster child for the juiced ball. His HR/FB% shot up dramatically from 8% to 29%, so it is no surprise that his HR went from 7 to 31.

One question is going to be what ball we see in 2020, the regular season ball or the playoffs ball. That will be a big factor in Garver's value.
      Good point on the ball.

I traded him very early last year year in a rebuild. The $4 owner is happy with him. I am guessing he is very cheap in most keeper leagues.

I still think he hits 20 hrs (should get more abs).

Comment

Garver started using the same personal hitting coach as Alex Bregman last winter and believes that helped increase his home run output.

http://www.startribune.com/mitch-gar.../?refresh=true
        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

wow, skills look more solid than I expected - and he just killed in September.

BB solid and xBA says .273 AVG was legit, though we don't have the desired multi-year track record. so agree that he may not be as doomed as we think, if the air comes out of the ball.

too bad he won't be available in many AL auctions come spring
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
            wow, skills look more solid than I expected - and he just killed in September.

BB solid and xBA says .273 AVG was legit, though we don't have the desired multi-year track record. so agree that he may not be as doomed as we think, if the air comes out of the ball.

too bad he won't be available in many AL auctions come spring
            Not really. He hit more HR in July and August. The best OPS month was April

1st half--.295/.375/.609, .984 OPS, 13 HR
            2nd half--.252/.355/.652, 1.007 OPS, 18 HR
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

by month:
              Mar/April 1.161
              May 1.166
              June .724
              July 1.046
              August .902
              September 1.119

he hit .348 and .303 in the first 2 months, then boosted his power at the expense of AVG
              Sept was his best across-the-board rate if you factor in BB/K. he appears to have been lucky in the early going

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                by month:
                Mar/April 1.161
                May 1.166
                June .724
                July 1.046
                August .902
                September 1.119

he hit .348 and .303 in the first 2 months, then boosted his power at the expense of AVG
                Sept was his best across-the-board rate if you factor in BB/K. he appears to have been lucky in the early going
                I would give you best month, but you said he killed it. That implies something quite a bit above the rest of the season.
                Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

I said he "killed it" because - beyond season-high across the board skills - he neither wore down from his catching duties, nor did large amounts of film available to other teams enable pitchers to make enough adjustments to prevent him from having another above-average month. that's extremely impressive.

even if you don't think he "killed it."

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

What will you pay for him (if available) in 2020?

Comment

In the last 20 years, Javy Lopez, Mike Piazza, and Gary Sanchez are the only catchers to have hit more home runs in a season than Garver's 31.
                      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                        What will you pay for him (if available) in 2020?
                        Depends on if it's a 1 or a 2 catcher league, but I think that you can slice the homers in half if they don't use the happy fun ball and still have a valuable contributor at catcher.
                        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                        -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                          In the last 20 years, Javy Lopez, Mike Piazza, and Gary Sanchez are the only catchers to have hit more home runs in a season than Garver's 31.
                          Rank in League in HR:

Piazza 6th, 5th, 9th, 4th, 7th, 10th
                          Lopez 10th, 4th
                          Sanchez 12th, 12th

Garver 24th

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Wow, 3 home runs (Sanchez had 34 in 2019) was worth 12 spots in the rankings last season. I would be interested to see their league rank in AB/HR. Piazza in some of those years had more than twice as many at bats as Garver. Alas, Garver would fall short of the 3.1 plate appearances per game required to make the leader board of any ratio stats.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                              Depends on if it's a 1 or a 2 catcher league, but I think that you can slice the homers in half if they don't use the happy fun ball and still have a valuable contributor at catcher.
                              Well, I’m very happily going to pay $2 in RJEL (keeper). Even if you half the HRs with his OBP he’s similar to what Lucroy used to do back when he was good.

Comment

Working...
                              X