Official "Most Iconic Song of the 1980s" Tourney Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
    I don't know how Money for Nothing beat I Love Rock n' Roll. It was an iconic video and a fine song, but surprised by that landslide over an all-time great.
    Ironically, Joan Jett's "I Love Rock n'Roll" was a remake of the 1975 song by The Arrows.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
      Ironically, Joan Jett's "I Love Rock n'Roll" was a remake of the 1975 song by The Arrows.
      Ironically Alanis Morissette's "Ironic" was released in 1995.

Comment

Man, these are the toughest match ups so far. Really hard picks, but ultimately, I went straight chalk. the hardest match ups were me voting against Take On Me and Come on Eileen for the first times. Love both those songs as much as the ones I chose, but Born in the USA, so iconic and the Boss needed to move on. Simple Minds is a worse music video, but the better song.
        I thought it was really good at the time. Judd Nelson, Allie Sheedy, Anthony Michael Hall....the janitor guy. Sure a little long at almost 2 hours, but overall really well done.
        ---------------------------------------------
        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
        ---------------------------------------------
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
          Simple Minds is a worse music video, but the better song.
          Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
          Judd Nelson, Allie Sheedy, Anthony Michael Hall....the janitor guy. Sure a little long at almost 2 hours, but overall really well done.
          Russell Crowe and Ed Harris were really good in that one too

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
            Ugh...I love Rock and Roll is one of the worst songs ever made lol
            Might help that I've seen it live and drunk. But, in general, I thought the game was to pick the most iconic, not the best, and it is the more iconic song of the 80s imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
              Ironically Alanis Morissette's "Ironic" was released in 1995.
              Well done.
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Might help that I've seen it live and drunk. But, in general, I thought the game was to pick the most iconic, not the best, and it is the more iconic song of the 80s imo.
                Disagree. The 80's ushered in the age of the video and no song/video captured that era like Money for Nothing.
                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                  Disagree. The 80's ushered in the age of the video and no song/video captured that era like Money for Nothing.
                  Great video, but I think Take on Me tops it.

Comment

Take on Me was also kind of revolutionary with its video, which was also shown in the theaters before movies.

Comment

Elite Eight Results

#1 (Don't You) Forget About Me - 14
                      #7 Take on Me - 3

#1 Born in the USA - 8
                      #2 Come on Eileen - 9

#4 You Spin Me Round (Like a Record) - 6
                      #6 Welcome to the Jungle - 11

#1 Whip It - 6
                      #6 Money for Nothing - 11

Wow, two #1 seeds go down in flames, and only one makes the Final Four

Comment

FINAL FOUR

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                          Elite Eight Results

#1 (Don't You) Forget About Me - 14
                          #7 Take on Me - 3

#1 Born in the USA - 8
                          #2 Come on Eileen - 9

#4 You Spin Me Round (Like a Record) - 6
                          #6 Welcome to the Jungle - 11

#1 Whip It - 6
                          #6 Money for Nothing - 11

Wow, two #1 seeds go down in flames, and only one makes the Final Four
                          obviously it's subjective but virtually all the songs I thought of as iconic are now ousted. Shocked to see Born in the USA gone.
                          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                            obviously it's subjective but virtually all the songs I thought of as iconic are now ousted. Shocked to see Born in the USA gone.
                            I'm surprised at Born in the USA. I'm not as surprised about the two #6 seeds.

Comment

Worthy final four but I too am surprised the Boss went down.
                              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

My 4 made it.
                                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Working...
                                X