2019-20 Offseason Transaction Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ken View Post
    I generally agree with the premise, but aren't minor league relievers pretty ubiquitous?
    Fair point but you still need 7-8 guys for a bullpen and the Mets thought highly enough of Blake Taylor to add him to the 40 man last month.

Comment

Originally posted by eephus View Post
      Fair point but you still need 7-8 guys for a bullpen and the Mets thought highly enough of Blake Taylor to add him to the 40 man last month.
      Again, playing a bit of devil's advocate here, but I don't think Taylor was among their top prospects on any lists I've seen. Minor league relievers hit now and then, but as far as trade value, it is very low. You can pick guys up off the scrap heap and turn them into "successful" middle relievers.

As far as adding to the 40 man, that can happen a) because they knew they were likely to trade him, or b) because he needed to be protected and there wasn't a better prospect that needed to be protected. i.e. at times it can speak more to your lack of prospects at the upper levels than it suggests that one particular prospect who was protected is good.
      Last edited by Ken; 12-05-2019, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Again, playing a bit of devil's advocate here, but I don't think Taylor was among their top prospects on any lists I've seen. Minor league relievers hit now and then, but as far as trade value, it is very low. You can pick guys up off the scrap heap and turn them into "successful" middle relievers.

As far as adding to the 40 man, that can happen a) because they knew they were likely to trade him, or b) because he needed to be protected and there wasn't a better prospect that needed to be protected. i.e. at times it can speak more to your lack of prospects at the upper levels than it suggests that one particular prospect who was protected is good.
        Time will tell for the prospects but getting anything of value for one year of a fourth OF seems like a good return.

As for the Mets, Marisnick is better and cheaper than Lagares. He can platoon with Nimmo in CF and be a defensive replacement for JD Davis (or Cespedes ;-)) but he has a career OPS of .660 and not a lot of upside.

Comment

Howie Kendrick returns to the Nats on a 1yr, $6.3m deal
          Dan Winkler to the Cubs

Comment

As for the Mets, Marisnick is better and cheaper than Lagares. He can platoon with Nimmo in CF and be a defensive replacement for JD Davis (or Cespedes ;-)) but he has a career OPS of .660 and not a lot of upside.
            He's a very good 4th outfielder. A lot of it comes from the defensive side. What other 4th OF has put up 10.5 bWAR over the last 6 seasons? I don't know for sure but I'd guess that there isn't one.

Comment

Rangers sign RHP Kyle Gibson for 3 yrs/$28 million.
              Twins sign C Alex Avila for 1 yr/ $4.25 million.
              Twins sign RHP Michael Pineda for 2 yrs/ $20 million.
              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

He's a very good 4th outfielder. A lot of it comes from the defensive side. What other 4th OF has put up 10.5 bWAR over the last 6 seasons? I don't know for sure but I'd guess that there isn't one.
                He's a useful piece that is a nice fit with the Mets.

The Astros have depth at the position with Myles Straw and were able to get something in return before Marisnick walks. Meanwhile the Mets will be in the market for his replacement a year from now.

Comment

Rangers sign RHP Jordan Lyles for 2 yrs/$16 million.
                  “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                    Rangers sign RHP Jordan Lyles for 2 yrs/$16 million.
                    Lyles, Gibson, Lynn, Minor and Allard is a decent rotation albeit one prone for some negative regression.

Comment

Lyles, Gibson, Lynn, Minor and Allard is a decent rotation albeit one prone for some negative regression.
                      Throw in Brock Burke for depth. Allard is on my stock watch list.

As a group, this is vastly better than two years ago. I wonder how the various IP will fall out.

J
                      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Strasburg re-signs with the Nats, 7 yrs, $220m

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                          Strasburg re-signs with the Nats, 7 yrs, $220m
                          I'm seeing 245

Comment

Didi goes to Philly
                            Gausman goes to SF, 1 yr $9m
                            Angels send Cozart and Will Wilson (15th pick in the 2019 draft) to SF for.... nothing

Comment

Angels send Cozart and Will Wilson (15th pick in the 2019 draft) to SF for.... nothing
                              Just a salary dump...Cozart makes 12.7 million in 2020, and they need to clear as much space as they can. A very probable indicator that they think they're in the lead for Cole. Had to attach a good prospect for the Giants to bite...
                              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                              -Warren Ellis

Comment

interesting.

Yankees fans will be VERY salty if they don't get Cole - understandably so.
                                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
                                X