Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ken View Post
    Dang Treinen fell far, fast.

He was the top RP taken in fantasy drafts last year. And now he's non-tendered.

Don't pay for closers, don't pay for closers, don't pay for closers!
    We'll have to do a thread on how to not-pay for closers. Just going from the basic four RP stats--K, ERA, WHIP, Sv--four of the top ten RP had ADP outside the top 300. Hansel Robles? Are you kidding me?
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
      We'll have to do a thread on how to not-pay for closers. Just going from the basic four RP stats--K, ERA, WHIP, Sv--four of the top ten RP had ADP outside the top 300. Hansel Robles? Are you kidding me?
      Yeah, and now I have to decide whether to keep a $8 Hansel Robles in an AL-only next year (and a $4 Taylor Rogers! and a $3 Joe Jimenez! ack!!)... or some other half-decent option instead! I think Fangraphs did a "Rotographs" article about where the sweet spot of paying for closers was a while back, and the long and short of it was pay for the top 2-4 guys but outside that you might as well roll the dice late. Of course that vein of advice seems to change every year based on how the prior year played out.

Comment

Cole Hamels to the Braves, 1 year, $18m

Comment

Zach Wheeler to the Phillies. Terms not disclosed as of yet.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
            Zach Wheeler to the Phillies. Terms not disclosed as of yet.
            5 years/$118 million.
            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by SlideRule View Post
              Yeah, and now I have to decide whether to keep a $8 Hansel Robles in an AL-only next year (and a $4 Taylor Rogers! and a $3 Joe Jimenez! ack!!)... or some other half-decent option instead! I think Fangraphs did a "Rotographs" article about where the sweet spot of paying for closers was a while back, and the long and short of it was pay for the top 2-4 guys but outside that you might as well roll the dice late. Of course that vein of advice seems to change every year based on how the prior year played out.
              The problem is that even the worst closers go for $15+ in auctions, so it's not exactly a dart throw price.

I have a long standing preference of paying a premium for top closers, but when $35 of your draft day budget goes to saves, that can be a hefty allotment to overcome. Especially if your planned "elite" closer has a year like Kenley Jansen or Edwin Diaz.
              Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                The problem is that even the worst closers go for $15+ in auctions, so it's not exactly a dart throw price.
                The worst ones go for $15? I don't think that's correct in the general sense.

But it definitely could be in your league. In that scenario I'd pass entirely and plan to be aggressive on closers on the waiver wire, using the extra $14 for improvements elsewhere.

Comment

Dylan Bundy traded to the Angels

Comment

Dylan Bundy traded to the Angels
                    Yay! Add a HR to all your AL West hitter projections (Angels aside, of course).

Comment

specifically:

ANAHEIM -- The Angels made their first offseason addition to their starting rotation on Wednesday, acquiring right-hander Dylan Bundy from the Orioles for Minor League right-handers Isaac Mattson, Zach Peek, Kyle Bradish and Kyle Brnovich.
                      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                        I don't know much, but I know my Padres.
                        I believe you. When will Gore be up?

Comment

The Brewers acquired C Omar Narvaez from the Mariners for RHP Adam Hill and a 2020 Competitive Balance Round B draft pick.
                          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Mets acquire Jake Marisnick from the Astros for minor leaguers Blake Taylor and Kenedy Corona.

Comment

Mets acquire Jake Marisnick from the Astros for minor leaguers Blake Taylor and Kenedy Corona.
                              I know it's a little deal but this type of transaction typifies why the Mets and the Astros are in the positions they are. Marisnick will fit into the short side of a CF platoon with Nimmo but he's a known (low) quantity on a market-rate contract and only one year of team control. The Astros flipped him for two prospects including a lefty reliever with good numbers at AA last year.

Comment

Originally posted by eephus View Post
                                I know it's a little deal but this type of transaction typifies why the Mets and the Astros are in the positions they are. Marisnick will fit into the short side of a CF platoon with Nimmo but he's a known (low) quantity on a market-rate contract and only one year of team control. The Astros flipped him for two prospects including a lefty reliever with good numbers at AA last year.
                                I generally agree with the premise, but aren't minor league relievers pretty ubiquitous?

Comment

Working...
                                X