Offseason Rumor Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
    Yeah it's 2018-2020 Im wondering about. The myth is they arent putting out optimal effort (like running harder on a ground ball to third base or something) in the middle years of the contract. I just find it is curious that he comes up with his biggest year just in time to get paid for it. Doesn't make it right.
    Well, if I were a really good player, let's call him Bryan Krist, who'd been screwed over by the team owners for an extra year of arbitration control, I'd certainly be disincentivized to rush back from injury, crash into walls, or do other such stuff until my last arb year.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
      Is overperforming in a contract year still a myth?
      It not my money but the price of doing business. He a good player and a really good glove but is he worth $300 mil?

Comment

Originally posted by pitbull View Post
        It not my money but the price of doing business. He a good player and a really good glove but is he worth $300 mil?
        Well, you have to factor in the "he's a scumbag and a cheater" component, too.

I mean, the guy is an above average player but I would not want him anywhere near my team. The guy is a total disgrace.
        More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
          Well, if I were a really good player, let's call him Bryan Krist, who'd been screwed over by the team owners for an extra year of arbitration control, I'd certainly be disincentivized to rush back from injury, crash into walls, or do other such stuff until my last arb year.
          You would? Because you'd get paid a lot more if you were putting up mvp numbers every year rather than performing inconsistently. Teams are smart enough to look back more than 1 year.

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
            Well, you have to factor in the "he's a scumbag and a cheater" component, too.

I mean, the guy is an above average player but I would not want him anywhere near my team. The guy is a total disgrace.
            I don't think that will be a consideration. Hinch was his manager and baseball a forgiving sport unless your last name is Rose.

Comment

I don't think that will be a consideration. Hinch was his manager and baseball a forgiving sport unless your last name is Rose.
              Or Bonds, but yeah, the point stands.
              More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                Or Bonds, but yeah, the point stands.
                It would be refreshing if players, managers and owners actually held those in the game accountable for their actions but unfortunately that is not the world we live in.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                  You would? Because you'd get paid a lot more if you were putting up mvp numbers every year rather than performing inconsistently. Teams are smart enough to look back more than 1 year.
                  I'd be paid marginally more. Lindor got $341 mil over 10 years, with $50 million deferred over the next 10 years after this contract is done. Correa will probably get 8-9 years and $275-300 mil.

Sure, I could really push every year and potentially get more - but also have a greater chance of injury that reduces my numbers even more and craters my value. So, yeah, I'd take the extra day or two off here and there and be happy with a Correa-level contract every time.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                    Sure, I could really push every year and potentially get more - but also have a greater chance of injury that reduces my numbers even more and craters my value. So, yeah, I'd take the extra day or two off here and there and be happy with a Correa-level contract every time.
                    If you feel like this description matches that of an ultra competitive professional athlete (of which all of them are to get to that level), then our personal experiences with that type individual differ dramatically.

In my opinion it's extremely naive to think that kind of thing goes on to any kind of significant level. These guys were doing all kinds of bad things to their bodies during the steroid era in non-contract years for decades for a fraction of the money they get now.

Comment

Comment

That this was posted on the "All Lions" Fan Nation page tells you all you need to know about how the Lions are doing

Comment

[QUOTE=Pauly;416667]That this was posted on the "All Lions" Fan Nation page tells you all you need to know about how the Lions are doing [/QUOTE

I was surprised at first that it was posted on the All Lions page but after thinking about it, it falls right into the category of "the most Lions thing ever."

Comment

it falls right into the category of "the most Lions thing ever."
                            I thought we established that was the Bears

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                              I thought we established that was the Bears
                              Oh no. Bears not even close.

Comment

Oh no. Bears not even close.
                                It was a joke . Check the end of the historic bears thread

Comment

Working...
                                X