Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2019-20 Offseason Rumor Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    You mean 26 year old Jake Cave that plays for Minn. The one who made it through dollar days in our AL only 12 team 5x5 and managed to get through about 15 free picks in the reserve round only to find himself a sweet sweet bench role on the Hard Boiled Gregg's? That Jake Cave?

He has more potential than Clint Frazier.
    I would not have thought of the comp, but why is Cave preferable, other than he's a platoonable LHH? For starters, he's almost 2 years older and has less power. Defensively, I don't see much difference in the basic stats.

Frazier's biggest problem is the high pick expectations. He looks like an OK 3rd OF/DH sort of player. More to the point, he looks cheap to obtain.
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Quote Originally Posted by onejayhawk View Post
    I would not have thought of the comp
    You're welcome

but why is Cave preferable, other than he's a platoonable LHH? For starters, he's almost 2 years older
    For me they are very similar, which I think speaks to Frazier's LACK of trade value. The Yankees DFA'd Cave and traded him for a low level pitching prospect.

and has less power.
    Not really following you here. .204 ISO vs .209 ISO. Looks pretty much the same to me.

Defensively, I don't see much difference in the basic stats.
    I'd look deeper. Frazier has accumulated -1.7 dWAR in just 123 games. Cave is pretty close to replacement level in the OF at -.5 across 163 games.

Frazier's biggest problem is the high pick expectations. He looks like an OK 3rd OF/DH sort of player. More to the point, he looks cheap to obtain.
    I'm slightly confused. The topic started out by me saying that he wouldn't return much of anything in a trade and the counter is that he's a good guy to trade for because he's cheap to obtain? Huh/what?

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post

I'm slightly confused. The topic started out by me saying that he wouldn't return much of anything in a trade and the counter is that he's a good guy to trade for because he's cheap to obtain? Huh/what?
    Hey, that is my argument for trading for Cespedes!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    You're welcome
    For me they are very similar, which I think speaks to Frazier's LACK of trade value. The Yankees DFA'd Cave and traded him for a low level pitching prospect.
    Not really following you here. .204 ISO vs .209 ISO. Looks pretty much the same to me.
    I'd look deeper. Frazier has accumulated -1.7 dWAR in just 123 games. Cave is pretty close to replacement level in the OF at -.5 across 163 games.
    I also don't think he will bring much in a trade, but I think his 1st round draftpick status will keep the price up enough to spoil the market.

I guess you're right about being a true DH defensively. He isn't physically slow, but he plays really bad D. That said, his arm is good enough that can play RF no worse than LF. My point was that I expect the Yankees to move him and that he may have some value if he can get 500 AB.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

"I also don't think he [CFrazier] will bring much in a trade, but I think his 1st round draftpick status will keep the price up enough to spoil the market."

I assume you are talking about a weak fantasy league and not MLB?

a good tell on a player is when the fanatics who call local sports talk radio always try to make the same guy the centerpiece in any trade. even those dimwits know enough to try to dump him, yet they propose a trade that would make the other MLB clubs laugh.
    36th yr in same 12-team NL 5x5
    horrendous final week dropped me from a shot at 3rd to 6th
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

2020 candidates (keep up to 11)
    SP Scherzer 44, Samardzija 1, CSmith 1, Cueto 1, Marquez 10, Eflin 10
    RP Stanek 8
    C Realmuto 13, C Posey 12, 1B Votto 27, 1O Belt 10, 1O Beaty 10, SS BCrawford 9
    OF CDickerson 17, O1 Cooper 10, Dyson 8

Here the point is not what he might bring in a trade, but how much is he worth with regular AB. The answer seems to be, it's unlikely because there is no defensive value and the bat is not good enough to carry him.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Judge Jude View Post
    "I also don't think he [CFrazier] will bring much in a trade, but I think his 1st round draftpick status will keep the price up enough to spoil the market."

I assume you are talking about a weak fantasy league and not MLB?

a good tell on a player is when the fanatics who call local sports talk radio always try to make the same guy the centerpiece in any trade. even those dimwits know enough to try to dump him, yet they propose a trade that would make the other MLB clubs laugh.

Those call ins are hilarious! How about we package all of our garbage for your 1 diamond?