AFL Prospects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AFL Prospects

It seems weird that the Arizona Fall League is over at the same time as the World Series. That's life.

Who do you see as being ready to step into full time play in the spring? On one hand, AFL MVP Royce Lewis is on a team that has an established SS. He can swing to 2B or 3B, but other players are not as flexible. On the other hand, this was a chance for injured players to regain some momentum, eg Greg Deichmann who led the league in HR.

Who is going to have a real chance at starting time, who will make the big club, and who will be going back to MiLB?

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Jo Adell is going to be a beast

Comment

Originally posted by Big Tymer View Post
      Jo Adell is going to be a beast
      Adell isn't alone on that team. Brandon Marsh is in the same mix. Evidently the two are best buds, which usually means rivals as well. That said, Marsh is about a year older and does not have power that Adell does, but better defense and speed. Excepting SB, perhaps a better real life player than fantasy.

The one that shocked me was Royce Lewis. He is only 20 and did not hit a ton in AA this year, so I was not expecting .353/.411/.565 against this level of pitching. That said, everyone already has him in their top 10 or close to it.

J
      Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Royce is still a little bit of a mess as he changed his swing TY to ill effects. Not a SS but can likely stay on the dirt at 3B or even 2B as they are playing him around the diamond. I suspect you will see him fall on prospect lists to high teens but still a lot of reasons to be excited for him. Great signs of success in the AFL but real test will be in 2020 and whether he can sustain this success.

Comment

On the contrary. I suspect he will move up the lists now that he has shown he can hit higher level pitching with authority and has defensive chops for the IF.

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
            On the contrary. I suspect he will move up the lists now that he has shown he can hit higher level pitching with authority and has defensive chops for the IF.
            It would be odd for anyone to value 95 AB in the AFL over 566 AB in A+ and AA. I think he's a great prospect but don't see any reason he'd move up based on the small sample size.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
              It would be odd for anyone to value 95 AB in the AFL over 566 AB in A+ and AA. I think he's a great prospect but don't see any reason he'd move up based on the small sample size.
              AFL is a finishing school of a sort, so it will bear a disproportional weight. Also, it isn't valuing the AB over the season so much as explaining why he performed below expectations. Adjustments can have a negative impact at first, so the AFL indicates he is still on schedule a year further in. Hence a move up in the rankings as others vacate top spots.

J
              Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

If the AFL ever was a finishing school, it's not that now. It's mainly for players who didn't get enough playing time because they were hurt, and occasionally for someone who needs some extra AB to work on something. Teams will sometimes grab Rule 5 guys from their look in the AFL, but it's not regarded as a stepping stone to big-league playing time the following year aside from that.
                "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                  If the AFL ever was a finishing school, it's not that now. It's mainly for players who didn't get enough playing time because they were hurt, and occasionally for someone who needs some extra AB to work on something. Teams will sometimes grab Rule 5 guys from their look in the AFL, but it's not regarded as a stepping stone to big-league playing time the following year aside from that.
                  You're an insider, so I won't quibble much, but the last three MVPs are Gleyber Torres, Ronald Acuña and Keston Hiura. There is at least an element of showcasing and prepping top prospects. That said, the above will not apply to 90% of those attending. Players like Deichmann and Kyle Isabel are the rank and file.

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

You're an insider, so I won't quibble much, but the last three MVPs are Gleyber Torres, Ronald Acuña and Keston Hiura. There is at least an element of showcasing and prepping top prospects. That said, the above will not apply to 90% of those attending. Players like Deichmann and Kyle Isabel are the rank and file.

J
                    Odd to stop the history right before you got to Adam Engel and Greg Bird

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                      Odd to stop the history right before you got to Adam Engel and Greg Bird
                      Yet, they also fit the pattern. They just didn't impress as major leaguers. You can say similar things about #1 choices.

J
                      Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

The AFL was intended for teams to send their top prospects to play against other top prospects but these days it's mostly just teams sending players that need more ABs/IPs. Pitchers are typically mailing it in so offense should be taken with a grain of salt. Sure, you get good prospects there but that's not norm anymore.
                        I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

yes, I attended the Fall League last year.

there are a handful of strong pitching prospects - all of whom were coming off injuries so needed more innings.

the hitters are really good, though. saw Vlad Jr and Alonso last year (and Robert, Hoerner, and many others).
                          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                            The AFL was intended for teams to send their top prospects to play against other top prospects but these days it's mostly just teams sending players that need more ABs/IPs. Pitchers are typically mailing it in so offense should be taken with a grain of salt. Sure, you get good prospects there but that's not norm anymore.
                            I am not sure it ever was the norm. I said it was a finishing school. Sometimes that seems to mean finishing an interrupted season.

I do find it interesting that KC backed team won the championship.
                            Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

I do find it interesting that KC backed team won the championship.
                              They are always a mix of multiple teams right?

Comment

Working...
                              X