Big Trade in my AL Only league

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Trade in my AL Only league

We had our end of year dinner last night to hand out prize money and just hang out. I ended up making a rather big trade. Consensus was that I won the trade, hoping to get confirmation of that. It's a 12 team AL only with 6x6 scoring (AVG, OPS, HR, RBI, R, SB x ERA, WHIP, QS+1/2W, SV, HD, K).

I traded (contracts are 2019):

Sal Perez $10A
    Austin Meadows $22A
    Yolmer Sanchez $10A (kind of a joke throw in cause the guy likes him)
    Nick Madrigal $10M
    #7 overall pick in the minor league draft this year
    First Round pick in 2021

I got

Vladdy Jr $10A

I gave up a lot of pieces but got (I think) the best player in the deal. I also have the #3 pick in this years minor league draft and still have 8 prospects/picks left and can only keep 5 of them by the end of the draft. So I needed to move prospects/picks. I have Gary Sanchez for next year so Perez was expendable.

Thoughts?
    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Hmmm....Austin Meadows was spectacular last season, and while he didn't attain the heights of Vlad's prospect ratings, he was a consensus top 10 MLB prospect as late as 2017. If Vlad breaks out, I would think he probably doesn't have as good a season as Meadows had (which was valued at $32).

I would expect Vlad to continue to improve, and it's possible Meadows doesn't have as good a year, but Vlad would need to do a LOT to raise his season value from the $3 it was last season to $32.

Madrigal was also spectacular and possibly makes the team out of spring training.

I'd think a lot of things have to go your way (Vlad rapidly improving, Meadows declining, Madrigal not being promoted, Perez being mediocre, etc.) for you to walk away the clear winner.

Comment

I think you gave up some heavy pieces to get him, obviously, but it depends on how deep your keeper list is. The great thing about Vlad is he's a blue chip asset, still another 2 years to extension if i read the situation correctly. So whenever your contention window is there, you should be able to get multiple studs for him that might be the difference maker to winning a title.

It sounds like you had an abundance of prospects. Meadows at $22 is nice, but if you had a tight keeper list, I can see the wisdom in consolidating value in the singular asset of Vlad.
      Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

I'm with Wolf. You are obviously gambling, but there is usually value laying around. Consolidating gives you room to make a lot of small pickups.

J
        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

yeah, tough decision with Meadows looking so strong, but I think Madrigal will be a much better player IRL than fantasy ... and the ceiling on Vlad is sooo high it's worth the shot. He could make an incremental improvement next year ... or he could go nuts.
          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

I'll go with Revo...too much. Meadows could have a similar offensive output for the next 5 seasons, adding steals and defensive position as well. There's a chance that Vlad becomes a DH or a 1st baseman, bringing his value down a notch. Madrigal is going to give you speed and OBP, and Salvy is going to hit, not walk, but hit with power...
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

I'm in the "gave up too much" camp. Vlad may take a few years to fully develop. And Meadows is hitting for power and average right now while offering speed that Vlad will never have.
              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

If you're doing a trade to cut down your keeper list, I think you have to include the players you're going to be able to keep that you couldn't before as part of the "return". That generally makes it look better. So if you gave up Madrigal and your #7 pick this year, who did that make room for you to keep? Or would you have cut Madrigal?
                In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
                  If you're doing a trade to cut down your keeper list, I think you have to include the players you're going to be able to keep that you couldn't before as part of the "return". That generally makes it look better. So if you gave up Madrigal and your #7 pick this year, who did that make room for you to keep? Or would you have cut Madrigal?
                  Since he put Madrigal's contract as 10M, I assume there's a separate minor league keeper list.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                    Since he put Madrigal's contract as 10M, I assume there's a separate minor league keeper list.
                    For what it's worth my keeper league treats minors eligible players differently but we have a static set of 15 keepers regardless of type.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
                      As Revo suggested, we do have a separate minor league draft and keeper list. I had a combination of 10 and I could only keep 5. Madrigal was my best ranked prospect. My remaining prospects are Wander Franco $5M, Leodys Taveres $5M, Justus Sheffield $3M, Tristan McKenzie $5M. I have the #3 pick in this years minors league draft and two in the second and one in the third. If I keep all four minor leaguers I can only use one pick, if I drop one I can use two, etc. So I still need to make some trades. It wasn't so much about trading Madrigal so I could keep a specific player, it was more about making a trade for a player that I wanted.

I get that I gave up a lot and maybe I gave up too much; time will tell. If Vladdy put up the kind of numbers everyone was expecting him to there's no way I would even be able to make this trade.
                      I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                        As Revo suggested, we do have a separate minor league draft and keeper list. I had a combination of 10 and I could only keep 5. Madrigal was my best ranked prospect. My remaining prospects are Wander Franco $5M, Leodys Taveres $5M, Justus Sheffield $3M, Tristan McKenzie $5M. I have the #3 pick in this years minors league draft and two in the second and one in the third. If I keep all four minor leaguers I can only use one pick, if I drop one I can use two, etc. So I still need to make some trades. It wasn't so much about trading Madrigal so I could keep a specific player, it was more about making a trade for a player that I wanted.

I get that I gave up a lot and maybe I gave up too much; time will tell. If Vladdy put up the kind of numbers everyone was expecting him to there's no way I would even be able to make this trade.

um, I think you'll be happier when midwinter list come out as I think wander shall be SIGNIFICANTLY higher ranked than madrigal ...

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                          um, I think you'll be happier when midwinter list come out as I think wander shall be SIGNIFICANTLY higher ranked than madrigal ...
                          Copy that. Wander mashed last season. Granted, it was just high A ball, but he's still 18 years old.

J
                          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                            Copy that. Wander mashed last season. Granted, it was just high A ball, but he's still 18 years old.

J
                            started the year in A ball, finished like a stud in A+. 195 at bats, 26 walks/15 strikeouts...batted .340.

overall, wander had a walk to s.o. ratio of 56:35...simple amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                              Wander Franco has always been a significantly better fantasy prospect than Madrigal.

Comment

Working...
                              X