College athletes to get paid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College athletes to get paid?

California Gov. Gavin Newsom passed SB 206, also known as the Fair Pay to Play Act, into law Monday. The law allows college athletes to profit from their name, image and likeness.
    The bill will go into effect in 2023, and if the bill survives the expected court challenges, it could reshape the NCAA's business model.
    The formal signing of the bill was done on LeBron James' show on HBO called "The Shop."
    "Currently, student athletes are prohibited from being compensated even though their respective college or university makes millions from their athletic performance. That participation often comes at great risk to their health, academic success, and professional prospects," the Governor's office said in a statement.
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/30/sport...rnd/index.html
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

About time.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

I think the "get paid" tag is a misnomer. The law doesn't say that the schools need to pay athletes, it just allows them to make money from endorsements, running a youtube or instagram channel or whatnot. Make money like any normal student can make money if someone was willing to pay them.
      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

I like this. The college paying debate is another issue, and one I think is more complicated. But this is long overdue. I do not see how anyone but those making money off theze students would be against this.
        Last edited by Sour Masher; 10-01-2019, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Agree with others here that college athletes should be paid.

One thing to watch for is how this changes recruiting. Does it destroy the mid major universities from an athletics standpoint?

Comment

Yay California!
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
              Agree with others here that college athletes should be paid.

One thing to watch for is how this changes recruiting. Does it destroy the mid major universities from an athletics standpoint?
              Corruption will be through the roof for sure...right in line with anything related to the NCAA.

Comment

Great for the athletes and great for the Power 5 schools that have the boosters and supporters that can use the athletes likenesses and get them some cash. The losers I think will be mid-major and especially low major schools that don’t have the big dollar booster network that will allow the athletes to cash in. I image UK, Kansas and Alabama are feeling pretty good today while Morehead State, UMKC and Alabama A&M realize the gulf between them and the big boys just got a lot wider.

Comment

KVUE News
                  @KVUE
                  ·
                  19m
                  BREAKING: Florida Gov. DeSantis signs bill allowing college athletes to profit off their name, image, likeness
                  finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                  own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                  won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                  RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                  C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                  1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                  OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
                  X