Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: You ever lose your passion for a hobby?

Welcome to the Big Leagues, Kid Steve 2.0's Avatar

You ever lose your passion for a hobby?

I left fantasy baseball this year (about 5 years too late) and don't miss it at all.

What surprises me is that I seem to have lost my football mojo. I haven't watched but a few snaps this year.....don't miss it....something wrong with me?
    “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Welcome to the Big Leagues, Kid
    I'd say my passion for heckling you on Facebook comes and goes. Sometimes I'm really into it, and other times, not so much.

We folded a fantasy hockey league 5 years ago, and one of the owners just reached out to everyone to get it started again. The majority of owners seem interested, so sometimes the passion comes back and you just need a break.

I lost my football mojo pretty quickly after my kids started walking. I just couldn't justify spending three hours on a Sunday, let alone six or nine, rather than being out and about with my family. And when I stopped Sunday viewing, I quickly lost interest in Monday nights and Thursday nights, too, and now I barely even check the scores or highlights. I'm essentially MLB/NBA only now, and I don't really miss the NFL, and never cared about college football.

I'm pretty much only baseball now. The NFL is dead to me ( NFC Championship last year was final nail), college football with barely a pulse (only because I grew up in Nebraska). I agree that with kids it's hard to justify wasting hours watching sports.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

So what types of "hobbies" are we referring to? The kind I can sit on my fat ass and do? Or the ones that require me to go somewhere and exert a lot of energy for? Because those are long gone. But the ones I can sit on my ass for are all still around -- like fantasy baseball & fantasy football. Maybe it's because I'm in great leagues with longtime owners who are all mostly friends. I suppose once they start leaving it will be less fun. I'm in a baseball league where I don't know anyone and it kinda sucks. But the one where all the owners have been there for 15-20 years is fantastic.

IRL, I used to have season tickets for our CFL football team. I was a passionate fan. Now, if I see one game each season I'm doing well (on tv that is, it's been many many years since I've been to a game). I actually do kind of miss it, I love the game ... but there's only so much time available.

Like the other parents, I find it hard to watch any sports now that I have kids. Fantasy sports is probably the last thing keeping me informed of any sports. I don't play fantasy hockey so I mostly don't know anything about hockey anymore, except whether the Devils win or lose. I can watch parts of football games during the weekend, and maybe catch an inning of baseball during the week.

Quote Originally Posted by revo View Post
    So what types of "hobbies" are we referring to? The kind I can sit on my fat ass and do? Or the ones that require me to go somewhere and exert a lot of energy for? Because those are long gone. But the ones I can sit on my ass for are all still around -- like fantasy baseball & fantasy football. Maybe it's because I'm in great leagues with longtime owners who are all mostly friends. I suppose once they start leaving it will be less fun. I'm in a baseball league where I don't know anyone and it kinda sucks. But the one where all the owners have been there for 15-20 years is fantastic.
    My local FF league has started drafting in a restaurant....I find it distracting and difficult to interact with everyone....wind up just talking to the guys sitting near me. When we used to do it at a school on a Sunday, I found it to be more of a social event than it as become.

As far as watching football, I've just found other things that I'd rather do with my weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by umjewman View Post
    I'd say my passion for heckling you on Facebook comes and goes. Sometimes I'm really into it, and other times, not so much.
    Come on man, you should be heckling every one of my FB posts.