No announcement yet.

You ever lose your passion for a hobby?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You ever lose your passion for a hobby?

I left fantasy baseball this year (about 5 years too late) and don't miss it at all.

What surprises me is that I seem to have lost my football mojo. I haven't watched but a few snaps this year.....don't miss it....something wrong with me?
    “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

I'd say my passion for heckling you on Facebook comes and goes. Sometimes I'm really into it, and other times, not so much.

Comment

We folded a fantasy hockey league 5 years ago, and one of the owners just reached out to everyone to get it started again. The majority of owners seem interested, so sometimes the passion comes back and you just need a break.

Comment

I lost my football mojo pretty quickly after my kids started walking. I just couldn't justify spending three hours on a Sunday, let alone six or nine, rather than being out and about with my family. And when I stopped Sunday viewing, I quickly lost interest in Monday nights and Thursday nights, too, and now I barely even check the scores or highlights. I'm essentially MLB/NBA only now, and I don't really miss the NFL, and never cared about college football.

Comment

I'm pretty much only baseball now. The NFL is dead to me ( NFC Championship last year was final nail), college football with barely a pulse (only because I grew up in Nebraska). I agree that with kids it's hard to justify wasting hours watching sports.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

So what types of "hobbies" are we referring to? The kind I can sit on my fat ass and do? Or the ones that require me to go somewhere and exert a lot of energy for? Because those are long gone. But the ones I can sit on my ass for are all still around -- like fantasy baseball & fantasy football. Maybe it's because I'm in great leagues with longtime owners who are all mostly friends. I suppose once they start leaving it will be less fun. I'm in a baseball league where I don't know anyone and it kinda sucks. But the one where all the owners have been there for 15-20 years is fantastic.

Comment

IRL, I used to have season tickets for our CFL football team. I was a passionate fan. Now, if I see one game each season I'm doing well (on tv that is, it's been many many years since I've been to a game). I actually do kind of miss it, I love the game ... but there's only so much time available.
              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Like the other parents, I find it hard to watch any sports now that I have kids. Fantasy sports is probably the last thing keeping me informed of any sports. I don't play fantasy hockey so I mostly don't know anything about hockey anymore, except whether the Devils win or lose. I can watch parts of football games during the weekend, and maybe catch an inning of baseball during the week.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                  So what types of "hobbies" are we referring to? The kind I can sit on my fat ass and do? Or the ones that require me to go somewhere and exert a lot of energy for? Because those are long gone. But the ones I can sit on my ass for are all still around -- like fantasy baseball & fantasy football. Maybe it's because I'm in great leagues with longtime owners who are all mostly friends. I suppose once they start leaving it will be less fun. I'm in a baseball league where I don't know anyone and it kinda sucks. But the one where all the owners have been there for 15-20 years is fantastic.
                  My local FF league has started drafting in a restaurant....I find it distracting and difficult to interact with everyone....wind up just talking to the guys sitting near me. When we used to do it at a school on a Sunday, I found it to be more of a social event than it as become.

As far as watching football, I've just found other things that I'd rather do with my weekends.

Comment

Originally posted by umjewman View Post
                    I'd say my passion for heckling you on Facebook comes and goes. Sometimes I'm really into it, and other times, not so much.
                    Come on man, you should be heckling every one of my FB posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
                      Come on man, you should be heckling every one of my FB posts.
                      I'll try, but strategic deployment is better. If I do every post, it seems almost mean.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                        I lost my football mojo pretty quickly after my kids started walking. I just couldn't justify spending three hours on a Sunday, let alone six or nine, rather than being out and about with my family. And when I stopped Sunday viewing, I quickly lost interest in Monday nights and Thursday nights, too, and now I barely even check the scores or highlights. I'm essentially MLB/NBA only now, and I don't really miss the NFL, and never cared about college football.
                        I can see that Brian, but my kids are grown. I can watch if I want. I used to spend all day Sunday watching NFL games. Maybe I'm just burned out.....I don't care for Thursday night games at all (except Thanksgiving) and just can't get myself hyped up to watch all day on Sunday like I used to. I quit watching college ball year ago (when the kids were little), but got back into it when the younger daughter was attending school at Arkansas. Now, I'm just kinda burned out again.

Comment

sounds like you need to find otter ways to entertain yourself.
                          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I've dropped football, hockey and basketball for different reasons. Football, I cant root for guys to destroy their brains and bodies anymore. I cant watch. Same with wrestling and UFC. I've shied away from the brutality.

Hockey, I found the entire game decided by ticky-tacky bullshit penalties. The entire game decided by crappy ref calls and power plays. I just lost passion for the game.

NBA lost me with the referee scandal. Finding out the amount of influence officials hold over the game, and seeing such awful calls, again, games being decided largely by questionable foul calls. It just lost me.

Baseball is the last sport determined largely by the players on the field, and the lack of outside/umpire influence keeps me faithful.

Fantasy baseball has stuck with me. Some ebbs and flows, but usually maintains my interest year round. I love list making and prospect hunting through the winter.

I restarted my campus radio show for the last year, after 4 years on air through university. It's been quite fun having my own space to talk and play music, 2 hours every Sunday. But I view it as temporary, the funding cuts from Conservatives will kill it in a year or so. Soaking up the last of the good times.
                            Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                              sounds like you need to find otter ways to entertain yourself.
                              Her name is Kathleen.

Comment

Working...
                              X