Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
    I was not clear enough in my post.

I would be gleeful if every "guilty beyond a reasonable doubt" child molester who was given their due process was legally executed. No one who is innocent.
    I'm not following you. Everyone on death row has been determined to be "guilty beyond a reasonable doubt", but we know we execute lots of innocent people.

Is your point a theoretical one? Just "I wish bad people were dead"? If so, that's nice but not practical.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
      I'm not following you. Everyone on death row has been determined to be "guilty beyond a reasonable doubt", but we know we execute lots of innocent people.

Is your point a theoretical one? Just "I wish bad people were dead"? If so, that's nice but not practical.
      In response to Gregg saying that everyone's death should cause our hearts to be broken and not gleeful. If I see a guilty (admitting to the molestation) child molester killed, then my heart would be gleeful and not broken. It's that simple.
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

In response to Gregg saying that everyone's death should cause our hearts to be broken and not gleeful. If I see a guilty (admitting to the molestation) child molester killed, then my heart would be gleeful and not broken. It's that simple.
        OK I grasp what you are saying. Although even stated this way there are still issues (look at how many coerced confessions we've had).

Regardless, seeing a human life lost is not a cause for celebration. If anything there should be remorse over the lost opportunity of a life that was misused.

And that's putting aside the concept that when judged by our worst moments, I'd guess everyone could be judged as a terrible human. If you think you'd look good under the microscope of your worst moment then you are a much better person than anyone I've ever met. That not intended to diminish the grotesque crimes of those you are talking about - there's no doubt that that class of individuals are as close to pure evil as we have. But the reality is that humans are extremely flawed - all of us. And killing each other for those flaws should not bring joy.

Comment

I was not clear enough in my post.

I would be gleeful if every "guilty beyond a reasonable doubt" child molester who was given their due process was legally executed. No one who is innocent.
          So would you enjoy being the executioner?

Comment

OK I grasp what you are saying. Although even stated this way there are still issues (look at how many coerced confessions we've had).

Regardless, seeing a human life lost is not a cause for celebration. If anything there should be remorse over the lost opportunity of a life that was misused.

And that's putting aside the concept that when judged by our worst moments, I'd guess everyone could be judged as a terrible human. If you think you'd look good under the microscope of your worst moment then you are a much better person than anyone I've ever met. That not intended to diminish the grotesque crimes of those you are talking about - there's no doubt that that class of individuals are as close to pure evil as we have. But the reality is that humans are extremely flawed - all of us. And killing each other for those flaws should not bring joy.
            To each his own. As the Yardbirds sang,

"Mister you're a better man than I"
            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
              So would you enjoy being the executioner?
              Not sure.

Do you guys grasp how terrible molesting a child is? It affects the child THE REST OF THEIR LIFE. It never just goes away. It cause many different types of mental issues. And it affects everyone close to that child. So I will enjoy watching those monsters die.

Comment

Not sure.

Do you guys grasp how terrible molesting a child is? It affects the child THE REST OF THEIR LIFE. It never just goes away. It cause many different types of mental issues. And it affects everyone close to that child. So I will enjoy watching those monsters die.
                I wish life was so black and white. Good vs evil. Those who get to live vs those who should die simply because I think so.

It's interesting how you describe that scenario affecting the rest of their life. It varies based on the research but somewhere around ~30% of sex offenders were indeed abused as children as well. So are those individuals the victims or the abusers?

Eh, screw it, lets just go ahead and kill them when they are children to avoid the mess later, right? You get abused, you die. Seems fair.

Comment

Eh, screw it, lets just go ahead and kill them when they are children to avoid the mess later, right? You get abused, you die. Seems fair.
                  Boy, have we gotten far afield in this thread, but why not, right?

I get the general push back Mith's point and stance on this, but you lost me with this last line. He isn't advocating for some pre-cog Minority Report system.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                    Boy, have we gotten far afield in this thread, but why not, right?

I get the general push back Mith's point and stance on this, but you lost me with this last line. He isn't advocating for some pre-cog Minority Report system.
                    I know he wasn't sorry for the lack of clarity! I wasn't implying that Mith wanted to do that.

I'm saying life isn't so black and white good vs evil that people are 100% good or 100% evil and deserve to die at a whim because I decided (and lets be clear, that's where this started, just the idea of vigilante justice).

I'd love to rid the world of sexual predators and I have direct experience with this topic within my family with a close relative being abused as a child. So trust me, I get it. But like I was trying to explain above, it's not that clear. If the abuser was also abused, something which seems to have a direct correlation in some cases, are they still up for the vigilante death penalty?

I think it's important that we step back and realize that vigilante murders are a baaaad idea regardless of context.

Comment

• Sorry so late back to this thread.

While I appreciate some people's value of a single life, I don't believe your sentiments are shared in the same capacity by the rest of society and people in general.

We live in a society where the value of a life is quantified monetarily. There are many people who value a dollar over another persons life. A society where one's faith is more valuable than another's life. There are simply too many people who exist whop do not care about anyone or anything but themselves. history is FULL of examples of those who will kill you or abuse you or generally make your life shit and not care in the least, not listen to reason, and some actually revel in their callousness/casual attitude toward others pain and suffering.

People, well some at least, just fucking suck.

I do not believe that saving ONE life is worth allowing 100 assholes to continue their shit.

I don't believe our justice system should allow the guilty to walk to save ONE innocent life.

If we made the act of knowingly misrepresenting the truth an offense that resulted in 10 years hard labor in prison, most of the lying would stop.

If you join the KKK or the Nazi party, you made a choice and that choice has consequences--getting shot is one of them. I have NO sympathy for people who suffer because they knowingly choose to fuck up.

I, like others, would not shed a tear for any Piece of shit meeting their end because they were being an asshole.

If it were legal, I'd gladly walk into a KKK meeting or Neo Nazi group and unload an AK47 into them. Go home (should I survive), fix a steak, have a beer and sleep like a baby. I've never killed anyone yet, but I know I'm not prone to feeling sorry for those of their ilk and have justifiably been accused of being a mini Thanos.

I applaud you who keep believing in the best of humanity and I hope one day we will evolve to that place, but right now--it's about survival--and If I have to pick who lives and who dies, it's gonna be the assholes like Proud Boys, Nazis and KKK (pick your racist group) who take the dirt naps.

Sorry if that disappoints or outrages some of you, but that's how I feel.

Take care.
                      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I know he wasn't sorry for the lack of clarity! I wasn't implying that Mith wanted to do that.

I'm saying life isn't so black and white good vs evil that people are 100% good or 100% evil and deserve to die at a whim because I decided (and lets be clear, that's where this started, just the idea of vigilante justice).

I'd love to rid the world of sexual predators and I have direct experience with this topic within my family with a close relative being abused as a child. So trust me, I get it. But like I was trying to explain above, it's not that clear. If the abuser was also abused, something which seems to have a direct correlation in some cases, are they still up for the vigilante death penalty?

I think it's important that we step back and realize that vigilante murders are a baaaad idea regardless of context.
                        I'm with you here.

More related to Mith's clarified stance of wanting to watch with glee executions by the state of convicted monsters, I wouldn't be in favor of public exestuations with ratings and everyone eating popcorn and cheering at home either. Just a disturbing thought, like the kids cheering and throwing rocks at public executions back in the day. The blood lust involved, even when it seems the person everyone is cheering as they watch die deserves it, is a dangerous and disturbing thing to cultivate in a society, or an individual.

Comment

I'm with you here.

More related to Mith's clarified stance of wanting to watch with glee executions by the state of convicted monsters, I wouldn't be in favor of public exestuations with ratings and everyone eating popcorn and cheering at home either. Just a disturbing thought, like the kids cheering and throwing rocks at public executions back in the day. The blood lust involved, even when it seems the person everyone is cheering as they watch die deserves it, is a dangerous and disturbing thing to cultivate in a society, or an individual.
                          I don't think anyone has called for public executions, just that they'd be happy someone who they consider bad--was dead.
                          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                            Sorry so late back to this thread.

While I appreciate some people's value of a single life, I don't believe your sentiments are shared in the same capacity by the rest of society and people in general.

We live in a society where the value of a life is quantified monetarily. There are many people who value a dollar over another persons life. A society where one's faith is more valuable than another's life. There are simply too many people who exist whop do not care about anyone or anything but themselves. history is FULL of examples of those who will kill you or abuse you or generally make your life shit and not care in the least, not listen to reason, and some actually revel in their callousness/casual attitude toward others pain and suffering.

I do not believe that saving ONE life is worth allowing 100 assholes to continue their shit.

I don't believe our justice system should allow the guilty to walk to save ONE innocent life.

If we made the act of knowingly misrepresenting the truth an offense that resulted in 10 years hard labor in prison, most of the lying would stop.

If you join the KKK or the Nazi party, you made a choice and that choice has consequences--getting shot is one of them. I have NO sympathy for people who suffer because they knowingly choose to fuck up.

I, like others, would not shed a tear for any Piece of shit meeting their end because they were being an asshole.

If it were legal, I'd gladly walk into a KKK meeting or Neo Nazi group and unload an AK47 into them. Go home (should I survive), fix a steak, have a beer and sleep like a baby. I've never killed anyone yet, but I know I'm not prone to feeling sorry for those of their ilk and have justifiably been accused of being a mini Thanos.

I applaud you who keep believing in the best of humanity and I hope one day we will evolve to that place, but right now--it's about survival--and If I have to pick who lives and who dies, it's gonna be the assholes like Proud Boys, Nazis and KKK (pick your racist group) who take the dirt naps.

Take care.
                            Have you seen the documentary Accidental Courtesy--Daryl Davis, Race, and America? That dude is "better than me" as they say in Jamaica. I couldn't face those that hate me like he does and try to save them from that hate. But he has, many times (over 200 converted KKK members that have hung up their robes), building an army of other advocates for change. Where you would fill that room full of neo-nazis with bullets (probably killings lots of kids, because those sick/crazy fucks often bring their kids to meeting to indoctrinate them in hate from a young age, and were kids brought by their sick parents too, once upon a time), Daryl goes and show them a better way. His way is changing the world for the good. Your way would not. It would create more hate.

https://accidentalcourtesy.com/

Comment

Have you seen the documentary Accidental Courtesy--Daryl Davis, Race, and America? That dude is "better than me" as they say in Jamaica. I couldn't face those that hate me like he does and try to save them from that hate. But he has, many times, building an army of other advocates for change. Where you would fill that room full of neo-nazis with bullets (probably killings lots of kids, because those sick/crazy fucks often bring their kids to meeting to indoctrinate them in hate from a young age, and were kids brought by their sick parents too, once upon a time), Daryl goes and show them a better way. His way is changing the world for the good. Your way would not. It would create more hate.

https://accidentalcourtesy.com/
                              Like I said--I am not like you, though I can see your viewpoint and at onetime, shared it. Now I'm more realistic and am not gonna tolerate anything I don' t have to and taking shit from bullies is one of those things. I also don't believe people are inherently good--not anymore. More hate? It's hard to believe there could BE more.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post

Not following the correlation though. Living in a society where people's lives are quantified monetarily does not implicitly suggest that I, or anyone, is required to agree. In fact, it shines a light on the fact that we should not.

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                                On this note we agree.

How about 2? Or 100? If we're putting it to numbers, then at this point we're just quantifying the value of a life. We're just negotiating, which, as you seem to be stating above, is not the best way to value life. And I'd agree.

Back on the topic of the thread. Who decides the guilt in such a justice system? Are we basing it on evidence gathered by the police? Makes it interesting.

That's a tricky one. Policing thought to that degree. I wouldn't want to live in that situation, and I doubt you would either. If a random jury of your peers decide you were lying, 10 years of your life is gone? It's nice when you think of it from the idea of getting rid of the "bad guys", but to be fair almost everyone is a "bad guy" to someone else. Heck lets take most of the people on this board. To a jury of Trump supporters, we're all the bad guy, and likely lying. Lock us all up!

Again, it's nice with your examples. Those people are disgusting. But flip it around and the majority of people who are in a particular area think the word "democrat" is worse than the word "KKK", and you've established a bad precedent.

If it were legal, I'd gladly walk into a KKK meeting or Neo Nazi group and unload an AK47 into them.
                                [sic]
                                It's not about believing in the best of humanity though. In fact it's a realization that humanity itself is the real evil, and that's all of us.

The proud boys, Nazi's and KKK are all about hate towards others. That's what it boils down to. It's disgusting. But killing individuals that support that hate doesn't remove it. You just turn yourself into another person for someone else to hate. Many of those people you just killed have kids, and if you don't think that they will grow up hating everything you're about, you're crazy. So you've just extended the cycle of hate by doing that.

Take care.
                                Not disappointed or outraged personally!

Comment

Working...
                                X