No announcement yet.

Police Officers Are Mostly Parasites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No one can deny police incompetencies and abuses (and Thunder Bay seems to have more than its fair share), and we need to work to mitigate these things with better vetting, training, and oversight. However, TW, do you really believe the world would be a better place if there were no police? Do you deny that they serve an essential function in society, and that if they all were fired tomorrow, Thunder Bay and the rest of the world would be worse off for it?
    Last edited by Sour Masher; 11-10-2019, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
      No one can deny police incompetencies and abuses (and Thunder Bay seems to have more than its fair share), and we need to work to mitigate these things with better vetting, training, and oversight. However, TW, do you really believe the world would be a better place if there were no police? Do you deny that they serve an essential function in society, and that if they all were fired tomorrow, Thunder Bay and the rest of the world would be worse off for it?
      No, I'm not saying police don't serve valid functions. Just saying that when the system grants the highest levels of protection to the worst of their ranks, the entire system suffers. I think we're all pretty much in agreement that there needs to be better accountability from police on a wide scale.

I just get sick of seeing examples of widespread police corruption. How many officers conspired to keep Rodney Reed in prison? How many are currently fighting to see through his death sentence? All of these cases of officers planting evidence, or driving people out to the woods, or turning off body cams. They happen unanimously, several officers shutting off body cams, several officers involved in evidence planting, several levels of forgery and evil to keep an innocent on death row in service of keeping an officer free. None of these cases involve one solo bad apple officer. That's why I bring it up. These are systemic issues.

Personally, I would only call police after a crime, never seeking to prevent or de-escalate. But I guess every case is different.
      Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Yeah, Rage Against the Machine said it years ago. Sadly, "some of those that work forces are the same that burn crosses." At least these days, there is more light shining on everyone. I have seen people fired for actions caught on video or even social media posts. 8t may seem worse, because we see more, but I think it is slowly getting better.

Comment

NSFW: Language
          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
            NSFW: Language
            My mother-in-law was right there behind them on the highway when the shooting started. It was nuts. She is shaken up about it. She couldn't believe what was happening.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
              My mother-in-law was right there behind them on the highway when the shooting started. It was nuts. She is shaken up about it. She couldn't believe what was happening.
              It's a pretty horrifying endangerment of the public. Video shows cops shooting from behind the cover of a slow rolling SUV, could have easily been your mother-in-law. Basically, they're using civilians as human shields. Incredible, but not surprising level of incompetance.
              Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                It's a pretty horrifying endangerment of the public. Video shows cops shooting from behind the cover of a slow rolling SUV, could have easily been your mother-in-law. Basically, they're using civilians as human shields. Incredible, but not surprising level of incompetance.
                Yeah, I can't believe they were doing that. Really scary, and a really sad ending for that UPS driver. It could have resulted in more civilian casualties.

Comment

I'll just leave this here: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/i-...ple/ar-BBXS8Ta

Comment

On the other side, this is tragic: https://www.foxnews.com/us/arkansas-...eadly-incident

And this: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...tat?li=BBnb7Kz

Comment

• Originally posted by Status Coup
                      While the South Bend Police Department arrested a black resident on Wednesday, officers gleefully quoted a scene from Quentin Tarantino’s “Django Unchained” in which hooded KKK members bicker amongst themselves while riding to kill Jamie Fox’s character, Django.

The individual being arrested, 21-year-old African American Marko Mosgrove, broadcasted his arrest to Facebook. Multiple officers with guns and shields over their faces rammed into the man’s home before they discovered his phone was livestreaming.

“Hey, that phone is recording,” an officer says, six minutes and 17 seconds into the livestream. The officers then turn the phone around, resulting in the screen going black.

But the audio continued broadcasting throughout the arrest as officers reenacted the film’s scene.

18 minutes and 23 seconds into the livestream, an unknown officer giggles while asking: “You know what’s a good idea for your kid? Is a skull mask in case you have to shoot a guy.”

“Dude, this is how you rob banks, alright?” another officer responds. A few seconds later, an unknown officer imitates a KKK member from the film struggling to see through his Klan hood.

“I can’t see fu**king sh*t out of this thing!,” the officer says while laughing, mimicking the scene from Tarantino’s Western bloodbath where KKK members argue with one another over their Klan hoods not fitting their faces.

An officer responds by asking if the quote was from the film “The Boondock Saints.”

“No, Django Unchained,” the other officer responds. An officer then continues to quote from the KKK scene, mimicking a Klan member who defended his wife who worked for hours making the hoods for the KKK members.

“My wife was up all…” the officer says before audio temporarily cuts out. Another officer responds by continuing the reenactment, quoting the KKK member from the scene who tried to diffuse the situation.

“I think we all agree that these were a nice idea,” the officer imitates.

Status Coup cannot identify the officers who were involved with the arrest or reenactment of the KKK scene from the film.

The campaign for presidential candidate Pete Buttigieg, who is still the Mayor of South Bend until January 2020, has not responded to Status Coup’s request for comment as of the time of publishing. A spokesperson for the South Bend Police Department has also not responded to multiple requests for comment.

Dialeshanailon Nailon, the mother of the arrested young black male, told Status Coup the racism she saw on her son’s livestream wasn’t a surprise.

“They definitely have a history of it,” she said about the South Bend Police Department.

The comments weren’t “fair or funny,” she continued. “We’re supposed to be able to trust them and they’re here to serve and protect and that’s not what’s going on.” [...]

On the day of her son’s arrest, changes to the South Bend Police Department’s officer body camera policy were approved. But in response to a reporter’s question on what those changes were, a spokesperson for Mayor Buttigieg instructed the reporter to file a public records request for a copy of the new policy.

The lack of transparency from Buttigieg on the changes to the body camera policy comes on the heels of Politico reporting that Buttigieg’s presidential campaign omitted major wealthy bundlers raising money for the campaign from the list it released to the media.

Officers’ body cameras have been a hotbed issue in South Bend after the fatal police shooting of 54-year-old African American Eric Logan. During the incident, South Bend police sergeant Ryan O’Neill had his body camera turned off.
                      South Bend Officers Caught On Tape

Buttigieg's issues with his police department have been consistently brushed aside by most of the members here. I think its important. This is what you get when you fire the black officers and defend the racists in your department. It's what's happened in my community as well.

Comment

• From Thunder Bay, about a few weeks ago. This was the text attached to describe a gruesome facebook livestream of an assault on a small, middle-aged Indigenous woman for allegedly stealing a goddamn chocolate bar. Something that costs the corporation less than a fucking dollar. Police didn't assault the woman, but they did arrest her without questioning or further pursuing the assholes that smashed her face into the pavement over a chocolate bar.

On November 29, there was a violent and racist incident at Renco Foods in Fort William. A woman was held down and beaten by two security guards for over 5 minutes after being accused of stealing a chocolate bar. Her face was made bloody when one of the security guards used their knee on the back of her head to smash her face on the concrete. At the end of the video the police arrest the victim of a violent attack.

*Based on the evidence available in the video, this is a CRIMINAL ASSAULT*

The scale of this punishment does not relate to the scale of the accused crime. The media has not covered this. This woman could have a strong civil suit against that security guard and the guy who seems to be acting as a plain clothed security guard.

According to the law, a security guard (like all members of the public) may use force as long as they act on reasonable grounds. However, individuals who use force are also criminally responsible for any excess of force in these circumstances. For information about the laws guiding security guards [...]

We've already confronted the management at Renco. They explained the security guard was no longer working at this business. However, we were lied to and they both remain working at Renco’s. There is a much larger problem involving racism, colonialism and criminalizing poverty.

Where do we go from here? What can we as a community do for this victim, who may be in jail for the crime of being abused?
                        This is the entire racist (and classist) culture, supported at every level, and abuses ignored throughout. I've seen several of these security guard abuse videos. One of a security guard, in the process of confronting a small Indigenous teen of theft, picked up the teen and slammed them to the ground to subdue them. Thankfully, the outcry over that video was enough to warrant an assault charge on the security guard, but I think most assaults from police or security guards are largely ignored as "part of a tough job" by the majority of locals, and only ever pursued for charges or work repercussions if the incident is both recorded and goes viral. So 99% of assaults are given a free pass. It's a total police deference culture.

Comment

• The term “Starlight Tours” refers to the police practice of taking sometimes intoxicated Indigenous individuals out of town in the dead of winter without a jacket or proper foot wear and leaving them there to walk back into town. The practice was believed to be common in parts of Saskatoon Canada in the early 90’s and it lead to the deaths of several adults and adolescents within the Indigenous Peoples community.

The Saskatoon freezing deaths were a series of deaths of Canadian indigenous people in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan in the 2000s. Their deaths were caused by members of the Saskatoon Police Service, officers of which arrested Aboriginal men and then drove them out of the city in the dead of winter, and abandoned them there.

Victims who died from hypothermia include Rodney Naistus, Lawrence Wegner, and Neil Stonechild. Naistus and Wegner died in 2000 and their bodies were discovered on the outskirts of Saskatoon. Inquests in 2001 and 2002 into their deaths determined their deaths were due to hypothermia. The inquest jury's recommendations all related to police policies and police/Aboriginal relations.

Neil Stonechild's body was found in 1990 in a field outside Saskatoon.

In January 2000, Darrell Night was dropped off on the outskirts of Saskatoon but was able to call a taxi after walking to the nearby Queen Elizabeth Power Station. The two officers involved, constables Dan Hatchen and Ken Munson of the Saskatoon Police Service, claimed that they had simply given Night a ride home and dropped him off at his own request, but were two cops convicted of unlawful confinement in September 2001 and sentenced to eight months in prison.

The incident was the subject of the National Film Board of Canada documentary Two Worlds Colliding by Tasha Hubbard.

The Saskatoon police initially insisted these were isolated incidents. But in 2003, police chief Russell Sabo admitted that the force had been dumping First Nations people outside the city for years, after revealing that in 1976 an officer was disciplined for taking an Aboriginal woman to the outskirts of the city and abandoning her there.

On April 21, 2018, Ken Thomas reported that he was picked up by two Saskatoon Police officers and dropped off outside city limits at night in the cold.
                          This was also from Facebook.

Thunder Bay police have the same reputation. They also had a police chief that would take intoxicated Indigenous people, and put them on buses and trains out of town (which, the closest significant city is 8 hours drive away in any direction, so it's a major fuck-over for a poor person). He later spent 8 years as the mayor. This shit never changes, when the local culture is toxified by this automatic response to defend racism, the cycle never ends. What a shitty place.

Comment

• Another of my local police stories.

Kwandibens was heavily intoxicated, and while he apparently preferred to be dropped off at detox or the hospital, Soltys brought him back to the police station. Soltys's lawyer in the disciplinary hearing says that was because detox facilities were full, and the hospital would not have accepted him.

Surveillance footage from the police station shows Soltys dragging Kwandibens by one foot to a cell, with Kwandibens’ head and upper body at one point hitting a garbage bin, producing an audible noise. Two other officers were with Soltys throughout most of the interaction.

Soltys can be heard referring to Kwandibens as “Dino the dinosaur,” saying the words “sack of shit” – a phrase his lawyer claims was not directed at Kwandibens, but rather a general expression of frustration – and telling him, “walk like a man – you got drunk like a man.”

Soltys is also heard saying “Oh, why is everyone a child?” and “I like these guys that get so shit drunk, then they can’t even walk,” and makes reference to “running a babysitting service.”

The footage was recently brought to the attention of the Police Chief Sylvia Hauth, after a coroner reviewed tape from the same day concerning a separate incident of a death in police custody. That presumably refers to an inquest into the death of Don Mamakwa, who died in custody on Aug. 13, 2014. The Chief initiated disciplinary proceedings against Soltys after reviewing the footage.

The lawyer representing police in the hearing said the case is bound to make an already fragile relationship with the Indigenous community even more difficult.

“It’s no secret the Thunder Bay Police Service does have relationship problems with the Indigenous community,” she said. “This obviously sets us back."
                            https://www.tbnewswatch.com/local-ne...us-man-2004581

They found the footage completely accidentally, while investigating a separate wrongful death case from the same day, and within the footage, 2 officers idly watch as it happens.

He got docked 12 hours of pay though, so it's all good.

Comment

• Racist NYPD are having a party, assaulting black people for not social distancing. Which in itself is a violation of social distancing! Fire these scumbags!

Cops literally attacking, beating, pepper-spraying peaceful people, only if they're black. Meanwhile, I saw a picture of a park in NY over the weekend packed to the tits with white people, all of whom had a great time without police enforcement.

Cops found assaulting black residents for no reason? Desk duty. Oh, they've had multiple complaints against them for police brutality, costing the city hundreds of thousands and tying up the courts? You say you want them fired AND charged? Nope, sorry. Desk duty.

I've said all along, it's the complete and total lack of holding bad apples accountable that spoils the whole bunch.

The piece of shit officer who dehumanized an Indigenous man and let him die, written about in the previous post should be all the proof you need that police are entirely unaccountable, but nobody wanted to touch that one I guess.

Comment

• When considering any group of people in large numbers, a certain percentage of them are going to be bad and do bad. This becomes all the more troubling when you give a group more power. You see it with every government in the world. Hell, a third doctor in Russia who criticized the state's COVID-19 response mysteriously died by falling out of a window. Yeah, right, what a coincidence!

I think focusing in on any one group of empowered people is bound to break your heart. I cope with that by widening my view so that I am overwhelmed by both the scope and magnitude of our abuse of power, our hatred, our pettiness and stupidity, to the point it numbs me.

And then I look again, and I see at that scale, there is also a hell of a lot of good too, and I realize that is how we all march on. Just like at the beginning of the universe when all the matter and antimatter canceled each other out, something mysterious happened so that there was a tiny fraction more of matter, and thus the universe exists, and we exist.

We can and should, as individuals living in the system, rage against the bad, do the very best we can to ensure the balance remains ever so slightly tipped more toward good than bad, otherwise we are done. But it breaks our hearts if we allow ourselves to believe that we can actually put out all of the fires, if we believe we are not continually choosing between flawed choices, because people are flawed, as a whole, and any system of government and power we set up to control individual wrongdoing will inevitably lead to institutional wrongdoing. At the largest scale, it becomes a calculation of what serves the greater good. On the whole, I think police and our government serve the greater good, even with all the corruption, the system abuses, the violations of rights that go on every single day. If that ever falls out of balance, I hope we don't end up like N. Korea where I believe the balance would be in favor of burning it all down and starting over in hopes of a less corrupt and oppressive system (but still not flawless, never that).
                                Last edited by Sour Masher; 05-05-2020, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X